Page 105 of 268 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2679

Thread: Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

  1. Top | #1041
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    18,332
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    42,832
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    We don't shut down if 1 person gets the flu.
    And again, it's not the flu, Halfie.

    There are signs that people who survive this disease can get it again.
    If we go back to normal interaction without a vaccine, we're just going yo do thus all again.
    It's a mutated version of the flu, yes. A more evolved form. Some people are more prone to it than others, just like the flu.
    Considering you'reca creationist, could you possibly explain whst you think the term 'more evolved' means in this context? I'm not sure how you think this matters?
    It is bad out there, but plenty of experts say that you can't get the virus from touching surfaces or cardboard. That's just the fear mongering.
    nameless experts? Experts in what fields? How many is 'plenty?'
    Cite?
    Making customers and store workers wear gloves and masks gives it a more scary and deadly look. Media wants you to be afraid.
    So, it's 'the media' inventing rules about face masks, gloves?
    So, no doctors suggest masks?
    I was at a Walmart recently
    Oh, a Halfie anecdote!

    That's so compelling.

    Yeah.... someone's desperate, and the Fuck-knuckle won't let qualified experts give out real info, so laugh at thrur confusion. Ha. And ha, again.

  2. Top | #1042
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    18,332
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    42,832
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    That's just the fear mongering.
    I feel it's important to point out that when Trump downplayed the threat of COVID-19, WE called it incompetent lying, but YOU said it was his job to sound confident, though what he said was not true.
    With thst in mind, is there any reason to think your confident dismissing of the threat of COVID-19 is any more truthful than Lying Don's attempts to, as you suggested, allay panic?

    Esp. as you offer dick in the way of support?

  3. Top | #1043
    Veteran Member Treedbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    1,702
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post

    Most stores here limit the customers; everyone waits outside in a straggly line. Some stores require masks.
    I gotta hand it to the workers at WalMart - and I say that very grudgingly. They are doing a superlative job keeping things clean and managing traffic. There are sanitizer gel and wipe dispensers everywhere. Shelf stockers wear gloves and masks, checkers wipe down between every customer, and the self checkout lanes have people with spray bottles following every person who checks out. Most of all, they all seem very upbeat. I was impressed!
    I have to agree. But it's the customers you have to watch out for.

  4. Top | #1044
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    18,273
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    21,307
    Rep Power
    94
    Trump removes watchdog at head of committee overseeing coronavirus relief funds

    President Donald Trump has removed a top Pentagon official leading the committee tasked with overseeing implementation of the $2 trillion coronavirus law, putting his own pick in place.

    Trump is replacing acting Pentagon Inspector General Glenn Fine, who a panel of inspectors general had named to lead the oversight committee, with EPA inspector general Sean O’Donnell.

    O’Donnell will now temporarily be lead watchdog for both the agencies, pending the confirmation of Jason Abend, who Trump has nominated to fill the Defense Department role.

    The move comes amid Trump’s increasing involvement in trying to shape the ranks of independent federal oversight. Late Friday night, Trump fired intelligence community inspector general Michael Atkinson, who flagged the Ukraine whistleblower complaint to Congress that ultimately led to the president’s impeachment.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

  5. Top | #1045
    Veteran Member KeepTalking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East
    Posts
    3,564
    Archived
    3,057
    Total Posts
    6,621
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    We don't shut down if 1 person gets the flu.
    And again, it's not the flu, Halfie.

    There are signs that people who survive this disease can get it again.
    If we go back to normal interaction without a vaccine, we're just going yo do thus all again.
    It's a mutated version of the flu, yes. A more evolved form.
    Absolutely wrong. The only thing COVID-19 has in common with the flu is that they are both viruses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Some people are more prone to it than others, just like the flu.
    Some people are more prone to religion than others, that doesn't make Christianity a more evolved form of the flu. Though, now that I think of it, that would explain a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    It is bad out there, but plenty of experts say that you can't get the virus from touching surfaces or cardboard.
    Name one expert. Just one qualified medical expert. No, Jared Kushner will not do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    That's just the fear mongering. Making customers and store workers wear gloves and masks gives it a more scary and deadly look. Media wants you to be afraid.
    It is not the media that is recommending those things. Qualified medical experts are recommending them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    I was at a Walmart recently and one person said to the cashier, "Don't give me the pennies. I heard the virus can live up to 4 hours on the pennies." He took the nickels and dimes, though. I laughed silently to myself.
    I don't believe you. You have been wrong nearly every time you have stated something that could be verified. There is no way I am going to believe you when you provide some bullshit just-so story that cannot be verified.

