Page 73 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

1. Top | #721
    Archived
    Total Posts
    South Korea is denser than the US. Seoul is denser than NYC.

2. Top | #722
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    No, it shows that it's not Trump's fault.
    What's not his fault? Downplaying the actual threat, failing to heed early warnings, impeding the flow of materiel - all his fault, as are the resulting deaths. Funny you should try to exonerate him, since you are guilty of the same thing, just to a more impotent degree:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life 3-16 View Post
    My prediction is that by April we will be laughing going,
    "Remember how everyone panicked over the coronavirus
    because the media started fear mongering?"
    Are you laughing yet Halfie? Yeah? Then let me remind you what you posted four short days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life 3-25 View Post
    This quarantine will work. I guarantee it. April 12 we will be up and running.
    The cases are going to start declining in the U.S. starting around the next few days.
    By April 1, we will see a steady downstream and be on our way out.
    Still planning to go to church on the 12th are you?
    That would be incredibly stupid.
    Almost as stupid as your refusal to admit that all your blather is bullshit.

New and active cases are still coming in at nearly 20,000 a day. We are 14 days into all the measures that Trump avoided for 2 months, and should see new cases starting to level off soon, but the case load isn't going to stop piling up for weeks. Even Trump is trying to soften the ground to get his moron followers to accept 1-200,000 dead bodies in this round of infections - and with his lack of leadership there will be plenty of subsequent rounds.

One more reason to get the filthy orange liar out of the White House and into prison.

3. Top | #723
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yo know why Trump always says, "No one's done more than me" or "no country is better than ours" or "I'm doing the best job of any President?" It's because he has confidence. Confident people talk like that. He's always a businessman. What's the motto of business? Always be selling. Trump is constantly selling our country, himself, his administration, the people of our country, etc. It makes people happy and comforted when they hear stuff like that.
    That's beside the point. Sometimes a leader has to break some bad news. It is also good to acknowledge past mistakes, and it's also good to acknowledge one's limitations. That is something called honesty.

Did Franklin Delano Roosevelt claim that Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor was the Republicans' new hoax for unseating him?

No, he hit the nail on the head and declared "Yesterday, December 7, 1941 a date which will live in infamy the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan." - "A Date Which Will Live in Infamy": FDR Asks for a Declaration of War

Did Winston Churchill claim that the evacuation of Dunkirk was the Labour Party's new hoax for unseating him? Did he say that about the Battle of Britain?

Let's see what he said: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat." and "... we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." and "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'."

Angela Merkel's speech seems almost Churchillian, at least to me: Watch Angela Merkel’s Coronavirus Speech - English Subtitles - Kanzlerin Merkel Spricht zu BürgernInnen über das Corona Virus (Englische Untertitel) - YouTube

Boris Johnson showed more honesty than Trump about the virus. He said that things will get worse before they get better. He didn't say that the virus was the Labour Party's new hoax for unseating him.

Trump, however, has been anything but Churchillian, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of his aides have tried to get him to imitate that British prime minister.

No one wants to hear a President say, "Well I guess I'm good but others before me were better." People would hear that and go, "What a spineless weenie."
    There is a difference between "I will try to do the best job that I can" and "I am the greatest".

4. Top | #724
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life | US news | The Guardian

Starting out that on 2020 Jan 20, two cases of COVID-19 were reported, the first one in the US and the first one in South Korea. Of the two nations, South Korea has come close to stopping any further spread of the disease, while the US still suffers from exponential growth of it.

Trump's narcissism has taken a new twist. And now he has American blood on his hands | Jonathan Freedland | Opinion | The Guardian
    Pity the people of America. They do battle now with one of the greatest challenges in their history, led by a man who is not only among the worst ever occupants of the White House but whose character makes him the last person on the face of the Earth you would nominate to be in charge at this moment. On Thursday the US reached the top of the global league table for coronavirus infections, edging ahead of its closest rival for that honour, China. No law of nature dictated that outcome. Much of it is directly attributable to one dreadful fact: that Donald Trump is president of the United States.

It’s become a commonplace to note Trump’s lack of basic human empathy, his tendency to be unmoved by others’ loss. But that gap in his mindset matters now far beyond an inability to offer consolation to the bereaved: it is warping his approach to a lethal disease.
    Trump's response would be to say that "nobody's more empathetic than me", I'm sure.

Coronavirus map of the US: latest cases state by state | World news | The Guardian
    Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
    JH CRC Map
    Coronavirus Update (Live): 718,116 Cases and 33,887 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer
    Yo know why Trump always says, "No one's done more than me" or "no country is better than ours" or "I'm doing the best job of any President?" It's because he has confidence. Confident people talk like that. He's always a businessman. What's the motto of business? Always be selling. Trump is constantly selling our country, himself, his administration, the people of our country, etc. It makes people happy and comforted when they hear stuff like that.

How would you react if someone was selling you something and said, "This product is good but it's not the best. Maybe you shouldn't even buy it. Go with something else. But, you can buy my product if you really want to." It sounds like the person has no confidence, right?

No one wants to hear a President say, "Well I guess I'm good but others before me were better." People would hear that and go, "What a spineless weenie."
    Confidence in the absence of ability leads to disaster.

When someone has confidence, but nothing to back it up, someone is going to get hurt.

And, in case you didn't already know it, the word "con" in the phrase "con-man" is short for "confidence". A con-man is a person who gets others to trust and invest in him, by inspiring unjustified confidence in a product, scheme, or idea that is either valueless or nonexistent.

So I agree entirely that your president has confidence. It's pretty much all he has ever had. But it is most assuredly and observably NOT a good thing.

Justified confidence is a good thing. But Trump doesn't have, nor engender, that kind.

5. Top | #725
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

Yo know why Trump always says, "No one's done more than me" or "no country is better than ours" or "I'm doing the best job of any President?" It's because he has confidence. Confident people talk like that. He's always a businessman. What's the motto of business? Always be selling. Trump is constantly selling our country, himself, his administration, the people of our country, etc. It makes people idiots happy and comforted when they hear stuff like that.

FTFY
    Childish. It's true. People respond better to people who speak with confidence, not to people who sound like they are second guessing themselves.

This is a common rule of life. Who would you trust more? Someone who says, "Yes, I can do that for you no problem!" or someone who says, "Gee...I don't know...maybe I can do it...*scratches head*....but I'm not completely sure...I guess I can..."
    You're asking the wrong question. The right question would be "Who should you trust more?". And that question often has a VERY different answer. To answer my question requires an analysis of the actual ability of the person in question - his level of confidence is assuredly not a good guide to his level of ability. In fact, much research has been done in this area, most famously by Dunning and Kruger, and they observe that confidence is negatively correlated with competence. The more confident someone is, the more likely it is that he simply hasn't fully understood the problem.

Your president exemplifies this observation.

As do you.

6. Top | #726
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    No, it shows that it's not Trump's fault. If every other country was perfectly fine and the U.S. was the only country with cases, you'd have a point.
    I concede to your superior wisdom on how accountability works. If someone does a shittier job than you, then you are completely off the hook when you fuck up. I had no idea that's how real life works.
    Yup. If you rob a bank, the judge will let you walk as long as you can point out that someone else robbed more banks, or stole more money in bank robberies.

The courts will just be all like "oh, well, other people have committed worse crimes. You're free to go".

7. Top | #727
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So who's up for going kitten grabbing.

8. Top | #728
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Looking at the Spain, Italy, and US numbers, I ponder if there are metrics that are not being taken into account, such as the population of each nation. But on the other hand, there is also the population density as well. Italy's population density is more than 5 times that of the Continental US. Italy is more densely populated than the NE United States! So maybe the numbers are even worse than the appear for the US.
    Comparisons between nations, or even between states, hospital districts, or individual physicians, should always be treated with caution.

To an uninformed observer, it might appear simple to just record all the people who test positive for Covid-19, and report that as the number of cases; And equally simple to record and report the number of deths from Covid-19. But in fact it's not simple at all.

For a start, different regions have different testing regimes, and different levels of access to testing. A country that tries to mass test all citizens is likely to report a far higher rate than one where tests are reserved for known contacts of other positive patients.

As to deaths, what is a Covid-19 death? If a patient with a history of heart disease presents at ER in cardiac arrest, and dies - and the post mortem finds Covid-19 in his system, is he a Covid victim? That depends what country you are in; And how pedantic the coroner is about the rules for reporting cause of death. Some places require that one cause of death per patient is recorded; Others that all of the detected possible causes be listed and reported. And what if our patient doesn't have a heart attack, but has a stroke, due to hypertension directly associated with his Covid-19 infection? What if he had hypertension in his medical history - was the Covid-19 an additional factor, or a direct cause, or unrelated to his demise? Ultimately, it's down to the opinion of the doctor who completes the death certificate, and his decisions will be dependent to some degree on his own opinions on how to record cause of death; And on the guidelines and advice from his hospital, health authorities (state, federal, local, etc.), professional colleagues, and perhaps even the media.

It's a complex and difficult situation, and you should expect different ways of reporting the same data in different hospitals - and certainly in different nations.

9. Top | #729
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    I think Pelosi is standing in criticizing the president because poor Biden just isn't getting his message through.

He's been mostly absent through this debacle, and when he finally surfaces, he takes all those rumors of cognitive decline and add credence to them.

Now he has started the slow drip of more sexual accusers as well. This is exactly why is said he can't beat Trump. He's going to get annilated if there's a debate. This is all going to continue. The only way I can see Trump getting bested is that Trump beats himself by doing such a poor job fighting this pandemic. Which he unfortunately WILL do, because he's incapable of being halfway competent.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Even if you're correct about Trump's incompetent. Think how much more worse a Biden, or Zoroaster forbid, a Sanders presidency would be.

10. Top | #730
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    I think Pelosi is standing in criticizing the president because poor Biden just isn't getting his message through.

He's been mostly absent through this debacle, and when he finally surfaces, he takes all those rumors of cognitive decline and add credence to them.

Now he has started the slow drip of more sexual accusers as well. This is exactly why is said he can't beat Trump. He's going to get annilated if there's a debate. This is all going to continue. The only way I can see Trump getting bested is that Trump beats himself by doing such a poor job fighting this pandemic. Which he unfortunately WILL do, because he's incapable of being halfway competent.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Even if you're correct about Trump's incompetent. Think how much more worse a Biden, or Zoroaster forbid, a Sanders presidency would be.
    I'm pretty certain a ham sandwich would have done better, as it wouldn't have the ability to get in the way. Sen. Cruz, Sen. Kasich, Sec. Clinton, Sen. Sanders... all of them would have held country first. Trump is pretty much the first President to make a crisis all about himself and how unfair it is. That is the mindset of a clinical narcissist.