1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Paraphrasing Roosevelt "Nothing to Church by Church itself."

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    He is my shield and my succor in time of need. Scripture says: 'They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.' Gospel of Mark, Chapter the Sixteenth. Hell, I aint a-scared of no caroney bug! Ya can't even see 'em, and I can see a sarpint. You sayin the LORD cannot put down a caroney bug?
    Pretty much what doctors said when Lister and Pasteur suggested you might want to wash hands between patients. One critic used to carry a flyswatter on rounds in case he saw any of Lister's little bugs trying to infect his patients.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    He is my shield and my succor in time of need. Scripture says: 'They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.' Gospel of Mark, Chapter the Sixteenth. Hell, I aint a-scared of no caroney bug! Ya can't even see 'em, and I can see a sarpint. You sayin the LORD cannot put down a caroney bug?
    Pretty much what doctors said when Lister and Pasteur suggested you might want to wash hands between patients. One critic used to carry a flyswatter on rounds in case he saw any of Lister's little bugs trying to infect his patients.
    I think you are referencing Semmelweis. Only when it was noticed by many that Semmelseis's patients had a higher rate of survival did it occur to them that he was on to something. But then it took many years to stop bleeding ill patients.
    Cheerful Charlie

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    I think you are referencing Semmelweis. Only when it was noticed by many that Semmelseis's patients had a higher rate of survival did it occur to them that he was on to something. But then it took many years to stop bleeding ill patients.
    No, referencing a biography of Lister. But, hey, lots of people have resisted lots of science all thru our stupid history.
    It's a wonder we stopped cleansing houses of the sick with lark's tongue and boiled anthills, really, on the basis of if it doesn't work, no need to fix it.

I read somewhere that the human immune system is really quite robust compared to othrr species on the planet. I begin to suspect if this is true, it's because other soecies either get better or they die.
    They don't have the third option of listening to stupid opinions or half-assed guesses, or half-remembered what-gramma-dids, forcing us to get better in fucking spite of dumbass ourselves

5. Top | #25
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dumbass Jerry Falwell brought students back to Liberty University and now a bunch of them are experiencing CV19 symptoms.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/li...vap?li=BBnbcA1
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #26
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    God they’re stupid. Everyone else on the planet could have predicted that.

7. Top | #27
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was raised Church of Christ and there is a sect among them that believe you have to use one cup in the communion. They believe the cup represents the new testament per luke 22: 20. They use grape juice instead of wine, so dont get any protection somewhat from alcohol found in wine. I wonder what the corona virus is going to do to them?

8. Top | #28
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH View Post
    I was raised Church of Christ and there is a sect among them that believe you have to use one cup in the communion. They believe the cup represents the new testament per luke 22: 20. They use grape juice instead of wine, so dont get any protection somewhat from alcohol found in wine. I wonder what the corona virus is going to do to them?
    Charles Darwin may be able to answer that one.

9. Top | #29
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Dumbass Jerry Falwell brought students back to Liberty University and now a bunch of them are experiencing CV19 symptoms.

For them it's a no lose situation. Even if they die they did it all for their Jesus. Gotta remember that the mother ship is in the tail of the comet.

10. Top | #30
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

It sounds like some of them came from the NYC greater area. So Falwell brought Covid-19 to Liberty University. I suppose God does act in mysterious ways.