  6. Top | #1046
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,043
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post

    Most stores here limit the customers; everyone waits outside in a straggly line. Some stores require masks.
    I gotta hand it to the workers at WalMart - and I say that very grudgingly. They are doing a superlative job keeping things clean and managing traffic. There are sanitizer gel and wipe dispensers everywhere. Shelf stockers wear gloves and masks, checkers wipe down between every customer, and the self checkout lanes have people with spray bottles following every person who checks out. Most of all, they all seem very upbeat. I was impressed!
    I have to agree. But it's the customers you have to watch out for.
    I disagree. I unfortunately had my primary pharmacy listed at a walmart near where I USED to live... not convenient... but more importantly, Walmart failed to accommodate those picking up critical medical prescriptions from their pharmacy, by forcing all customers to stand in a line together prior to entering. I asked the security guard if there was another line for the pharmacy and he rudely said, "everyone has to stand in line".

    So fuck you walmart for the failure to prioritize those picking up antibiotics over those picking up lawn chairs.

    I have contacted my insurance company to report their refusing service (by refusing entry) at the pharmacy and requested they be delisted from their site for services.
    I have switched from Walmart to Walgreens for my family's medical needs, now on.

    Right now I am feeling like I will never set foot in a walmart again if at all possible because of their covid-19 procedures fail.

  7. Top | #1047
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    2,924
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    3,098
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post

    I have to agree. But it's the customers you have to watch out for.
    I disagree. I unfortunately had my primary pharmacy listed at a walmart near where I USED to live... not convenient... but more importantly, Walmart failed to accommodate those picking up critical medical prescriptions from their pharmacy, by forcing all customers to stand in a line together prior to entering. I asked the security guard if there was another line for the pharmacy and he rudely said, "everyone has to stand in line".

    So fuck you walmart for the failure to prioritize those picking up antibiotics over those picking up lawn chairs.

    I have contacted my insurance company to report their refusing service (by refusing entry) at the pharmacy and requested they be delisted from their site for services.
    I have switched from Walmart to Walgreens for my family's medical needs, now on.

    Right now I am feeling like I will never set foot in a walmart again if at all possible because of their covid-19 procedures fail.
    They dictate which pharmacies you can use? You can’t use Express Scripts?

  8. Top | #1048
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    18,273
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    21,307
    Rep Power
    94
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

  9. Top | #1049
    Contributor blastula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The greatesst state
    Posts
    5,692
    Archived
    6,070
    Total Posts
    11,762
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    As usual you are just plain wrong, he said this two days ago:

    "they say taking it before the fact is good. But what do you have to lose? They say, “Take it.”

    You can check for yourself at the White House website:

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...s-briefing-20/
    Oh yeah, I left out a lot of the quotes from that drunk guy at the end of the bar giving medical advice.

    And the other thing that we bought a tremendous amount of is the hydroxychloroquine — hydroxychloroquine — which I think — as you know, it’s a great malaria drug. It’s worked unbelievably. It’s this powerful drug on malaria. And there are signs that it works on this. Some very strong signs. And, in the meantime, it’s been around a long time. It also works very powerfully on lupus. Lupus.

    So there are some very strong, powerful signs, and we’ll have to see. Because again, it’s being tested now. This is a new thing that just happened to us — the “invisible enemy,” we call it.

    And, if you can, if you have a — no signs of heart problems, the azrithromycin [sic] — azithromycin — which will kill certain things that you don’t want living within your body — it’s powerful drug — if you don’t have a problem, a heart problem, we would say: Let your doctor think about it. But as a combination, I think they’re going to be — I think they’re two things that should be looked at very strongly.

    Now, we have purchased and we have stockpiled 29 million pills of the hydroxychloroquine — 29 million. A lot of drugstores have them by prescription, and also — and they’re not expensive. Also, we’re sending them to various labs, our military. We’re sending them to the hospitals. We’re sending them all over.

    I just think it’s something — you know the expression, I’ve used it for certain reasons: “What do you have to lose?” What do you have to lose? And a lot of people are saying that when — and are taking it — if you’re a doctor, a nurse, a first responder, a medical person going into hospitals, they say taking it before the fact is good. But what do you have to lose? They say, “Take it.”

