Page 2 of 97 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anyone else get the feeling that Trump's pushing Pence under the bus by appointing him to be responsible for the coronavirus counter-measures? It's going to be a clusterfuck no matter what Pence does. Then Trump can put all blame on him, "I hardly knew the guy" etc. ... and appoint Ivanka as his running mate in the fall.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    Anyone else get the feeling that Trump's pushing Pence under the bus by appointing him to be responsible for the coronavirus counter-measures?
    Meh.
    In Trump's calculus, he had to think of someone to put there who will not admit that it's a clusterfuck on national TV. Or if he does, won't blame TRUMP for the cluster. The Damned Dems Didit, Duh!
    And when he said, "I need someone to..." Pence was the last person to shout 'Not it!'

Trump may even think he's doing Pence a favor. "Leap on out in front of this Carona-thing, save everyone, and that'll be your base when you run for President, eh? Eh?"

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    Overreactions are excellent buying opportunities.
    Yeah, Trump has created a day-trader's paradise. In fact parasites in general seem to be thriving under his regime.
    Um, not just day trading. I bought in half of my IRA contribution for this year yesterday.
    If you can buy and hold, there is no bad time to get in. Even if you bought right on the cusp of the 2008-2009 mini-crash, you'd be looking good a year or two later.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Derail: If I had some money, I'd be buying Disney stock. Both the virus and the resignation of the CEO have dropped the stock quite a lot. I have every confidence it will bounce back.
    I unloaded DIS a week ago as I decided this virus wasn't stopping. I'd wait to buy it until right before Disney has to close 1 or 2 more theme parks <sarcasm>... It may become a buy at some point in a few months. And no, I didn't run for the bunkers, I just trimmed a few more exposed things like Disney.

5. Top | #15
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Our problem is we see Trump with his face painted orange and we complete the picture by putting a bulbous red nose on the teetotaler. Makes us feel good, but weakens us when we gauge his capabilities to do things. The f-ing idot is a genius at being clown directer with us playing the part of his clowns.

Suggestion. Quit mocking him. Go after him as if he's the extiestial threat he is. He wears that long tie so we can comment on his silly long tie. We react improperly.

So rather than giving something he can rif make him show us he can do what needs to be done. He can't. Build a factual case against him. We need to attack the threat not to react to the image he presents to us. Show us the coronavirus dead count at his feet with the dismissed CDC experts scattered about. Make him look scary like he is.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Our problem is we see Trump with his face painted orange and we complete the picture by putting a bulbous red nose on the teetotaler. Makes us feel good, but weakens us when we gauge his capabilities to do things. The f-ing idot is a genius at being clown directer with us playing the part of his clowns.

Suggestion. Quit mocking him. Go after him as if he's the extiestial threat he is. He wears that long tie so we can comment on his silly long tie. We react improperly.

So rather than giving something he can rif make him show us he can do what needs to be done. He can't. Build a factual case against him. We need to attack the threat not to react to the image he presents to us. Show us the coronavirus dead count at his feet with the dismissed CDC experts scattered about. Make him look scary like he is.
    I agree. Although he was elected by people voting for the image of Donald the very stable business genius rather than the fact of a semi-literate, ignorant, incompetent narcissist, there is little reason to hope that any of those who voted for him will be turned around by the now even-more-obvious reality of who he is. Rather, the best hope is to drive turnout among those who recognize that reality. The threat is real, and driving turnout by continually pointing to it should not be rocket surgery.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I predict that the Coronavirus outbreak in the USA will be 10x-100x worse than it was elsewhere, not because of Trump and his stupid evangelical VP, but because (a) most people who get a fever would rather pay rent than pay thousands of dollars to get diagnosed and treated, and (b) people in America tend not to stay home when they get sick. Under any administration, this is a recipe for an epidemic.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Suggestion. Quit mocking him. Go after him as if he's the extiestial threat he is.
    But humor IS the human defense against the existential threat.
    We can do both.
    We can recognize his incompetence in leading against a pandemic, or appointing people to lead against the pandemic AND treat him as a laughingstock.
    No late-night TV host's monologue was used as justification for impeaching The Shitgibbon, nor did they contribute to his acquittal. If they'd played it entirely solemn through the accusations, the investigation, and the (for lack of a better word) 'trial,' nothing would have changed.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Suggestion. Quit mocking him. Go after him as if he's the extiestial threat he is.
    But humor IS the human defense against the existential threat.
    We can do both.
    We can recognize his incompetence in leading against a pandemic, or appointing people to lead against the pandemic AND treat him as a laughingstock.
    No late-night TV host's monologue was used as justification for impeaching The Shitgibbon, nor did they contribute to his acquittal. If they'd played it entirely solemn through the accusations, the investigation, and the (for lack of a better word) 'trial,' nothing would have changed.
    Pssst

Nothing changed