Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Fake Dead Sea Scrolls Fragments

  1. Top | #11
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,186
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    If most of the fragments are in the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem, you'd think that it would be easy for a buyer to check authenticity by just checking with them.
    The problem is that many of the remaining fragments are unaccounted for. There have been several occasions in the past that new, previously unknown fragments have popped up. This is because the original assemblage was scattered and sold to multiple parties before scholars became aware of them. As for this party, I doubt they would have contacted anyone about the sale ahead of time, as they were fully aware that they were engaging in an illegal activity.

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    21
    There is always a pedantic in the crowd.

  3. Top | #13
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    7,482
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    12,521
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    If most of the fragments are in the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem, you'd think that it would be easy for a buyer to check authenticity by just checking with them.
    The problem is that many of the remaining fragments are unaccounted for. There have been several occasions in the past that new, previously unknown fragments have popped up. This is because the original assemblage was scattered and sold to multiple parties before scholars became aware of them. As for this party, I doubt they would have contacted anyone about the sale ahead of time, as they were fully aware that they were engaging in an illegal activity.
    If Hobby Lobby has its way we'll be able to reopen the ancient library of Alexandria with all the "authentic" fragments they obtain. It's kinda like all those nails and pieces of wood in the middle ages.

    Even as a kid I wondered about those relics buried under the altar of our church that were from our patron saint. I always wondered why they weren't in a museum somewhere because they were obviously quite valuable, being the bones of one of Jesus's actual followers. Then I grew up and realized they were just fakes.

  4. Top | #14
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,368
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,344
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    There is always a pedantic in the crowd.
    A person who nit picks is a pedant. "Pedantic" is an adjective.

  5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    11,832
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    19,879
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    There is always a pedantic in the crowd.
    A person who nit picks is a pedant. "Pedantic" is an adjective.
    You are such a pedantic!

  6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator Bronzeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    7,177
    Archived
    7,568
    Total Posts
    14,745
    Rep Power
    47
    Somebody watched Raiders of the Lost Ark too many times.

    The sale of fake religious relics is at least as old as the Crusades. There were thousands of people ready and willing to take gullible Europeans to places where Jesus preached and if they wanted a souvenir, that could be had for a price. It's was likely as a Brooklyn cab driver taking you to the spot where George Washington pitched his tent in the Revolutionary War and just happened to have Washington's shoelaces.

    It's a familiar recipe for fraud. The buyer wants to believe it's real and the seller convinces the buyer that it's a limited time offer.

    These are the same people who bought a pallet of 4000 year old cuneiform clay tablets and tried to smuggle them into the country by listing them as "hand made clay tile." They are accustomed to dealing with criminals and the criminals are accustomed to dealing with them.

  7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    7,482
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    12,521
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    Somebody watched Raiders of the Lost Ark too many times.

    The sale of fake religious relics is at least as old as the Crusades. There were thousands of people ready and willing to take gullible Europeans to places where Jesus preached and if they wanted a souvenir, that could be had for a price. It's was likely as a Brooklyn cab driver taking you to the spot where George Washington pitched his tent in the Revolutionary War and just happened to have Washington's shoelaces.

    It's a familiar recipe for fraud. The buyer wants to believe it's real and the seller convinces the buyer that it's a limited time offer.

    These are the same people who bought a pallet of 4000 year old cuneiform clay tablets and tried to smuggle them into the country by listing them as "hand made clay tile." They are accustomed to dealing with criminals and the criminals are accustomed to dealing with them.
    I recently watched one of those Forensic File Episodes from back in the '90s. A forger was selling early Mormon documents to buyers. To keep his secret he pipe-bombed a person who was on to his scam and was going to out him. But it took decades to uncover the fraud and every single document he'd ever sold was found to be a fake.

    People love their woo.

  8. Top | #18
    Super Moderator Bronzeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    7,177
    Archived
    7,568
    Total Posts
    14,745
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    Somebody watched Raiders of the Lost Ark too many times.

    The sale of fake religious relics is at least as old as the Crusades. There were thousands of people ready and willing to take gullible Europeans to places where Jesus preached and if they wanted a souvenir, that could be had for a price. It's was likely as a Brooklyn cab driver taking you to the spot where George Washington pitched his tent in the Revolutionary War and just happened to have Washington's shoelaces.

    It's a familiar recipe for fraud. The buyer wants to believe it's real and the seller convinces the buyer that it's a limited time offer.

    These are the same people who bought a pallet of 4000 year old cuneiform clay tablets and tried to smuggle them into the country by listing them as "hand made clay tile." They are accustomed to dealing with criminals and the criminals are accustomed to dealing with them.
    I recently watched one of those Forensic File Episodes from back in the '90s. A forger was selling early Mormon documents to buyers. To keep his secret he pipe-bombed a person who was on to his scam and was going to out him. But it took decades to uncover the fraud and every single document he'd ever sold was found to be a fake.

    People love their woo.
    The Hoffman affair had an unexpected twist. He produced documents which Church leaders wanted to possess in order to keep them from being known to the public. Specifically, a letter which could be interpreted to say that Joseph Smith had used sorcery in his dealings with Moroni. Church leaders quickly came up with interpretations consistent with Mormon scripture.

    This parallels an issue with the Dead Sea scrolls. In the early days, there was great apprehension the scrolls might give a contemporary account of Jesus which conflicted with the accepted Gospels. As time went by and more material was surveyed, it became clear that Jesus was not mentioned by name, and very likely not even the most oblique reference. This caused just as much anxiety.

  9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,534
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,034
    Rep Power
    90
    I just keep thinking of all those creationists claiming that all evolutionary theory is wrong because 'science' bought into the Piltdown Man forgery.

  10. Top | #20
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,368
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,344
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    There is always a pedantic in the crowd.
    A person who nit picks is a pedant. "Pedantic" is an adjective.
    You are such a pedantic asshole!
    FIFY
    Your sentence needed a predicate nominative.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •