1. Top | #781
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

Citation or STFU.
    That's not a citation. No where does it show Acosta saying "See? Fences don't work.". Not even close.
    He implied fences don't work.

It's the equivalent of going to a store after hours and the door is locked and you say, "No one's trying to get in. Why do they even lock the door?"

2. Top | #782
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

That's not a citation. No where does it show Acosta saying "See? Fences don't work.". Not even close.

It's the equivalent of going to a store after hours and the door is locked and you say, "No one's trying to get in. Why do they even lock the door?"
    You do know what quotation marks mean, don;t you?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

3. Top | #783
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

4. Top | #784
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post

He said that. 6:10 in the video clip. Seoul now has 38 million people. And it had nothing to do with what the reporter asked. I honestly can't imagine what it's like for these reporters to try and have an adult conference with someone and the replies they get are incoherent gibberish with no relevance to what was asked or discussed,

No idea at all.

I've never seen anyone argue like that.

At all.

Ever.

No one at all.

Honestly.
    You've been posting here since '04 and you haven't seen someone argue like that?
    Nope, never. I can only imagine what it would be like if someone just posted random bullshit that had no relevance to the topic at hand.

But remember, Jim Acosta was the idiot who went to the border fence and saw there were no people around it trying to climb it and said, "See? Fences don't work."
    Umm...I'm gonna have to revise my earlier statement.

No, no he doesn't

5. Top | #785
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning
    When you butcher a quote so much just to fit your narrative, you are in fact doing this. Guess what you're infamous for doing.

6. Top | #786

7. Top | #787
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Rep. Katie Porter on coronavirus testing, the stimulus, and the bailout - Vox
    The California Congress member has emerged as an influential voice on Capitol Hill amid the coronavirus crisis — she is leading the (thus far failed) charge to push for remote voting, and in a five-minute viral exchange she got the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to concede that the authority already exists for Covid-19 testing to be free. And she’s not stopping now, especially in the wake of the $2.2 trillion stimulus package Congress passed last week — which, by the way, she’s not thrilled with. Specifically, the $500 billion corporate bailout that has very few strings attached.

“Maybe we should still be debating that, but they tried to package it all in together,” she said in an interview on Friday, the day the bill passed. “I’m sure it produces a great press conference. I’m not sure it produces the best results for the American people to have these behemoth bills.”
    This most recent aid bill has good points, like grant assistance for small businesses, and bad points, like $500 billion corporate-bailout fund without much oversight.

"I’m incredibly frustrated with House leadership, on both sides of the aisle, for not being able to use these two months to come up with technology to allow us to have remote hearings." she says. Neither Nancy Pelosi nor Mitch McConnell supports remote voting, despite their great age.

How to safely end social distancing and ease the Covid-19 pandemic - Vox

The first thing is testing on a very massive scale.
    Once there’s widespread testing, there needs to be a huge team of public health workers in place to trace the contacts of those who test positive. Everyone who tests positive or who has come into contact with someone who tests positive then needs to be put into quarantine or isolation, to not spread the virus any further. This is how authorities routinely beat outbreaks — even of incredibly infectious diseases like measles.
    Social distancing could be gradually stepped down, like opening schools, but still having teleworking and still banning mass gatherings.
    In any case, we’ll probably have to take a step-wise approach off social distancing and see how we can best balance it with returning to some small slice of normal life. In time, we’ll learn how to achieve that balance. For now — and because there are just so many things about this virus that are still not known — we need to stay put.

But it will take a lot to get there. The authors argue these decisions need to be made on a region-by-region basis: Phase two should only begin after 14 days of sustained case reductions in an area, and only after testing capacity is dramatically increased. Even in phase two, they stress, if cases go up again, we’ll need to go back to severe social distancing. Before there’s a vaccine, we’ll have to remain vigilant.

8. Top | #788
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Expect this to be the new talking point from Trumpblowers:

McConnell: Impeachment 'diverted' attention from coronavirus concerns
    When asked about Cotton's early warnings, McConnell said: "It came up while we were tied down on the impeachment trial. And I think it diverted the attention of the government, because everything every day was all about impeachment."
    Mitch McConnell is a medical marvel. He's a giant cunt with a massive set of balls on him. The sad thing is people are going to believe this bullshit narrative.

9. Top | #789
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Expect this to be the new talking point from Trumpblowers:

McConnell: Impeachment 'diverted' attention from coronavirus concerns
    When asked about Cotton's early warnings, McConnell said: "It came up while we were tied down on the impeachment trial. And I think it diverted the attention of the government, because everything every day was all about impeachment."
    Mitch McConnell is a medical marvel. He's a giant cunt with a massive set of balls on him. The sad thing is people are going to believe this bullshit narrative.
    Well, I have heard that it is hard for neanderthals to walk and chew gum at the same time....so just because Chuck Schumer could talk impeachment and "oh shit, this coronovirus thing looks bad" in late January, doesn't mean Moscow Mitch can...

10. Top | #790
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    How much golf he played has nothing to do with this. The problem is his denials of the problem that are shown on that list. What you're missing is most leaders fucked this up badly. It appears we have a total of 4 countries that have handled this well: Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Israel. China messed up at first and used an awfully heavy-handed approach, but they have done a decent job. Everyone else gets an F. (Although in the worst-off parts of the world ignoring it is probably the best course of action. There are two reasons for shutdowns--to reduce the number of people who die from a lack of treatment and to buy time for a treatment/vaccine to be developed. The shitholes of the world don't have much of a medical system in the first place, nor can most people avail themselves of what exists. Delaying catching it isn't going to do anything to improve their prospects and their societies can't function in a shutdown anyway.)
    Yeah, you may be right at least in principle. I have a nagging fear that China is so heavily invested in getting their arms around (owning) Africa, this thing is going to recur and recur for a decade or more. The suffering and loss of life in Africa will be staggering - but it will probably be that regardless of whether China keeps re-exporting it unless a vaccine happens along pretty quick. If a vaccine is found, produced and proven effective before November, we're probably even more fucked.
    I don't think China is going to be reexporting this much, they seem to have done a pretty good job of stamping it out. Besides, once there is uncontained community spread what travelers might bring in is of no relevance (hence only the countries that shut their borders very early were actually doing anything useful), reexporting isn't even relevant.

There's little chance of a vaccine this year, the testing takes too long.

Few people in Africa have the resources to isolate for an extended period, I figure the whole place will get infected rapidly. The population is young, but they have a lot of HIV cases and I expect this will decimate them.