Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coping with Isolation

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So, they just decided to close down our senior center until further notice so I won't get to see my female workout friends for awhile. I will exercise at home, but it just won't be the same. Otherwise, I'm fine with being at home.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Our local city government just announced that all bars, theaters, gyms, arcades, stadiums, etc. are to be closed down effective midnight tonight. Restaurants are to be closed for dining in, but may still provide take-out and delivery. School system is closed indefinitely. Any public or private gatherings of greater than 25 people are prohibited. Nursing homes are locked down.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    On deployment, out at sea for extended periods, coexistence was a big problem for me. Most ships I could find refuge away from people, usually taking up residence in one of our control rooms to get some peace and quiet. On one ship where that wasn’t possible I found that turning in early at about 1900 or so and waking at 0200 worked well for me. That kept me away from the drag of the evening hours when I was really ready for some alone time and there was no place to hide. I remember sitting at my desk evening after evening, trying to read but mostly looking across the room at a couple of my guys doing the same thing they do every evening: playing their video game and methodically shoveling Planters cheese balls in their mouths. I couldn’t take it anymore. That’s when I came up with my early turn-in time. The time I had alone from 02-0600 was wonderful. Just me and a book.
    Dwight

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I"m already bored after just one day. I guess we truly are social animals. Even with the husband and four pets, I feel the need to go out. It must be psychological because there are many days when we never leave the house. I might take a short ride around town just to see what's going on. If not today, certainly by tomorrow.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Speaking of isolation, we've just been informed that not only can we not visit my mom in assisted living, all residents are required to stay in their own apartments all the time. No dinner downstairs. No group activities. I've encouraged mom to turn the TV on and get some virtual company. Even having Gilligan's Island playing in the background for 5 hours a day will help.

I don't know how I could take that. While I stay home almost all the time, I have a wife and kids and 2 acres of land that I can walk around outside.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    Speaking of isolation, we've just been informed that not only can we not visit my mom in assisted living, all residents are required to stay in their own apartments all the time. No dinner downstairs. No group activities. I've encouraged mom to turn the TV on and get some virtual company. Even having Gilligan's Island playing in the background for 5 hours a day will help.

I don't know how I could take that. While I stay home almost all the time, I have a wife and kids and 2 acres of land that I can walk around outside.
    That's really rough for people in facilities. Sorry to hear that it's come to that.

I did take a 15 minute drive yesterday just to see what was going on locally. I passed one restaurant that was open, and I noticed that every dollar store had lots of cars parked outside and the closest grocery store to me still had a pretty full parking lot. The Walgreens near me looked like it had lots of customers too.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny and very warm here, so we might take a little walk in our local botanical garden. It's only open on weekdays. It's free, as it's part of the University of Georgia. That should help with the isolation. I might need to take another trip to the grocery store by then too.

I think it's helpful to know how the rest of you are doing. So, please keep sharing your thoughts, and frustrations. It makes me feel less alone.

Oh, I'm going to suggest to one of my closest senior center friends that we text or call each other at least every other day just to see how each other is doing. I think that will help too.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Between anxiety about C19 and being stuck around the house, and stresses that grandma is not happy being stuck in her room at assisted living, my kids are having issues.

All three are adopted and have long term emotional issues. That my daughter, the oldest has been hospitalized 19 times for dangerous behavior and it has impacted all of us doesn't help.

Tonight my youngest, 17, ended up having a fit about being asked to put the leftover mac n cheese into a container. He ended up punching a hole in the dining room drywall and kicking his bedroom door off the hinges. Then my daughter had to get into the act and started yelling at us. She is 19 and we have told her if she wants to live here she follows our rules and goes outside to cool off and not yell at us. She refused. My wife called 911 but then my daughter went outside and so she told them the problem was over.

But the cops came anyway and I met them in the driveway. I explained my 19 year old daughter was yelling at is and initially refused to take it outside. He asked if we wanted a restraining order. I said no she will be fine and we expect she will come in later.

It took an hour for daughter to calm down and ask to come in. She is always threatening to run away but she has no place to go..

C19, being stuck at home no school, no visiting friends, no going anywhere is going to get harder and harder....

The boys have been videomskyping with friends. Daughter has a few friends she can call but not much. She has a job at a toy store but they will probably close up.

The psychological impact of this is going to get really bad for these kids.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No YMCA 'til.....??? My week revolved around every-other-day workouts in the pool. Wah!!
    BTW, when are the Catholics, evangelicals, LDS, etc., going to revise their teaching on masturbation? Let's call it good, quality recreation with built-in distancing. That'll keep folks at home.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    Between anxiety about C19 and being stuck around the house, and stresses that grandma is not happy being stuck in her room at assisted living, my kids are having issues.

All three are adopted and have long term emotional issues. That my daughter, the oldest has been hospitalized 19 times for dangerous behavior and it has impacted all of us doesn't help.

Tonight my youngest, 17, ended up having a fit about being asked to put the leftover mac n cheese into a container. He ended up punching a hole in the dining room drywall and kicking his bedroom door off the hinges. Then my daughter had to get into the act and started yelling at us. She is 19 and we have told her if she wants to live here she follows our rules and goes outside to cool off and not yell at us. She refused. My wife called 911 but then my daughter went outside and so she told them the problem was over.

But the cops came anyway and I met them in the driveway. I explained my 19 year old daughter was yelling at is and initially refused to take it outside. He asked if we wanted a restraining order. I said no she will be fine and we expect she will come in later.

It took an hour for daughter to calm down and ask to come in. She is always threatening to run away but she has no place to go..

C19, being stuck at home no school, no visiting friends, no going anywhere is going to get harder and harder....

The boys have been videomskyping with friends. Daughter has a few friends she can call but not much. She has a job at a toy store but they will probably close up.

The psychological impact of this is going to get really bad for these kids.
    I really have sympathy for those of you who are stuck in the house with children, especially teenagers. I know that you have struggled to help your children with their problems long before the onset of this crisis. The rest of us really have no right to complain, as our struggles are minor, compared to the issues that you and your family are facing. I don't know if it helps to vent here, but if it does, please keep us posted on how you are coping.

I'm doing fine. The weather is beautiful and warm here. I've been keeping in touch by phone with my workout friend, and my sister. My husband can still take his three mile walks with his little dog, and I still visit my neighbor everyday, although we do sit six feet apart when we chat. I do hate going to the grocery store, knowing that it might be packed with people who aren't taking this seriously and there are still a few who shoppers are trying to hoard things. But, I can't complain. I'm just worried about the medical professionals and other workers who are constantly exposed to the virus, the frail older adults in facilities or who have no-one to help them, and of course the families who are trying to deal with having their children inside 24/7. That's rough.

10. Top | #20
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    It appears that the old American hardiness is being bred out of the culture.

From numerous TV and radio shows it appears that any short term inconvenience brings on torrents of fear and anxiety. No ability to cope with he reality that existence on Earth is not a Disney happy cartoon or a Disneyland ride.
    "The old American hardness" was always a myth.

Hardness comes from hardship, and Americans have had it easier for longer than any other nation in the history of the world.

Americans are soft; They like to pretend that they are hard as nails, but they are just to wealthy and cosseted for that to be true (as a general rule).

The Americans who are hard are mostly in your jails - and those who aren't yet, would be if the average middle class suburbanite had his way.