Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is the First Day I am Freaking Out

1. Top | #151
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Is it time we sacrifice a billionaire to a volcano?
    Should have been done a while ago, saving the World a whole lot of trouble.

2. Top | #152
    Archived
    Total Posts

Chinese celebrates win over COVID-19 by ..... eating bats and cats again.

We are doomed.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-bats.html

Assuming the story is not fake.

3. Top | #153
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    We are doomed.

I've heard a few reports that the markets are operating in their normal way. It's hard to change traditional ways of doing things.

4. Top | #154
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    We are doomed.

I've heard a few reports that the markets are operating in their normal way. It's hard to change traditional ways of doing things.
    Again, what are these stupid totalitarian regimes good for if they can't round up these people and send them to reeducation camps like they do with their muslims? I doubt there are that many Chinese who still eat bats, send couple of thousands of them (especially sellers) and the rest would probably stop.

5. Top | #155
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We are doomed.

First, It's the daily mail so assuming it to be fake is the best bet.

Second, what's wrong with cats and dogs? Other than it being useful to rile up British and other Western readers for whom this is a cultural no-no? I don't know of a single historical precedent where a dog or cat virus became a threat to humans. Unlike cattle (Creutzfeld-Jacob aka BSE), and quite unlike pigs (the probable source of the Spanish flu, no less!)

6. Top | #156
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If preventing the jumping of zoonotic diseases to humans is your major concern, then stopping people from eating bats, cats, or dogs should take a very distant back seat from stopping people from eating chickens and pigs.

7. Top | #157
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    If preventing the jumping of zoonotic diseases to humans is your major concern, then stopping people from eating bats, cats, or dogs should take a very distant back seat from stopping people from eating chickens and pigs.
    Not true, farm animals are farmed in a more less controlled environment. Wild animals are not and in the case of bats it is much more dangerous because of peculiarities of their immune system they are reservoir of a lot of crappy viruses including Rabies. As for the cats, I really doubt that these poor cats in the picture are farmed.

8. Top | #158
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not true, farm animals are farmed in a more less controlled environment. Wild animals are not and in the case of bats it is much more dangerous because of peculiarities of their immune system they are reservoir of a lot of crappy viruses including Rabies. As for the cats, I really doubt that these poor cats in the picture are farmed.
    I sincerely doubt that many rural chinese chickens and pigs are being farmed in anything a western farmer would recognise as a "controlled environment".

9. Top | #159
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Do you know of an actual case of a non-trivial zoonosis originating (or even just: plausibly originating in cases where the actual source is unknown) in cats or dogs?

Because examples abound for pigs, cattle, chickens. If dogs and cats are more dangerous, it should be easy to find such examples even as a smaller percentage of the world population have cats and dogs on their menus.

10. Top | #160
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Do you know of an actual case of a non-trivial zoonosis originating (or even just: plausibly originating in cases where the actual source is unknown) in cats or dogs?

Because examples abound for pigs, cattle, chickens. If dogs and cats are more dangerous, it should be easy to find such examples even as a smaller percentage of the world population have cats and dogs on their menus.
    I am fine with you eating your cat, just don't eat bats.