Thread: The Virus - Are You Affected?

1. Top | #341
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    Just got the results back for my wife's coronavirus test. As we expected, they were negative. So we can leave the house without risk of infecting others.
    Up to a point. If you touch something with your hand that has the virus on it, you could pick it up on your hand, and if you then later touch something else that someone else then touches with their hand, you could pass it on.

I read that use of petrol pump handles, for example, have been spreading the virus in this way, though obviously it could be anything. Yesterday, my wife and daughters and I braved a walk on a beach, and my daughter (a biologist) chided me for handling a gate latch on a path gate after I had let a jogger through who handled the latch just before me.
    I'm getting pretty good at handling things with my elbows and/or with the sleeve pulled over the hand.
    It's still chilly around here, yesterday the wind chill was still in the 30's. I took off my cap at one point to operate a public handle. That might seem dumb but the likelihood of transmission seemed less as compared to my bare hand.

2. Top | #342
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I went to the grocery store early this morning; I felt as if I were preparing for a mission behind enemy lines. There were no more than 20 people shopping; the store was low on meat, but they had a little bit of everything. Milk, eggs, etc. were well-stocked. The paper goods aisle was empty.

Just a strange feeling.

3. Top | #343
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The feeling I get is similar to when I worked for a biotech company going out of business at the end of the biotech bubble. Executives said we'd be fine after the first round of layoffs... Managers had all the software guys catch up on super documenting everything. That was the main focus. There was an uneasy feeling of something impending, time to think about it, and work you could take or leave. Then another round of layoffs a few months later--they had said that wouldn't happen. Special retention bonuses to keep people. More promises. More documentation. That same impending feeling. And then after a few months more layoffs. More management lies. False calm. Busy work. Rinse. Repeat. Layoffs. Millions of dollars in bonuses for execs.

Before you make apologies for all the documenting, let me tell you, I saw a custodian throw it all in the dumpster under orders...

The part that feels similar is the so-called "distance learning." It emotionally feels like busy work, not just for kids, but for parents. Can't revolt, organize, or cause chaos if you are busy teaching your kid all day so they pass their classes... The management lying part, that's Trump lying about timelines as they get larger. Corporations...even cruise industry getting lifelines.

4. Top | #344
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    I went to the grocery store early this morning; I felt as if I were preparing for a mission behind enemy lines. There were no more than 20 people shopping; the store was low on meat, but they had a little bit of everything. Milk, eggs, etc. were well-stocked. The paper goods aisle was empty.

Just a strange feeling.
    I went to my local supermarket, they had a female employee outside the store acting like a nice club bouncer, checking with someone in the store via walkie-talkie to see if people could be let in. She was also armed with a spray bottle of disinfectant that she used to wipe down the handles on the shopping carts. I was ushered in pretty much immediately. Inside the store had a number of shoppers, some wearing masks, it looked like a lot of employees were wearing masks. The produce section was very well stocked. Canned goods had taken a hit as had frozen goods. But eggs, milk, meat, bread, water, toilet roll and diapers were all available limited to one item per household. People in line to check out were distanced 6' apart. All in all it was actually a better experience than normal. Seems like people know what they are in for, get their stuff and get the hell out ASAP. No browsing it seemed.

The roads in LA are quite quiet but there are still a lot of vehicles on the roads but it's a lot lighter which is nice as I have elected to come into the office. I could work from home I guess but I have too many people at home. The office has a skeleton staff and only has four people working. If this is the new normal, I am down with it.

5. Top | #345
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Just got the results back for my wife's coronavirus test. As we expected, they were negative. So we can leave the house without risk of infecting others.
    I thought it was impossible to get tested in US unless you had symptoms
    Criteria vary from state to state, since there is a lack of leadership at the federal level. My wife had developed a cough in connection with her head cold. The doctor took into account her age and our past travel history (Asian cruise that ended March 1). So he decided to order the test as a precaution. Neither he nor we expected a positive result, but she had tested negative for influenza.

The Seattle area now has tests available, but we still are not using the standard WHO-approved test that other countries are using. The CDC and FDA are still insisting that they roll their own, and that has caused confusion and delay in our ability to test for the virus. They are approving some tests produced by private industry, but there is some confusion about how, or if, results are reported to the federal level.

6. Top | #346
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post

Just a strange feeling.
    The roads in LA are quite quiet but there are still a lot of vehicles on the roads but it's a lot lighter which is nice as I have elected to come into the office. I could work from home I guess but I have too many people at home. The office has a skeleton staff and only has four people working. If this is the new normal, I am down with it.
    The new normal is attached to some depression of the GDP for a few years.

7. Top | #347
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The new normal is attached to some depression of the GDP for a few years.
    If it slows down non stop consumerism then that is a positive in my book.

8. Top | #348
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well,my brother-in-law just got laid off this morning. He's a certified sign technician. He'll have to file for unemployment and, of course, lost his health insurance.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

9. Top | #349
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Well,my brother-in-law just got laid off this morning. He's a certified sign technician. He'll have to file for unemployment and, of course, lost his health insurance.
    A side effect of the economic collapse will be that people avoid getting medical help, because they will no longer be able to afford it.

10. Top | #350
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    A side effect of the economic collapse will be that people avoid getting medical help, because they will no longer be able to afford it.
    Truly, we need to look at the silver linings of the tornado.