Page 36 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus - Are You Affected?

1. Top | #351
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Ohio is primarily shut down. Glad I live where I do, so hiking is still a viable option.
    How viable is it? I haven't gone out for 3 weeks now because around here there's no way to avoid being too close to fellow hikers around the trailhead, not to mention how congested some destinations are. If everyone was sensible it would probably be ok, but there are too many out there who aren't. Example: One of the local hike leaders was planning to take 20+ people down to a local hot spring. 20+ in one group? To a hot spring that in usual times at least is just enough room that people aren't touching. And it's in a slot canyon where stepping to the side to get enough clearance isn't possible, not to mention that the only two approaches are via a ladder (which was recently damaged and isn't there right now), or a short, easy class 3 scramble--in other words, in both directions you have no choice but to put your hands where everyone else puts theirs. Multiple people telling him the park service closed the trailhead wasn't enough, he had to drive down there and see it was closed before he decided to change the destination.

2. Top | #352
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Ohio is primarily shut down. Glad I live where I do, so hiking is still a viable option.
    How viable is it? I haven't gone out for 3 weeks now because around here there's no way to avoid being too close to fellow hikers around the trailhead, not to mention how congested some destinations are.
    It's very hilly and consequently, not heavily traveled. It is in an area with a flat limestone paved trail, what those people use. On Saturday, I walked another trail with my daughter, saw less than ten people in the hour hike.

3. Top | #353
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    How viable is it? I haven't gone out for 3 weeks now because around here there's no way to avoid being too close to fellow hikers around the trailhead, not to mention how congested some destinations are.
    It's very hilly and consequently, not heavily traveled. It is in an area with a flat limestone paved trail, what those people use. On Saturday, I walked another trail with my daughter, saw less than ten people in the hour hike.
    Some trails are quite narrow, single track. Find one that is broad and not so popular. I was out yesterday too, hundreds of people at the local park, many with their dogs. But we were able to stay away from everyone, because we stayed away from the tight trails.

Or maybe you could use your trekking pole to jab at intruders.

4. Top | #354
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Some trails are quite narrow, single track. Find one that is broad and not so popular. I was out yesterday too, hundreds of people at the local park, many with their dogs. But we were able to stay away from everyone, because we stayed away from the tight trails.
    Other than trails in washes there's no such thing as a broad trail around here. In some places you can step far enough off the trail, in others that's harder and in some places it's out of the question. (Why were you idiots going to Arizona Hot Springs?? Not only is the hot springs not where you should be but it's in a slot canyon which currently has only one access point. (The other side had a ladder that was damaged, now it would be at a minimum a class 5 up a small waterfall) The park service closed the trailhead--and this afternoon I found a video someone shot there of a whole bunch of cars there with tickets on them.)

Or maybe you could use your trekking pole to jab at intruders.
    Perhaps something along those lines should be done. How about a new law: When a social distancing order is in effect if you are standing still and not blocking a chokepoint it is considered legal self defense to use a stun gun on anyone other than a member of your household, a first responder or someone you have initiated contact with. The fact that you were capable of doing so grants a presumption that you were defending social distancing.

5. Top | #355
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    One hopeful sign: According to the BBC Sport website, the EFL Championship matches for March and April have all been postponed, but the May fixtures are still listed. Perhaps they know something we don't?

6. Top | #356
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We have completed week 1 of isolation. I’m glad we live in the middle of nowhere so we can hike and bike and run. But today’s snowy weather made that not appealing. I’m hoping to get out into the garden. Working from home, though, so the days are just as full as they are usually. But hopefully evenings will start to be pleasant out. Looking forward to next Monday, when I can see my son again once he’s completed his two weeks.

7. Top | #357
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Our Governor as of 8pm yesterday upped the ante. Only food, medicine and care-giving are considered essential reasons for travel. Folks are allowed to go outside to walk, exercise, walk dogs, etc. The car needed care and so with all the extra time and the crappy weather I've been walking to a parts dealer to pick up things as needed. Is that a no-no now?

Also, how does a store like Walmart keep people out of the other departments? Weird.

8. Top | #358
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We've only been to the grocery store. Yesterday we stocked up on food that should last for a week or so. The store was less crowded than I've ever seen it. A worker was wiping down baskets with a sanitizer. There were signs all over the place asking shoppers to stay at least six feet apart. We thanked one of the people who worked in the meat department for being there. Some meats were in short supply and there was supposed to be a limit on chicken and beef to no more than 3 packs per person. Most paper products were wiped out again, but we didn't need any.

Our neighborhood isn't at all crowded and it's easy for walkers to take a stroll without getting close to anyone else So, my husband still enjoys his 3 mile morning walk, while I stay inside and do an aerobic workout on DVD. My feet are too painful to walk very far, so this works out well for both of us. But, we have a large yard with plenty of birds to watch. Plus there are many parks here which are never crowded, so we have options.

So far, this hasn't been much of an inconvenience for us. I just wish the people in my town were taking it more seriously. Schools are closed and I'm pretty sure all of the churches have finally stopped having services, but restaurants, hair and nail salons etc. remain open.

9. Top | #359
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    One hopeful sign: According to the BBC Sport website, the EFL Championship matches for March and April have all been postponed, but the May fixtures are still listed. Perhaps they know something we don't?
    Or it could be that they are taking advice from this guy.

10. Top | #360
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.