Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Religious figures blame LGBT+ people for coronavirus

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon
    I don't know why atheists do this. It's like trying to rationally analyze a dream -- 'but, if it were me, I would have made the dream go like this instead". You either think like the dream thinks (at a pre-rational level) or you're totally on the outside saying few relevant things about it.
    The religionists who make these claims are not saying it's a dream. They are making public claims that are unwarranted, false, and disparaging against people who do not deserve to be so condemned. It's okay to debunk the claims and/or arguments of the religionists, in order to expose some or all of their shortcomings (perhaps in the eyes of less extreme religionists), and/or just because they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon
    You're talking about atavists that take the myths of an ancient tribe for eternal truths.
    I'm talking about them, but not to them. Well, I sometimes talk to them (not often anymore) but that's more of a way of a convenient way of making arguments, while my actual intended audience are readers who are not part of the group, or at most group members who have doubts.

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Beliefs are one thing. Peole who say these kinds of things have a perverted, twisted, sick view of reality.

I heard a commentator say the fearmongering around the virus speeds just like the virus.

This Kimd of religious insanity is a communicable disease.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's reliably there, as the other side of group cohesiveness, family atmosphere, The Beloved Community: looking down on the people who live on the other side of the hill. The ones our god's gonna get. (Or worse, as in countless Bible verses, the ones our god gives us the duty to persecute.)

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    If anything, religious leaders have helped the virus spread by promoting the general anti-science attitudes, and disposition to make up nonsense to dismiss facts that is inherent to the faith required to maintain their absurd beliefs.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    I ended up in a conversation with a Mormon onin my building. She is truly fearful the virus is a plague harbinger of the apocalypses. She referenced Revelations.

I pointed out there have always been plagues, famines, droughts, storm's and earthquakes. She walked away.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A muslim work colleague the other night was telling anybody who would listen that the virus is a punishment from god. His god, of course, not one of those other, fake gods. To support his claim, he gloated about the fact that all the "night clubs, gay bars and strip joints" are closed because of the pandemic. He seemed kinda stumped, though, when I pointed out that all the churches, mosques and synagogues are closed, too.

7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mucius_Scaevola View Post
    A muslim work colleague the other night was telling anybody who would listen that the virus is a punishment from god. His god, of course, not one of those other, fake gods. To support his claim, he gloated about the fact that all the "night clubs, gay bars and strip joints" are closed because of the pandemic. He seemed kinda stumped, though, when I pointed out that all the churches, mosques and synagogues are closed, too.
    Sadly, all the churches are not closed. Many are holding services, some with hundreds of people. Some are doing it against the government orders, some with full consent of their state governments who are given explicit exemptions to churches in direct violation of the 1st Amendment.

Of course, I've hear of no gay bars violating the law and putting others at risk to stay open. Which only shows that as a group, gay bar owners are more ethical than Christian pastors.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mucius_Scaevola View Post
    Sadly, all the churches are not closed. Many are holding services, some with hundreds of people. Some are doing it against the government orders, some with full consent of their state governments who are given explicit exemptions to churches in direct violation of the 1st Amendment.

Of course, I've hear of no gay bars violating the law and putting others at risk to stay open. Which only shows that as a group, gay bar owners are more ethical than Christian pastors.
    Here in the Netherlands, all places of worship are closed, as gatherings of more than 3 people are banned. I realise that there are other places where scofflaws do what they like, but we were talking about this country.

You're right about the comparative ethicalness (ethicality? ethicitude? whatever) of the gay bar owners. At least, unlike the xian pastors, they sell a tangible product and not some ethereal promise of "jam tomorrow".

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I truly don’t understand these people's brains. It should be painfully obvious to even the most casual observer that these various calamities strike people randomly regardless of their religious faith. Even the Bible makes this clear. The book of Job is the best example. Job is not a sinner but he loses everything. When he complains to god, god says who the fuck are you? I made the universe and you’re nothing, you should be grateful just to have lived in it for whatever time I give you. Now fuck off.

That’s a god I can respect!

Then some asshole changed the story and added the stupid ending where Job gets everything back.

But these fucking Christians can’t handle that basic truth today. They’ve got to find the scapegoat (also biblical). Once upon a time it was Donatists, then other heretics, then Protestants, or Catholics. Then deists, then atheists. Now it’s gays. And atheists still. It’s always been jews and anyone of color.

Fuck these assholes.

SLD

10. Top | #20
    Your first mistake is thinking that Christians might perhaps read the Bible; they mostly have it read to them, and there's a big difference.