Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2687

Thread: Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

1. Top | #1001
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    He's a ring-rapper. 7 years in uniform. Helo pilot.
    What's a ring-rapper?
    A West Point (or other military college) graduate.
    One with an Academy ring, which they tap on the table to signal each other. An Old Boy's Network of the snootiest of snooty.

2. Top | #1002
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

The shutdown hasn't even been issued for a month yet and we are already in decline, Keith.
    THE shutdown? Which shutdown would that be, Halfie?

The drop is in the number of new cases being reported. Not the total number of infected. And with the piss-poor state of testing, that's not exactly a number to crow about. It's much more of a 'to the best of our knowledge' and 'fog of war' thing.
    And again, if the number of new cases is in fact slowing, it does *not* mean it'll be safe to reopen the country soon.

3. Top | #1003
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/resear...0872-720425075

Researchers may have found coronavirus’ Achilles’ heel
    Where's the link to the story in "Science"?
    Does it have to be in the Science journal? Why doubt this report while not questioning say, the New York Times?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/resear...achilles-heel/
    Because most reporters stink at reporting on science.

4. Top | #1004
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatha View Post

My timing was a little off. It looks like April will be the worst of it and then May should be the downhill part of the curve and then by June 1 (possibly a roaring speech by Trump announcing the re-opening of the economy for Memorial Day weekend) the economy will be roaring ready for a nice 5 months of smooth sailing right into Trump's 2nd term.
    This is perhaps the most nonsensical thing you have ever posted (and it certainly has a lot of competition).

If indeed we level off in that timeframe, it will mean that we haven't overtaxed the heathcare system, which is good. But we won't be able to reopen the economy until there's a widely available vaccine (or until everyone has caught the disease and either died or recovered, assuming recovery confers immunity).

if you reopen too soon, that flattened curve will take off again.
    Cases are already slowing down. This is exciting news.
    That doesn't mean we can go back to normal. If we get the case counts low enough we can ease off on the lockdown, but going back to normal would basically just put us back to a month ago--case counts would begin shooting up again.

5. Top | #1005
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Boris Johnson admitted to ICU.

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson moved to intensive care https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52192604

6. Top | #1006
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Does it have to be in the Science journal? Why doubt this report while not questioning say, the New York Times?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/resear...achilles-heel/
    Because most reporters stink at reporting on science.
    Or just data in general. I see maps or the world C19 cases and maps of US cases by state but no data on actual growth rates. Given that the whole deal here is "flatten the curve" they it's the rate of change that's crucial even though I am sure that the data is am imperfect count. It pisses me off when I see each day a table of c19 cases and deaths but no data on growth rate and no data on mortality rates. They make me do the math. And then by now there must be data on infection rates by age, mortality rates by age. I could probably find it somewhere but with your typical CNN, NYT, WaPo stories the crucial data on rates of change are never shown.

This isn't just C199 data but all kinds of data. They'll write out the results in prose when a few simple charts tell the story. Journalists aren't tough how to make charts?

I recall when Ross Perot was running for president he used lots of charts. He was ridiculed. Bow I never liked Perot but charts are sensible and very useful.

Being a market researcher, If I refused to preset data in chart form I'd probably get fired.

7. Top | #1007
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was just looking up a list of famous people who died from the 1918 flu and on that list is Trumps's granddaddy Frederick. But Trump never knew people were killed by the flu.

8. Top | #1008
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trump has been going all in on chloroquine.

From Saturday:

HE PRESIDENT: And I hope they use the hydroxychloroquine, and they can also do it with Z-Pak, subject to your doctor’s approval, and all of that. But I hope they use it because I’ll tell you what: What do you have to lose? In some cases, they’re in bad shape. What do you have to lose? It’s been out there for a long time, and I hope they use it. And they’re going to look at the — with doctors. Work with doctors. Get what you have to get. But we have it stockpiled, and it’s — we have a lot of it, and we’re getting more of it.

And as I told you, I spoke to Prime Minister Modi. We’re getting more of it, but we have a lot of it. And I hope they use it, because it’s been used for a long time and therefore it’s passed the safety test. FDA has been terrific. Dr. Hahn, I appreciate it very much, too. But I’ve seen some results.

Now, it’s early, I guess. It’s early. But — and you should — they should look at the lupus thing. I don’t know what it says, but there’s a rumor out there that — because it takes care of lupus very effectively, as I understand it. It’s a, you know, a drug that’s used for lupus.

So there’s a study out there that says people that have lupus haven’t been catching this virus. You know, maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not. Why don’t you investigate that?

And there’s also other studies, you know, with the malaria, that the malaria countries have very little — people that take this drug for malaria, which is very effective for malaria — that those countries have very little of this virus. I don’t know. You’re going to check it out.

But I think people should — if it were me — in fact, I might do it anyway. I may take it. Okay? I may take it. And I’ll have to ask my doctors about that, but I may take it.
    That was right after Fauci said there is no evidence yet about lupus and covid.

Also on Saturday.

And I just hope that hydroxychloroquine wins, coupled with perhaps the Z-Pak, as we call it — dependent totally on your doctors and the doctors there — because you know the answer to that question. If you do have the ventilator, you know the answer to that question. And I hate giving the answer.

So I don’t want to get them there. I don’t want to get them there. There’s a possibility — a possibility — and I say it: What do you have to lose? I’ll say it again: What do you have to lose? Take it. I really think they should take it. But it’s their choice and it’s their doctor’s choice, or the doctors in the hospital. But hydroxychloroquine — try it, if you’d like.
    And on Sunday, when someone asks Fauci about chloroquine, he butts in.

Q And would you also weigh in on this issue of hydroxychloroquine? What do you think about this? And what is the — what is the medical evidence?

THE PRESIDENT: Do you know how many times you’ve answered that question?

DR. FAUCI: Yeah —

Q But I’d love to hear from the doctor.

THE PRESIDENT: Maybe 15. Fifteen times. You don’t have to ask the question.

Q He’s — he’s your medical expert, correct?

THE PRESIDENT: He’s answered that question 15 times.
    This is bizarre even for him. And moments later, unrelated to chloroquine, this how the press briefing ended.

Q Sir, on the equipment issue, records show that federal agencies did not begin —

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, stop it.

Q — did not begin —

THE PRESIDENT: Who are you with? By the way, who are you with?

Q With the Associated Press, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: Who you with?

Q The Associated Press. Agencies didn’t begin bulk —

THE PRESIDENT: That’s another beautiful — that’s another beautiful (inaudible) —

Q — bulk purchases of respirators and N95 masks until mid-March.

THE PRESIDENT: Are you ready? Are you ready? Let me just
    answer your question because I know exactly — you know, the same question you ask all the time. Ready?

Q It’s the first time I’ve asked this, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: They have done an unbelievable job in delivering —

For the Associated Press, which is, you know, not so great, not like it used to be.

The people that you’re looking at — FEMA, the military — what they’ve done is a miracle. What they’ve done is a miracle in getting all of this stuff. What they’ve done for states is incredible. And you should be thanking them for what they’ve done, not always asking wise-guy questions.

Thank you very much, everybody. Thank you. Thank you.

END
    What a horror show.

9. Top | #1009
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://soundcloud.com/paul-szoldra/...dore-roosevelt

Someone recorded the acting secretary of the Navy's address to sailors on the Roosevelt. Those sailors are PISSED!
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

10. Top | #1010
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/paul-szoldra/...dore-roosevelt

Someone recorded the acting secretary of the Navy's address to sailors on the Roosevelt. Those sailors are PISSED!
    Surreal.

I guess we won't be needing this anymore...