    I’m not looking at it one way or the other, but we want to get out of this. If it does work, it would be a shame if we didn’t do it early. But we have some very good signs. So that’s hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

    And, again, you have to go through your medical people, get the approval. But I’ve seen things that I sort of like. So what do I know? I’m not a doctor. I’m not a doctor. But I have common sense. The FDA feels good about it. They’ve — as you know, they’ve approved it. They gave it a rapid approval. And the reason: because it’s been out there for a long time and they know the side effects and they also know the potential. So, based on that, we have sent it throughout the country and we have it stockpiled — about 29 million doses. Twenty-nine million doses. We have a lot of it. We hope it works.
    Q Mr. President, as President of the United States, your words carry enormous weight in this country and around the world. And while you acknowledge you’re not a physician, you do promote these medicines extensively here. How do you not go so far as to be giving medical advice? And you said, yesterday, you might take some of these medicines, even though you don’t have symptoms. Are you still planning to do that? And how do you calibrate being enthusiastic —

    THE PRESIDENT: Yeah.

    Q — and not playing doctor?

    THE PRESIDENT: Because I want people to live and I’m seeing people dying. And I see people that are going to die without it. And you know the expression. When that’s happening, they should do it. What really do we have to lose?

    We also have — this medicine has been tested for many years for malaria and for lupus, so it’s been out there. So it’s a very strong, powerful medicine, but it doesn’t kill people. We have some very good results and some very good tests. You’ve seen the same test that I have.

    Q But for those without symptoms, sir?

    THE PRESIDENT: In France, they had a very good test; they’re continuing. But we don’t have time to go and say, “Gee, let’s take a couple of years and test it out. And let’s go and test with the test tubes and the laboratories.” We don’t have time. I’d love to do that. But we have people dying today. As we speak, there are people dying. If it works, that would be great. If it doesn’t work — we know, for many years, malaria, it — it’s incredible what it’s done for malaria; it’s incredible what it’s done for lupus. But it doesn’t kill people.

    That’s one of the things with a vaccine. When we have a vaccine, we have to do tests because when you inject that vaccine, when they take whatever ever it is they have to take, we have to make sure it doesn’t have a horrible impact, destroy somebody. Good? So we have to test it for a long period of time. This one, not so much because it’s been out there.

    Now, I’m not acting as a doctor. I’m saying, “Do what you want, but there are some good signs.” You’ve read the signs, I’ve read the signs. With the other one, there’s some very good signs also. Different — going together works very well. But there may be an indication that if you have a problem with your heart, you shouldn’t take what we call the Z-Pak. You shouldn’t take it, and that’s okay.

    But I would love to go to a laboratory and spend a couple of years testing something. We don’t have time. We don’t have two hours, because there are people dying right now. If it does help, great. If it doesn’t help, we gave it a shot. We gave it a shot. That’s the way I feel.

    Q Were you serious about taking it, sir?

    THE PRESIDENT: You know, we passed something — yeah, I would — I would be very serious about taking it.

    We passed something that I’m very proud of. It’s called Right to Try. For 45, 50 years, they’ve been trying. It makes so much sense. We have the greatest doctors and labs and lab technicians, the greatest medicines, the greatest minds in the world. Everybody admits it. And when we’re close to having something, or when we have something that tests incredibly well, you couldn’t use it for years because they would take years and years to test.

    So with the help of also Democrats — I got it bipartisan, but they’ve been trying to get this passed for — for decades. You know that. It’s called Right to Try. So a person would be diagnosed terminally ill from something. And in the old days, meaning before a year ago, they would say, “Do you think I could try this — this pill, this whatever, this medicine that’s testing so well?” “No, you can’t do that. You can’t do that under no circumstances.” They’d leave for Asia, they’d leave for Europe, they’d leave for — if they had money. If they had no money, they’d go home and die with no hope.

    We got a thing called Right to Try. If somebody is very ill, terminally ill, they’re going to die. They — and it was very complex. It wasn’t as easy as it sounds because there were huge liability problems. The drug companies didn’t want to do it because they didn’t want it on test results — because these are very sick people, so they didn’t want to bring down their test results. The insurance companies had tremendous problems.

    I got everybody in the room, I said, “Look, we’ll sign a waiver.” The person taking it will say, “We’re not going to sue.” The family is not going to sue the drug company, not going to sue the insurance company, not going to sue the state, the city, or the federal government. Okay? It’s called “exculpation.” And we got it done. It’s a very simple agreement. I don’t know why nobody ever thought of it, but they never thought of it. I did. And we got it done.

