Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is the First Day I am Freaking Out

1. Top | #91
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Science.
    Science is a method, not a piece of evidence. Show me how the scientific method has been applied to demonstrate the efficacy. If you can't do that, then at least acknowledge the foolishness of a President holding it out to 63 million people as a cure. Don't bother telling me what he literally said, because we both know what he literally meant, who he was talking to and what they gleaned from it. It's fucking irresponsible to the nth degree for the President to do that. If you had happened upon that study, contracted COVID-19 and happened to have access to some hydroxychloroquine that would be one thing. But for a goddam PRESIDENT to go off on it on multiple live national telecasts because he was desperate to sound authoritative and hopeful...
    Never mind Derec. If you don't get it by now, you don't get it. BTW your link timed out.
    Reminder: They still haven't tried eye of newt. Who knows, right?

2. Top | #92
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Science is a method, not a piece of evidence. Show me how the scientific method has been applied to demonstrate the efficacy.
    I posted a paper that shows efficacy in vitro. Obviously the virus has not been active for a whole bunch of studies to be conducted, but scientists are actively researching it. Your quip of "eye of newt" put it in the realm of witchcraft, which it definitely isn't.

If you can't do that, then at least acknowledge the foolishness of a President holding it out to 63 million people as a cure.
    You are the one who keeps mentioning him. I have not brought him up and neither have I claimed it was a cure for sure, just a possible and promising treatment.

Don't bother telling me what he literally said, because we both know what he literally meant, who he was talking to and what they gleaned from it.
    I don't know what he said, since I did not hear about OH-Cl-Quine from him.

Reminder: They still haven't tried eye of newt. Who knows, right?
    You should try it out. Maybe you get the Nobel Prize.

3. Top | #93
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I posted a paper that shows efficacy in vitro.
    You posted a link that doesn't work, but that's ok; I know what DOCTOR Fauci said about that study. Even if the study outcome was totally conclusive in vitro (which it is/was not to date afaik) - So what? People aren't fucking petri dishes. You know that. I know that. The sad thing is, Trump doesn't know that. Nor does he know that his lying and misleading people is dangerous this situation. He's a fucking moron.

I don't know what he said
    AF quoted him to you. Guess you don't read before you go off... I do that too sometimes, it's not a crime. Let me help you out:

“What do we have to lose? I feel very good about it,” the president said. “We’re going to find out very shortly whether or not it’s going to work.”

Your quip of "eye of newt" put it in the realm of witchcraft
    Bullshit. Eye of Newt has exactly as many completed human studies for this supposed efficacy as does OH-Cl-Quine at this time, which places them both in the "untested" category.

4. Top | #94
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm worried about all the people who can't not go to work, and who work in direct physical contact with people. The front line, of course, is health care workers, but also think about law enforcement. They can't arrest people without touching them, and they'll be short staffed from officers getting coronavirus.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

5. Top | #95
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Many people can't afford to lose a days pay, yet alone a week or more. A lot of suffering is going to come from this.

6. Top | #96
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    I'm worried about all the people who can't not go to work, and who work in direct physical contact with people. The front line, of course, is health care workers, but also think about law enforcement. They can't arrest people without touching them, and they'll be short staffed from officers getting coronavirus.
    Or the poor grocery store employees working in a crush of humanity constantly transiting aisles where distancing is not possible. Cashiers well within the blast zone of any sneeze, handling every item that goes in the bag. How exposed are they sans the proper PPE healthcare workers don?
    Im thankful they can’t go look for another job right now.

7. Top | #97
    Archived
    Total Posts

Today is the first day ...

... I am freaking out.
    I play bridge and my planned retirement was to go around the country entering regional and national tournaments. It is so popular among people of a certain age that the average age of ACBL members is 70. I have made acquaintances and friends from time to time. Oh, yeah, those guys: he lives in Italy this time of year and his partner is in NYC. That both survive has a vanishingly low probability.

It is getting a bit closer. Just a bit. At an exponential rate.

8. Top | #98
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Many people can't afford to lose a days pay, yet alone a week or more. A lot of suffering is going to come from this.
    That's the tragedy of it. And we go into this with an economy supposedly tremendous but with massive deficits. It's scary to say the least. Maybe that garden and fruit I grow will come in handy after the food supply runs out.

9. Top | #99
    Archived
    Total Posts
    About to go to cutting practice. The arena is pretty big, but we're restricting it to 2-3 people/horses. A show schedule is published and it hasn't been cancelled yet, but not sure I want to be in a place - no matter how big - with 50 other competitors plus spectators. Not that anyone would be forced within 6-8 feet of each other, but ...

Grateful for my cutting horse that we're one of the few allowed in the practice.

10. Top | #100
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Hydroxychloroquine is definitely not in the "eye of newt" category. Tests in China and France showed some promise.
    Researchers Look To Old Drugs For A Possible Coronavirus Treatment – It Might Just Work

Many drugs are dangerous if misused. Your point?
    Here's part B of "the point", as predicted:

Nigeria Has Chloroquine Poisonings After Trump Praised Drug

But who cares if a few jungle bunnies die because they're as stupid as American Evangelicals, right?