Thread: What podcasts are you listening to?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

What podcasts are you listening to?

What are you listening too? I still listen to some of the main skeptic ones, but here are some others I like.

Sean Carroll's Mindscape - cosmologist interviews people from all walks, but sure mostly scientists and other academics.
    Conversations with Tyler - economist Tyler Cowen also interviews a bunch of academics.
    Very Bad Wizards - a philosopher and psychologist bitch about their fields.
    Two Psychologists Four Beers - just like it says.
    Philosophize This - covers western philosophy from its beginning at an intro level.
    Ezra Klein - politics from a liberal weenie
    Why is This Happening? with Chris Hayes - ditto
    All the Presidents Lawyers - Josh Barro with attorney Ken White (@popehat), best podcast I've heard on the legal issues related to the trumpocracy.
    Al Franken - politics and dad jokes from the serial groper.
    Archaeological Fantasies - this is an old skeptic one I hadn't heard till recently, and it's now a favorite. A couple of archeologists discuss psuedoarcheology topics. But they don't do dinosaurs.

I like to listen to audioobook novels too, and so I've been trying to find some fiction podcasts, but haven't gotten into any I've heard. Anybody heard any good ones?

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    What are you listening too? I still listen to some of the main skeptic ones, but here are some others I like.

Sean Carroll's Mindscape - cosmologist interviews people from all walks, but sure mostly scientists and other academics.
    Conversations with Tyler - economist Tyler Cowen also interviews a bunch of academics.
    Very Bad Wizards - a philosopher and psychologist bitch about their fields.
    Two Psychologists Four Beers - just like it says.
    Philosophize This - covers western philosophy from its beginning at an intro level.
    Ezra Klein - politics from a liberal weenie
    Why is This Happening? with Chris Hayes - ditto
    All the Presidents Lawyers - Josh Barro with attorney Ken White (@popehat), best podcast I've heard on the legal issues related to the trumpocracy.
    Al Franken - politics and dad jokes from the serial groper.
    Archaeological Fantasies - this is an old skeptic one I hadn't heard till recently, and it's now a favorite. A couple of archeologists discuss psuedoarcheology topics. But they don't do dinosaurs.

I like to listen to audioobook novels too, and so I've been trying to find some fiction podcasts, but haven't gotten into any I've heard. Anybody heard any good ones?
    I like Cosmic Queries; astronomy Cast, Fresh Air, Planetary Radio, The Joe Rogan Experience, Our American Stories, All podcasts that feature the Oregon Ducks.

3. Top | #3
    My regulars:

Metis in Space - lowkey but critical longform reviews of science fiction franchises by a pair of indigenous North American scholars

Council of Geeks Livestream- Sci fi and Trans rights topics

Almost Heretical - academic Biblical analysis from a resolutely Progressive standpoint.

Welcome to Night Vale - which I quite hope everyone is familiar with

NPR's Undiscovered (history of science topics) and Throughline (provides in depth historical background to current events)

Anthropological Airwaves
    - which my professional organization publishes.

Facepalm 5 - political roundup by hardcore star trek fan and committed SJW Steve Shives

Speaking of Race - histories of racism in public life by a crew of anthros and a token historian

Hardcore History - Dan Carlin talking too long about various military history topics

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Behind the Bastards: deep-dive research into the histories and activities of the very worst people in history. lots of shits about the big hitters like stalin, hitler, jerry falwell, hubbard, assorted nazis and slavers and business maniacs.

Even More News: weekly discussion about political news, by the team that make the youtube news series Some More News. basically this is the liberal media that the right wants to pretend actually exists in the mainstream (but doesn't) - strongly and unapologetically progressive voices discussing current events.

Worst Year Ever: the people from the above two podcasts deep-diving on presidential candidates and election specific issues.

The Weekly Planet: a duo of australians discussing movies, comics, and TV shows.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Welcome to Night Vale - which I quite hope everyone is familiar with
    Yeah, one of the first I got into. You might also like Alice Isn’t Dead.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Does anybody have a recommendation for a covid podcast? I've been listening to two I like but that are starkly different from each other.

Epidemic - With Ron Klain (2014 ebola czar) and expert Dr. Celine Gounder. It's very well produced and organized. Has good guests and they take questions. Usually 30 minute episodes.

This Week in Virology - This is an old podcast, going on 600 episodes, which has lately been covering covid mostly. It's a discussion among a regular group of experts and some guests. This one could use a good producer, has a lot of small talk I don't care for, could be cut down, there's minimal or no editing. But it does make up for it in its quality of detailed expert information. They are unfiltered in their frank reactions to media misreporting and to criticisms of other scientists. It's been interesting to see their thoughts on covid develop over time from first reports in the news till now a worldwide pandemic. They also take questions. Episodes are usually 1-2 hours. You might want to increase the playback speed for this one.

TWiV just had Ian Lipkin as guest. He was the advisor for the Contagion movie. He has covid now himself and described what it's like.
    Last edited by blastula; 03-30-2020 at 08:55 PM.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    West Wing Weekly: We listen to WWW discuss an episode of The West Wing, and then we watch the episode. They interview relevant people. For instance, one episode dealt with Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and for that episode they interviewed a congressman who got that repealed.

Board Game Barrage: Funny guys bantering about what they've been playing, favorite games, and such.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    99% Invisible
    Crime Writers On
    Daniel & Jorge Explain the Universe
    Freakonomics Radio
    Hang Up & Listen (great sports podcast)
    Monster Talk
    Reply All (IT stories)
    Skeptoid
    SciFri
    The Infinite Monkey Cage
    The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn (fantastic music selection)
    Rhino Podcast (more music talk)