Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the libertarians in the coronavirus pandemic?

1. Top | #71
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ron Paul's opinion last week:

The Coronavirus Hoax

The Ron Paul Institute's featured articles this week:

Foolish destruction...The End of Civilization?, and more

2. Top | #72
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post
    Ron Paul's opinion last week:

The Coronavirus Hoax

The Ron Paul Institute's featured articles this week:

Foolish destruction...The End of Civilization?, and more
    I like to bring up the fact that when FDR asked for a declaration of war against Japan there was only one "no" vote who didn't trust FDR and thought it was all being staged.

People like this must think that someone can pull off a hoax indefinitely, that the truth will never come out. Such persons obviously live in a fantasy and remain detached from reality except for basic necessities, like buying their next roll of toilet paper. Libertarianism is therefore a mental disorder, or at least a symptom, and nothing more.

3. Top | #73
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    I like to bring up the fact that when FDR asked for a declaration of war against Japan there was only one "no" vote who didn't trust FDR and thought it was all being staged.
    You're going to have to provide a source for that. Jeannette Rankin, a pacifist, voted "no" because, "As a woman I can't go to war, and I refuse to send anyone else."

4. Top | #74
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    You're going to have to provide a source for that. Jeannette Rankin, a pacifist, voted "no" because, "As a woman I can't go to war, and I refuse to send anyone else."
    Thanks for the correction. I must have gotten the wrong information from a biased source, and a long time ago at that. With all the vitriol directed against her vote at the time and the fact she never ran for public office again such biased sentiment is understandable.

Thanks again.

5. Top | #75
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I must have gotten the wrong information from a biased source, and a long time ago at that. With all the vitriol directed against her vote at the time and the fact she never ran for public office again such biased sentiment is understandable.

Thanks again.
    By some definitions the US was already at war with Japan because of the blockade.

6. Top | #76
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

You mean like Francisco d'Anconia, who lured people into believing they could trust him, a Captain of Industry, to set a safe and profitable course right up to the moment he revealed he had deliberately screwed them over and then ran off to Galt's Gulch?

Yeah, I can see the similarity.

Rand-style Libertarianism's answer to the coronavirus pandemic is simple: let the sick die.
    If you want it to be, I guess that is how you're going to see it.
    That's how Rand saw it.

It's right there in her book. The doctor who refuses to share his life saving technique unless he has unlimited profit and can turn away anyone he doesn't want to treat, Dagny's reaction to a socialized healthcare plan for autoworkers, her reaction to the story of a man who beat a child so severely he knocked out every tooth in her mouth because his community decided she needed braces more than he needed to buy a new record (Dagny's sympathy was for the man,not the 8-year old victim; so was Rand's for that matter), and most of all, her Objectivist heroes crisply stating they feel absolutely no obligation to help anyone but themselves and then proving it.

John Galt plotted to bring about the death of billions of people and then did it. The Objectivists in the Gulch knew that all their family and friends not currently in the Gulch would go through hell on Earth, that if any of them survived it would be damn mean miraculous, and they approved. Do you honestly think an Objectivist would care about millions dying from a viral infection?
    If that is how you want to interpret it, that's up to you.

Of course those who were hiding out in Galt's Gulch were all on strike. Are you saying they didn't have a right to go on strike?

You're right about one thing - he did help destroy the wealth of a lot of businessmen. Of course in the book ALL businessmen were heroes, including James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Yep, they were certainly heroes in the book. Not like the little people, like the dime store worker Cherryl Brooks. She was poor so she was a villain.

7. Top | #77
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    One has to wonder why Jason finds it so scary to answer the question. I suspect he would find it impossible to rationally justify the answer.
    I've answered it many times. I got tired of repeating the same answers over and over only to have them ignored over and over. If you want my answer, look for when I gave it in the past and acknowledge that I gave it in the past.

You didn't like my answer, it wasn't the strawman of libertarianism that you desired.

8. Top | #78
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canard DuJour View Post
    Where are the libertarians in the coronavirus pandemic?
    John Galt develops a vaccine which he sells for either a $billion a shot, or voluntary contract slavery.

The billionaires and slaves live happily ever after, liberated from the dead hand of government.
    I particularly enjoy the accusations of selfishness from people who are so willing to say "Government, that guy isn't doing what I want him to. Point your gun at him and make him. Then take his money away to pay for whatever project I think he should fund."

9. Top | #79
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Canard DuJour View Post
    Where are the libertarians in the coronavirus pandemic?
    John Galt develops a vaccine which he sells for either a $billion a shot, or voluntary contract slavery.

The billionaires and slaves live happily ever after, liberated from the dead hand of government.
    I particularly enjoy the accusations of selfishness from people who are so willing to say "Government, that guy isn't doing what I want him to. Point your gun at him and make him. Then take his money away to pay for whatever project I think he should fund."
    Please provide an actual instance if an actual person who says such a thing?

10. Top | #80
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post

Please provide an actual instance if an actual person who says such a thing?
    Your reading comprehension problems are not my problem.