Page 1 of 266 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31...ency-response/

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.
    Public health advocates have been ringing alarm bells to no avail.
    Public health advocates have been ringing alarm bells to no avail.
    Klain has been warning for two years that the United States was in grave danger should a pandemic emerge. In 2017 and 2018, the philanthropist billionaire Bill Gates met repeatedly with Bolton and his predecessor, H.R. McMaster, warning that ongoing cuts to the global health disease infrastructure would render the United States vulnerable to, as he put it, the “significant probability of a large and lethal modern-day pandemic occurring in our lifetimes.”

Sp, up to this date, the Trump mis-adminstration has been raping America's scientific community's ability to respond to a serious pandemic. And now we have one on our doorstep The sheer incompetence of Trump and the GOP here is startling. But not surprising. It is going to be interesting to see if this turns out to be a disaster. If so, Trump owns it.
    Cheerful Charlie

2. Top | #2
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    The DOW is up >300 points today so far. If the truth were told, it'd be down another thousand. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT, COMMIE?

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Sp, up to this date, the Trump mis-adminstration has been raping America's scientific community's ability to respond to a serious pandemic. And now we have one on our doorstep The sheer incompetence of Trump and the GOP here is startling. But not surprising. It is going to be interesting to see if this turns out to be a disaster. If so, Trump owns it.
    What's going to be most interesting is how he'll spin it to try to blame the Democrats. There's even money that the name "Soros" will be used in that attempt.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    The DOW is up >300 points today so far. If the truth were told, it'd be down another thousand. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT, COMMIE?
    Overreactions are excellent buying opportunities.

6. Top | #6
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Derail: If I had some money, I'd be buying Disney stock. Both the virus and the resignation of the CEO have dropped the stock quite a lot. I have every confidence it will bounce back.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    I just refinanced my house to save $33,000 over the next 15 years, thanks to overreacting idiots.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    I just refinanced my house to save $33,000 over the next 15 years, thanks to overreacting idiots.
    I've been in tax free bonds for the last year and a half, so I couldn't care less about the stock market - except that I seem to gain faster after these little blips. Remains to be seen if BIG blips will have the same effect though. If this turns into a 25-40% slide/crash, I won't be hurt too badly and THAT might encourage me to buy equities.
    Disney is a fair bet in the shorter term... UNLESS other (than corvid-19) factors compound the situation into a confidence crisis, in which case low-end luxury items like Disney trips tend to suffer pretty badly.

Yeah, Trump has created a day-trader's paradise. In fact parasites in general seem to be thriving under his regime.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If COVID-19 hits hard, Jimmy Bakker will make a killing peddling his emergency food buckets. And we will all be guzzling those wonderful Clorox cocktails.
    Cheerful Charlie

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yeah, Trump has created a day-trader's paradise. In fact parasites in general seem to be thriving under his regime.
    Um, not just day trading. I bought in half of my IRA contribution for this year yesterday.

It can go a lot lower very easily, I think, but I think it's a good place be at for my first contribution to 2020.