Thread: Trump Sues New York Times For Libel

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Trump Sues New York Times For Libel

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/don...mes-for-libel/

President Donald Trump is launching a lawsuit against the New York Times, according to his campaign website.
    According to Trump: The Times “knowingly published false & defamatory statements of and concerning plaintiff…claiming it had an ‘overarching deal’ with ‘Putin’s oligarchy’ to ‘help in the campaign against Hillary Clinton.’”

“Today the President’s re-election campaign filed suit against the New York Times for falsely stating the Campaign had an ‘overarching deal’ with ‘Vladimir Putin’s oligarchy’ to ‘help the campaign against Hillary Clinton’ in exchange for ‘a new pro-Russian foreign policy, starting with relief from … economic sanctions,'” said Jenna Ellis, senior legal to Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.

Sweet Screaming Cthulhu! The Trump entertainment never stops. Discovery will be interesting. If it gets that far. And all of this will probably become an issue by November. This is an issue Trump should probably have left alone until after election season. NYT will probably move quickly to quash this lawsuit on grounds that the facts are well supported and true, and that Trump will surely have no chance of winning.
    Cheerful Charlie

2. Top | #2
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Discovery by the Times should be very interesting.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh goody! Lese Majeste is back to being a thing under Trump! I look forward to the usual suspects trying to rationalise this with "with if" and "let's say" and the crowd favourite, "whatabout"

More to come people, apparently.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yeah, when i donate money to a candidate, i certainly hope it'll go to frivolous lawsuits about people having an opinion.
    Fucking editors and their editorials in a newspiece his voters don't read...

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I will believe it when the suit is actually filed. Until then he can get a lot of mileage from his base and in campaign rallies just by saying he is going to do it. Actually filing the suit would be a pretty boneheaded move, and I am sure his campaign knows it.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Discovery by the Times should be very interesting.
    That will be a short session:

Defense: "Your honor here is a list of relevant materials we need from the plaintiff"
    Plaintiff: "Never mind. We already got the smear effect we were going for."
    Judge: "Case dismissed"