Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus - Are You Affected?

1. Top | #411
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanie View Post
    So when do you reckon the number of US confirmed cases will be double those of China?
    Confirmed cases is a worthless number. Even South Korea and Iceland (who are are at the top of testing) are still testing a tiny fraction of the population. USA is among the worst testers in the world, they still have many confirmed. There's countries in Africa where the numbers of confirmed cases is identical to that of the number of dead, ie only people already dead are tested. In Italy they only test people who are extremely ill, which is why they have a death rate of 40%. It does NOT mean that four out of ten infected in Italy die from it. That's not understanding how statistics work.

Stop using that number!!! It's only misleading.

Instead only compare confirmed dead from Covid-19. It's the only number that means the same thing across the globe. Also, don't trust China's numbers. Hot tip. They have never been honest about anything else ever... So why would they start now? This time around they seem to be more open an cooperative than they have been previously. But that ain't saying much.

2. Top | #412
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Still working part time at conve/liquor store.I will be 68 next month.High risk,no shit.

3. Top | #413
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #414
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    They will all die alone.
    Having literally been at the beginning of this with my father, this hits home so hard... and just won't stop. The night my father would ultimately pass away was when the hospitals began the new protocol regarding limiting visitors and hours due to Covid-19. We were 'lucky' that this happened his final night and his family was able to visit him (when conscious and to say goodbye). In general, we were low exposure because we spent so much time at the hospital. It hurt having my dad's family leave because the max daily visitors was becoming two (my mother and myself). And then we were supposed to leave due to hours, but circumstances and the RNs allowed otherwise.

In some parts I regret staying because the images till haunt me, but I know not being able to be with my father just one day or night (I spent his last three weeks with him in the hospital) would have been hell.

I can imagine how family's must be feeling, not being allowed to be with their dying or hurting loved ones in so many cases in the hospitals, regardless if they are suffering from Covid-19 or a stroke or a heart attack or cancer surgery. Tens of thousands of anonymous patients without loved ones, without their advocates, at the whim of fate and how good their nurse is at reading their discomfort.

Thousands have died, but over tens of thousands of families are suffering so greatly from this gap.
    I doubt my mom will go to hospice now. She is at that point as far as being able to care for herself. Her church friend, in her seventies and ten years her junior has now decided to stay with her around the clock. I don't know if I should visit or not. I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing either way. Death is not the issue, being without family is. But I know I need to focus on my daughter & granddaughter now. At least mom is at home.
    Dwight

5. Top | #415
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So when do you reckon the number of US confirmed cases will be double those of China?
    Confirmed cases is a worthless number. Even South Korea and Iceland (who are are at the top of testing) are still testing a tiny fraction of the population. USA is among the worst testers in the world, they still have many confirmed. There's countries in Africa where the numbers of confirmed cases is identical to that of the number of dead, ie only people already dead are tested. In Italy they only test people who are extremely ill, which is why they have a death rate of 40%. It does NOT mean that four out of ten infected in Italy die from it. That's not understanding how statistics work.

Instead only compare confirmed dead from Covid-19. It's the only number that means the same thing across the globe.
    ...and maybe not even that. France is (I think even officially?) not counting deaths outside of hospital contexts, so a lot of people are dying of COVID-19 without showing up in any statistics - and their share is presumably growing as hospitals are more stretched to their limits and send away people with symptoms that might or might not be on track to become serious. Some Italian communes have excess mortality figures 4-10 times higher than the official count of COVID-19 deaths: https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_...cdbe1130.shtml

6. Top | #416
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Chinese may be lying about absolute numbers but not about the fact that they managed to get it under control.

7. Top | #417
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    CNN Chris Cuomo has the virus.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

8. Top | #418
    Archived
    Total Posts

Instead only compare confirmed dead from Covid-19. It's the only number that means the same thing across the globe. Also, don't trust China's numbers. Hot tip. They have never been honest about anything else ever... So why would they start now? This time around they seem to be more open an cooperative than they have been previously. But that ain't saying much.
    The confirmed number of US dead could overtake China's within a couple of hours from now.

So when do you reckon the number of US confirmed dead will be double those of China?

By the weekend?

When will it be 10 times those of China?

9. Top | #419
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sorry, just re-checked.

You're now ahead of China in official deaths.
    Last edited by seanie; 03-31-2020 at 10:10 PM.

10. Top | #420
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So the current US death toll is officially 3,756, US deaths are doubling about every 3 days, and Easter is 12 days away.

So you could maybe match the entire US death toll from the Vietnam war in the space of about 6 weeks.