Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is the First Day I am Freaking Out

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Today is the First Day I am Freaking Out

Maybe it's just my anxiety or maybe I am onto something. Some things I was hearing have me in a constant state of stress. I am not panicking yet, but I am one step away.

Here are the things that triggered me:
    • Last night visit to the store, seeing an entire empty aisle and no ground beef, turkey, or chicken.
    • Italy announces 7.7% death rate from coronavirus.
    • Trump mentions things not being cleared until July or August.
    • Hearing people are buying guns left and right.
    • Hearing schools in the state are about to end the school year now.

If we make this thing nearly go away over the next month, it's just going to come back because it won't really be gone. The only way it is eliminated is if nearly all of us get it. That will take a short time to a long time. If it were a short time, there'd be mass deaths as the systems we have in place cannot handle it. Therefore, we've tried to flatten the curve, but we have to keep it flat until nearly everyone gets it or nearly everyone has a vaccine. We are potentially looking at a year. Yeah, I write a year. Trump said July or August. When have you known Trump to tell the truth?

The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised, a secret Public Health England (PHE) briefing for senior NHS officials reveals.

The document, seen by the Guardian, is the first time health chiefs tackling the virus have admitted that they expect it to circulate for 12 more months and lead to huge extra strain on an already overstretched NHS.

It also suggests that health chiefs are braced for as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the coronavirus over that time.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-hospitalised

How long can people hold it together when they realize just how long this is going to last and that we might be slow-cooking frogs?

What is going to start happening in this country? We are having occasional panics now. Food is still there. What happens when it's been hoarded so much and manufacturers of goods start having productivity and catch-up issues? People are arming themselves.

In another 3 months, what is going to happen? Martial law in certain areas? Do you think you will be able to vote in November? What about a year. What happens when the next winter comes? If you live in a temperate farm area with chickens and growing corn, I envy you. Except for the fear.

2. Top | #2
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Would it be flippant and insensitive of me to expect jesus to soon appear in the sky?

Honestly, this reminds me of many of my friends circa Y2K. Has China or any country descended into armageddon?

3. Top | #3
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It was reported early this morning in a local FB group that the local grocery store are packed full of people, parking lots jam-packed with cars. Out of curiosity, I drove past a couple stores this evening at about 7pm. Both stores still packed with people.

I just ordered some groceries online. I'll pick them up tomorrow afternoon. No need to step into that crap.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #4
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

If we make this thing nearly go away over the next month, it's just going to come back because it won't really be gone.
    I don't think enough is known yet to make any such predictions. However I seriously don't think it will be gone over the next month but may take a bit longer. If and when it is gone it may be gone like SARS was, like the 1918 flu pandemic, etc. Alternately, once and if it is gone, it may return in the fall like seasonal flu does.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Grocery stores in greater Akron have been busy, but not packed. Confirmed cases in Ohio not nearly what other states are seeing yet. But bread, bottled water, hand soap seems to be the big thing.... bottled water. Like this is a hurricane. Generally, food has been available.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what Jenny McCarthy's position on the Covid-19 vaccine is.

And of course, the longer we wait for a full quarantine, the harder it'll be to stamp this out. We are already in tricky waters now.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Saturday, the meat shelves were empty when we bought dinner (frozen pizza). Planned meals for the week accordingly. Sunday, my weekly shopping, the meats were back. But the marinara aisle was decimated.
    And of course, the toilet paper was gone both days.

The checkout line was crazed, as everyone had a different idea of social distancing. People arguing over a foot or two, shouting at each other, spraying spittle around like marking territory.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Saturday, the meat shelves were empty when we bought dinner (frozen pizza). Planned meals for the week accordingly. Sunday, my weekly shopping, the meats were back. But the marinara aisle was decimated.
    And of course, the toilet paper was gone both days.

The checkout line was crazed, as everyone had a different idea of social distancing. People arguing over a foot or two, shouting at each other, spraying spittle around like marking territory.
    That's right, frozen pizza was out too... except Digorno, the more expensive pizza. And that sucked because I wanted to get a cheese pizza.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No change here in the middle of nowhere in Russia. Saw two women over 60 kissing during greeting on the street.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    No change here in the middle of nowhere in Russia. Saw two women over 60 kissing during greeting on the street.
    Oddly, I haven't heard any news out of Russia re: COVID-19

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    • Last night visit to the store, seeing an entire empty aisle and no ground beef, turkey, or chicken.
    • Italy announces 7.7% death rate from coronavirus.
    • Trump mentions things not being cleared until July or August.
    • Hearing people are buying guns left and right.
    • Hearing schools in the state are about to end the school year now.

1.- Same everywhere, people are just reacting to uncertainty. It's not an indicator of anything concrete
    2.- that is alarming, but there are precautions you can take and that is what you can control.
    3.- Don't listen to Trump. He knows nothing about everything.
    4.- People buying guns are morons. It's not a zombie apocalypse.
    5.- Closing schools is precautionary.

If you are worried, set yourself up to go out as little as possible and follow instructions re: hygiene. Learn to play an instrument.