Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus? Don't be a sissy pansy!

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    And emotionally based, rather than in the best interest of the species as a whole?
    why pretend those are two different things?
    One of our advantages as a species is the old people, with memories and the ability yo pass on information when no longer able to wrestle mammoths or bite the heads off sharks. Lore, skills, tricks, pro-tips passed on by generations.

We evolved by having old people at the fire, so we evolved To Treasure old people at our fire. Which is why we tend to invest resources into our old, and sick. We feel good about the decision because we've been selected for that.

So, if a million get sick, we (by which i mean most humans, not sociopaths) will try to save them, much as we can. With that in mind, protecting them limits the number of resources they will demand in the next months.
    And extending their health for now increases the chances of a vaccine, and a cure, further protecting our own resources, so that we won't beggar ourselves.
    Thanks for that. I'm 70 and enjoying the best years of my life. I spent my entire adulthood primarily caring for older adults. I valued their wisdom and the memories they shared with me. I valued the interesting conversations we had, and the appreciation they gave me for my advocacy. When one died, it was often the end of their suffering but it was also a loss to their children and grandchildren that couldn't be replaced. In many cultures, the oldest are the most valuable members of the tribe. The youngest have less to offer but nobody is suggesting that they should be sacrificed for the greater good. All ages of people have a purpose in society. It's disgusting that some are suggesting that the oldest should simply die. Fuck. I earned the right to live a happy, healthy old age. I'm not giving that up without a fight.

I'm tired of people whining about having to stay home. Fuck that. Past generations were forced to go to war for the country, or make sacrifices during the Great Depression or endure extreme racism and slavery. People survived drought, famine and other extreme suffering. All we are being asked to do is sit on the couch. Poor pitiful little whiners. Read a book, or write a book, or call a relative or an old friend. Watch some good moves. Try out a new recipe. Clean out your closets or organize your cabinets. Call an old friend or family member and ask them about their past struggles, but please stop the fucking poor, poor pitiful me song. This solitude could be a chance for some self reflection.

We're all gonna die but in the meantime, let's savor life to the best of our ability.

2. Top | #12
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I heard that Dolly Parton says this virus is a lesson from a god. Perhaps her brain is shrunken to the point of senility. Much as I enjoy the girl I still believe Lincoln was right when he admonished folks to keep their mouths shut for good reason. Such an admonishment, obviously, may not be appreciated or even understood when Dunning Kruger is in the room.

3. Top | #13
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I got one of those President Trump coronavirus cards in the mail too. Briefly looked at it because I knew that I having followed the real news for so long on this that there would be nothing I didn't already know or know better. I found it offensive that something with Trump's name on it would come onto my property. Trump is such a lying Blowhard.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    President SCROTUS' downplaying, misinformation and lies are going to kill more people in the next few months than the 9/11 terrorists could have dreamed of.

6. Top | #16
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    I got one of those President Trump coronavirus cards in the mail too. Briefly looked at it because I knew that I having followed the real news for so long on this that there would be nothing I didn't already know or know better. I found it offensive that something with Trump's name on it would come onto my property. Trump is such a lying Blowhard.
    Please stop insulting blowhards.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Well, at least he’s owned it. It is now and forever “Trump’s Coronavirus.”

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    Well, at least he’s owned it. It is now and forever “Trump’s Coronavirus.”
    I think that I'll call it that now.

9. Top | #19
    Archived