Page 20 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus - Are You Affected?

1. Top | #191
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    I think that's where they fail to understand that once you enter exponential territory, it looks the same no matter what your scale is.
    Until you leave the exponential territory.

As you can see, only the first part of the curve looks exponential.
    And within the exponential territory, not all exponentials are equivalent. And the slower one with "flattening of the curve" will look exponential for longer.

Our virus response is shit. It is on a clear path, and continues to increase exponentially.
    But the question is, what's the exponential increase rate and how long until the exponential behavior ends.

2. Top | #192
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

The graph is supposedly representing what the CURRENT situation IS in blue. It shows casses, not the percentage of population that would make the comparison meaningful. What the trend will be in the future in the U.S. is unknown. It MAY follow the trend in Italy or it MAY be drastically different. Since Italy did not institute early measures to mitigate the spread and the U.S. did, the chances are that the trends will be different.
    The US enacted policies quicker?
    Yes.
    My news feed must be busted. Has Congress established legislation of any reasonable magnitude for this problem? Did states not need to go it alone? Are kids not not going to school in some states?

3. Top | #193
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My prediction is that by April we will be laughing going, "Remember how everyone panicked over the coronavirus because the media started fear mongering?"

The flu reinvented itself after 100 years and now everyone's in a panic because of the media. When I was younger, if you didn't have chicken pox, your parents would invent a friend over who had it so you could get it and be done with it. This isolation nonsense is frustrating. I wish I could tell everyone, "Stop getting your info from the media! They are designed to fear monger!"

THink about it logically. They are telling bars, restaurants, schools to close. Sports have been cancelled. But places like 711, convenience stores and supermarkets? Still open no problem. Why is this? Either it's a problem or it's not. i suppose they are sending a message that, "you can get the virus at a bar or a restaurant but you can't get it form convenience stores or supermarkets!"

4. Top | #194
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    THink about it logically.
    always a challenge for you....
    They are telling bars, restaurants, schools to close. Sports have been cancelled.
    places people congregate for non-crucial reasons, OR are putting children at risk.
    But places like 711, convenience stores and supermarkets? Still open no problem.
    Crucial businesses?
    You cannot figure out why a basketball game is contraindicated, but people still need to get food. This is

Logic

to you, Halfie?
    Why is this? Either it's a problem or it's not.
    it is still a problem, but it's more of a cost/benefits assessment.
    i suppose they are sending a message that, "you can get the virus at a bar or a restaurant but you can't get it form convenience stores or supermarkets!"
    no, that's not the message.
    Nice to see you batting your usual thousand on being fucking wrong, Halfie.

5. Top | #195
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My prediction is that by April we will be laughing going, "Remember how everyone panicked over the coronavirus because the media started fear mongering?"

The flu reinvented itself after 100 years and now everyone's in a panic because of the media. When I was younger, if you didn't have chicken pox, your parents would invent a friend over who had it so you could get it and be done with it. This isolation nonsense is frustrating. I wish I could tell everyone, "Stop getting your info from the media! They are designed to fear monger!"

THink about it logically. They are telling bars, restaurants, schools to close. Sports have been cancelled. But places like 711, convenience stores and supermarkets? Still open no problem. Why is this? Either it's a problem or it's not. i suppose they are sending a message that, "you can get the virus at a bar or a restaurant but you can't get it form convenience stores or supermarkets!"
    You do realize people still need to buy food, right?

Or are you planning to absorb nutrients through the air?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #196
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

I don't think Halfie thinks that far ahead.

7. Top | #197
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts

So you are saying the employees at supermarkets and 711's are expendable?

I know someone who still works at 711 and he said he had to go in with a fever because the manager screamed at him "We can't close! You need to come in!" He told him not to tell the customers he was sick though.

8. Top | #198
    Archived
    Total Posts

who said that?

9. Top | #199
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

I know someone who still works at 711 and he said he had to go in with a fever because the manager screamed at him "We can't close! You need to come in!" He told him not to tell the customers he was sick though.
    Not expendable but necessary.

What do you think would happen if grocery stores shut down?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

10. Top | #200
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts

Not expendable but necessary.

What do you think would happen if grocery stores shut down?
    What can you buy at a 711 that you can't buy at a grocery store?