Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 118

Thread: Where are the libertarians in the coronavirus pandemic?

  1. Top | #61
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lots of planets have a North
    Posts
    6,095
    Archived
    5,115
    Total Posts
    11,210
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    So you are saying ZiprHead is wrong when he accuses libertarians of being against promoting the general welfare. Good on you.
    Substituting one obvious straw man for another is not an effective strategy for effective discussion.
    Your reading comprehension problems are not my problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Still waiting on the libertarian policy on the covid-19 pandemic. Your inability to produce to one does lend credence to the conclusion that there is no policy whatsoever.
    Step one: asses the severity of the situation
    Step two: realize the biggest problem is the stupidity of the reaction of the people.

  2. Top | #62
    the baby-eater
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Straya
    Posts
    3,982
    Archived
    1,750
    Total Posts
    5,732
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Step two: realize the biggest problem is the stupidity of the reaction of the people.
    Libertarianism works perfectly. Just not with humans.

  3. Top | #63
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,094
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,133
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Step two: realize the biggest problem is the stupidity of the reaction of the people.
    Libertarianism works perfectly. Just not with humans.
    Libertarians and True Libertarians don't help stupid people.

  4. Top | #64
    Veteran Member Canard DuJour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,045
    Archived
    4,853
    Total Posts
    5,898
    Rep Power
    60
    Where are the libertarians in the coronavirus pandemic?
    John Galt develops a vaccine which he sells for either a $billion a shot, or voluntary contract slavery.

    The billionaires and slaves live happily ever after, liberated from the dead hand of government.

  5. Top | #65
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,518
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    58,461
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post

    Your reading comprehension problems are not my problem.
    No, the issue is you continue to attribute comments and positions to posters which they have not made - as anyone who is familiar with the English language well understands.

    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Still waiting on the libertarian policy on the covid-19 pandemic. Your inability to produce to one does lend credence to the conclusion that there is no policy whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Step one: asses the severity of the situation
    Step two: realize the biggest problem is the stupidity of the reaction of the people.
    You mean like the reactions of libertarians? I see why it took you so long to reveal the libertarian "policy" towards this pandemic - you were embarrassed by its imbecility.

  6. Top | #66
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    13,174
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    13,881
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    ... you were embarrassed by its imbecility.
    Puts him a step above trumpsuckers, who are quite immune to embarrassment. Guess that's the main difference between a trumpsucker and an "I'm not a trumpsucker".

  7. Top | #67
    Member *
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,650
    Archived
    2,911
    Total Posts
    6,561
    Rep Power
    0
    So, what I'm getting from the actual content of The Holy Prophet's words as far as Randian libertarians go, is that the answer is going to be 'extort every individual to the fullest extent you can and then be king of the world because they sold you their souls for their lives, fair and square.'

    Except it wasn't fair and they OUGHT use as much violent leverage to depose you as you used against them. Ayn Rand is just "lawful evil" wrapped up in a cute little bow.

    The fact that she proscribes violence doesn't change the fact that it IS an act of violence to make a decision wherein people die. It is indirect, but it is through your executive action that this death happens, and you can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

    So, it's just extortion, plain and simple.

    So while some nervous fuckwit somewhere in the world does that little dance they do whenever someone has them in a corner, I think I'm just going to out and say it: that's not ethical. The people making a vaccine who are of course themselves too poor to afford it, and everyone else who contributes all other things in a society that is being extorted should rather burn down their world than let someone steal it from them. If you will not contribute for the good of others but rather only for the control of the system, the system owes you nothing and ought spit you out. Mutually assured destruction is the correct answer there. If you would hold a virus to my head, I would hold a gun to yours.

  8. Top | #68
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,094
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,133
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    So, what I'm getting from the actual content of The Holy Prophet's words as far as Randian libertarians go, is that the answer is going to be 'extort every individual to the fullest extent you can and then be king of the world because they sold you their souls for their lives, fair and square.'

    Except it wasn't fair and they OUGHT use as much violent leverage to depose you as you used against them. Ayn Rand is just "lawful evil" wrapped up in a cute little bow.

    The fact that she proscribes violence doesn't change the fact that it IS an act of violence to make a decision wherein people die. It is indirect, but it is through your executive action that this death happens, and you can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

    So, it's just extortion, plain and simple.

    So while some nervous fuckwit somewhere in the world does that little dance they do whenever someone has them in a corner, I think I'm just going to out and say it: that's not ethical. The people making a vaccine who are of course themselves too poor to afford it, and everyone else who contributes all other things in a society that is being extorted should rather burn down their world than let someone steal it from them. If you will not contribute for the good of others but rather only for the control of the system, the system owes you nothing and ought spit you out. Mutually assured destruction is the correct answer there. If you would hold a virus to my head, I would hold a gun to yours.
    In a word, "sociopathy." All libertarians which are true to their beliefs are sociopaths.

  9. Top | #69
    Super Moderator Bronzeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    6,969
    Archived
    7,568
    Total Posts
    14,537
    Rep Power
    42
    I was watching a You Tube video about the Gnostics of the early Christian church. The first point made was there was no such thing a Gnostic in the 1st through 3rd century. The label didn't exist and there was no group structure through which "Gnostic" doctrine or philosophy could be filtered to create a Gnostic school of thought. What we know as Gnosticism is all collected in hindsight.

    This is the current situation with Libertarians. There is no Libertarian group structure and no way to determine who is or is not a Libertarian. Asking for Libertarian response plan is to ask the wind for a response.

    This is also the reason Libertarians have no future in politics or government. Their failure to recognize cooperation as the fabric of society keeps them on the fringe of society. It's sort of like a team made up of all most valuable players and each thinks they are solely responsible for any success. Any explanation will inevitably contradict the others.

  10. Top | #70
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    13,174
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    13,881
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    So, what I'm getting from the actual content of The Holy Prophet's words as far as Randian libertarians go, is that the answer is going to be 'extort every individual to the fullest extent you can and then be king of the world because they sold you their souls for their lives, fair and square.'

    Except it wasn't fair and they OUGHT use as much violent leverage to depose you as you used against them. Ayn Rand is just "lawful evil" wrapped up in a cute little bow.

    The fact that she proscribes violence doesn't change the fact that it IS an act of violence to make a decision wherein people die. It is indirect, but it is through your executive action that this death happens, and you can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

    So, it's just extortion, plain and simple.

    So while some nervous fuckwit somewhere in the world does that little dance they do whenever someone has them in a corner, I think I'm just going to out and say it: that's not ethical. The people making a vaccine who are of course themselves too poor to afford it, and everyone else who contributes all other things in a society that is being extorted should rather burn down their world than let someone steal it from them. If you will not contribute for the good of others but rather only for the control of the system, the system owes you nothing and ought spit you out. Mutually assured destruction is the correct answer there. If you would hold a virus to my head, I would hold a gun to yours.
    In a word, "sociopathy." All libertarians which are true to their beliefs are sociopaths.
    That might be a bit too far. I'd say that any real, full-time 24/7/365 libertarian would have to be a sociopath. The rest of them are sociopathic and talk a good libertarian sociopath game, but will readily get in their car and drive to the store on the socialist roads when they get hungry and call the commie fire department when they get back to a burning house.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •