Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Dead Sea Scrolls Fragments

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Fake Dead Sea Scrolls Fragments

This article from CNN claims that all of the sixteen fragments of the Dead Sea scrolls that are on exhibit at the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC are fake. Previously it was thought that only five were fake.

The family that funded the purchase – the folks that own Hobby Lobby – declined to say how much they had spent on the fragments.

The description of how it was discovered that the forgeries were fake is sort of interesting; at least it was to me.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    I am shocked, shocked I tell you that there is fakery in religious objects.

3. Top | #3
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ahh, religious relics. Of the religious relics venerated by churches, there at least 30 nails that are claimed to have been the ones used in the crucifiction and enough splinters of the cross to build a house. And yet people still don't believe in miracles.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Ahh, religious relics. Of the religious relics venerated by churches, there at least 30 nails that are claimed to have been the ones used in the crucifiction and enough splinters of the cross to build a house. And yet people still don't believe in miracles.
    The joke that i heard was that in the Middle Ages there were enough splinters of the cross on display in churches to reassemble Noah's Ark.

5. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    If you're going to quote Erasmus, at least do it right - it was a boat he said you could build.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I can't quite make out whether these are forgeries of the originals that were found in the cave, or that the originals themselves are fake.

7. Top | #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I can't quite make out whether these are forgeries of the originals that were found in the cave, or that the originals themselves are fake.
    These are forgeries of the originals, which they were hoodwinked into buying off the black market. There are missing fragments in circulation due to the uncontrolled situation of their original discovery, so it wasn't implausible that new fragments might turn up. But these aren't.

Most of the authentic fragments now known are kept, as they have long been, at the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem.

8. Top | #8
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    These are forgeries of the originals, which they were hoodwinked into buying off the black market. There are missing fragments in circulation due to the uncontrolled situation of their original discovery, so it wasn't implausible that new fragments might turn up. But these aren't.

Most of the authentic fragments now known are kept, as they have long been, at the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem.
    Hoodwinked? Maybe they were but they were certainly complicit in their being hoodwinked.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

Hoodwinked? Maybe they were but they were certainly complicit in their being hoodwinked.
    I hope you don't think I approve of buying black market antiquities in the first place. I assure you this is not the case.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If most of the fragments are in the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem, you'd think that it would be easy for a buyer to check authenticity by just checking with them.