    Now we have Right to Try, which is actually, in my opinion, much more difficult than what we’re talking about here. But if there’s a medicine or something, a possible cure, or something that’s looking good and somebody has something that’s going — they’re going to die or they’re very sick, they take it. And, you know, we’ve had some unbelievable results. Unbelievable results. And it also gives the people hope.

    Yes, please.

    Q Mr. President, but the doctors who are treating coronavirus patients, they have the medical expertise to determine whether or not they should prescribe hydroxychloroquine.

    THE PRESIDENT: That’s true. And many of them do.

    Q And there are already clinical trials in place —

    THE PRESIDENT: Sure.

    Q — looking at hydroxychloroquine.

    THE PRESIDENT: Sure.

    Q So, why not —

    THE PRESIDENT: They should be finished in about a year.

    Q Why not just let the science speak for itself? Why are you promoting this drug?

    THE PRESIDENT: I’m not. I’m not. I’m just saying —

    Q You’re coming out —

    THE PRESIDENT: — very simply. I’m not at all. I’m not.

    Look, you know what I’m trying to do? I’m trying to save lives.

    Q Well, you come out here every day — right, sir? — talking about the benefits of hydroxychloroquine.

    THE PRESIDENT: I want them to try it. And it may work, and it may not work. But if it doesn’t work, it’s nothing lost by doing it. Nothing.

    Q What do you —

    THE PRESIDENT: Because we know — long term, what I want, I want to save lives. And I don’t want it to be in a lab for the next year and a half as people are dying all over the place.

    Q But it’s already out there. Doctors are already able to prescribe it off label.

    THE PRESIDENT: That’s right.

    Q Right? So what do you accomplish?

    THE PRESIDENT: All I’m doing is saying — well, I’ll tell you what I accomplish. We bought massive amounts of it — 29 million doses of it. We have it coming from all of the labs. We’re actually now doing it here, because in case it does work, we want to have it. And we’ve given it to drugstores, we’re — we’re sending it all over. FEMA is doing it. FEMA is doing it. We’re doing it through different channels, many different channels, including the companies that make it.

    Q So you —

    THE PRESIDENT: It’s a very special thing. Now, it may not work, in which case, hey, it didn’t work. And it may work, in which case, it’s going to save a lot of lives. Now, a lot of people say, if the people walking in prior to getting it, if they take it, it has a profound effect. Well, maybe it does and maybe it doesn’t.

    Q Where is the conclusive medical evidence of that, sir?

    THE PRESIDENT: I don’t want to wait a year and a half to find out.

    And only CNN would ask that question. Fake news.
    Q Thank you, sir. I wanted to follow up on the hydroxy question. Thanks for the numbers. Has there been any tension with the medical staff on that? Are they in agreement with all these numbers?

    THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, we — we discussed it with the staff. We discussed it with FDA. Well, the FDA approved it. So, you know — which is another point. I mean it’s been approved by FDA, which is very important. If it wasn’t approved by FDA, then I couldn’t do this. But FDA has approved it, the hydroxy.

    Q And also, if this turns out not to work, are hospitals and doctors going to be exculpatory from the federal government under the Right to Try?

    THE PRESIDENT: Well, we’ll see if it works. No, it’s not going to — it’s not going to hurt people. It can help them, but it’s not going to hurt them. That’s the beauty of it, you see. It can help them, but it’s not going to hurt them. What do you have to lose?

  10. Top | #1050
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,008
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,048
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post


    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    ... by April we will be laughing going,
    "Remember how everyone panicked over the coronavirus
    because the media started fear mongering?"
    My timing was a little off. It looks like April will be the worst of it and then May should be the downhill part of the curve and then by June 1 (possibly a roaring speech by Trump announcing the re-opening of the economy for Memorial Day weekend) the economy will be roaring ready for a nice 5 months of smooth sailing right into Trump's 2nd term.
    your "timing being off" does nothing to make this any less callous. Really, this is such a horrible thing to have said in the first place, but now with over EIGHTY THOUSAND HUMAN BEINGS DEAD, you think the problem with your statement was the timing? You're just, what, holding off your laughter for a few more weeks?


    This is something a complete sociopath would say.
    Shame on you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •