Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Where are the libertarians in the coronavirus pandemic?

1. Top | #101
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Of course, they have plenty of opportunities to show me that I am wrong. But 10 pages of deflection speak volumes on the fact that either the libertarians here know their position is unethical or they just don't have one.
    You forgot to scroll up before you posted that.
    It took ten pages and 12 days of evasion and deflection for you to come up with "suspend regulations". And as a policy, it is pretty lame on given the expected severity and extent of the pandemic.
    I know it must be painful for you to watch your precious regulations get suspended, but it is already happening.

2. Top | #102
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It took ten pages and 12 days of evasion and deflection for you to come up with "suspend regulations". And as a policy, it is pretty lame on given the expected severity and extent of the pandemic.
    I know it must be painful for you to watch your precious regulations get suspended, but it is already happening.
    As usual, you are mistaken. But as a policy for this situation, it is lacking. It does little to stop the spread of the virus or to develop vaccines/cures.

What is the libertarian view of the closures of bars, restaurants and cinemas to help slow the spread of the virus?

3. Top | #103
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As usual you are mistaken. Suspending the regulations does a lot to develop cures and vaccines, as well as helping those already infected.

But muh roads...

4. Top | #104
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As usual you are mistaken. Suspending the regulations does a lot to develop cures and vaccines, as well as helping those already infected.
    Point to a suspended regulation (or regulations) that "does a lot to develop cures and vaccines"
    But muh roads...
    You are mistaken if you think babbling is an effective argument,

I repeat
    What is the libertarian view of the closures of bars, restaurants and cinemas to help slow the spread of the virus?

5. Top | #105
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anyone interested in understanding the likely impact of suspending regulations in the current situation should read this:

Gouged prices, middlemen and medical supply chaos: Why governors are so upset with Trump

Masks that used to cost pennies now cost several dollars. Companies outside the traditional supply chain offer wildly varying levels of price and quality. Health authorities say they have few other choices to meet their needs in a ‘dog-eat-dog’ battle.

Inside RWJBarnabas Health, New Jersey’s biggest health-care network, hospital leaders are so desperate for medical supplies to combat the coronavirus pandemic that they’re paying 50 times the usual price.

Confusion and want are so massive that they’ve been willing to work with sellers they don’t know, even paying upfront for the equipment they need. The threat of fraud is everywhere: A recent delivery of 500,000 surgical masks from a Chinese supplier turned out to be medically useless. They appeared designed for a nail salon.

“We’re burning through cash, but there’s no other option,” the network’s chief medical and quality officer, John Bonamo, told The Washington Post. “The rules as we know them don’t exist anymore.”
    N95 respirator masks use a microscopic web of plastic threads to block 95 percent of airborne particles, making them a critical piece of protection for doctors and nurses. Federal agencies regulate the masks’ use and manufacture in the United States.

Some hospital executives said they worry the masks they’re being sold are coming from unregulated factories seeking to capitalize on the booming market: Though real masks and counterfeits look similar, they offer widely different levels of protection that could leave health providers at risk.

The price gouging has hollowed out public health budgets, officials say. Minnesota-based industrial giant 3M, which makes hundreds of millions of N95 masks a year, said in a statement Tuesday it had “received reports of an increase in fraudulent and counterfeit” masks and was working to find and stop “pandemic profiteers.”

6. Top | #106
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Do you ever just actually state a position instead of JAQing off?
    I've stated plenty of positions in the long posting history. They're all in my history. You didn't like them, they didn't conform to your view of what a libertarian is supposed to say, so you "forgot" them so you could ask again. I'm tired of playing your stupid games.

Tell you what. You come up with the position you want me to give, then refute it, claim victory, and leave everyone else out of your mental masturbation.

It won't be libertarianism you're describing, but you'll probably call it that anyway. Have fun.

Not enough? Here. All the regulations that interfere with the professionals effectively dealing with this? Suspend them. Wait, that's already happening. It really is, and the suspension of those regulations are helping. I know it must be painful for you to watch your precious regulations get suspended, but it is already happening.

I’ve been reading back trying to find anything comprehensive and I cannot find it. Could you please post a link to the post, or just quote it? I’ve been trying hard to find it because I’m genuinely curious what your plan for the pandemic would be. But I cannot find these posts that you are saying you put.

If you’ve said it “plenty of times” in three pages, I should be able to find several instances. But I can’t.

Please post a link.

7. Top | #107
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Your reading comprehension problems are not my problem.

Still waiting on the libertarian policy on the covid-19 pandemic. Your inability to produce to one does lend credence to the conclusion that there is no policy whatsoever.
    Step one: asses the severity of the situation
    Step two: realize the biggest problem is the stupidity of the reaction of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason

Not enough? Here. All the regulations that interfere with the professionals effectively dealing with this? Suspend them. Wait, that's already happening. It really is, and the suspension of those regulations are helping. I know it must be painful for you to watch your precious regulations get suspended, but it is already happening.

But muh roads...

So this is it. This is what your plan would be. When asked what your plan would be, you handwave - are you really asking people to go mine other threads to get your answer to a question? That not how this works. You come to this thread, you discuss this thread here. You don’t just arrogantly claim you posted something about it last year and aren’t others stupid for not remembering that. (We’re not that into you, honestly.)

So here in this thread your answer to ths question, for this global pandemic is:

1. Step one: asses the severity of the situation
    2. Step two: realize the biggest problem is the stupidity of the reaction of the people.
    3. All the regulations that interfere with the professionals effectively dealing with this? Suspend them.

And that’s it. That’s your whole Libertarian plan.

It seems kind of, how do I say it, shallow and vapid?

8. Top | #108
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So we're seeing the libertarian plan in action in the US?

9. Top | #109
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As usual, you are mistaken. But as a policy for this situation, it is lacking. It does little to stop the spread of the virus or to develop vaccines/cures.

So it amounts to do nothing, you are on your own. With a side of removing regulations with no indication as to what regulations are a problem.

10. Top | #110
    Archived
    Total Posts
    "Let our factories dump untreated effluent into rivers to defeat COVID-19!"

"Let us employ grade-schoolers to work assembly lines to beat the virus!"

"Stop making us give employees protective gear so that we can make more hand sanitizer!"