Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is the First Day I am Freaking Out

1. Top | #111
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post

Chinese, Japanese and Koreans seem to disagree with you.
    Aren't those people the reason that Rhinos and Sharks are disappearing?
    Seriously, those cultures have a thing for superstitious cures and remedies. Bigly.
    Do you mean dolphins, not sharks?
    I might have been mistaken when I included Japan, their handling of COVID-19 is not that exemplary - don't test and seem to be ignoring social distancing.
    And what about you - anti-science religious gun nuts, you think you are better than everything that moves eating asians?

2. Top | #112
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Last evening was my first freak-out day and I'm ashamed. I think it happened because I read too many depressing articles about people cashing in. So today I talked to my wife and told her we're probably both going to catch this thing before it's all over so not to worry. Whatever will be will be.
    My sister, three years older at 80, waxed poetic about how she had had a good life and was ready to go. The new 15 minute test plus Hydroxychloroquine, zithromax and zinc may stop this in its tracks.
    Every pandemic in history has been characterised by the early emergence of a simple, inexpensive, and widely available treatment regime that is widely agreed to be an effective cure.

The one thing these treatments have in common is their complete lack of effectiveness, and the deep faith people have in them despite their being totally ineffective.

Hydroxychloroquine is this pandemic's version of that. It's just possible that it might help a little in some severe cases. It's most certainly NOT going to stop Covid-19 in its tracks.

A vaccine might; But it is far from clear that one will become available soon, or even ever. Medicine isn't magic, and some viruses may never have effecive vaccines. This could easily be one of those.
    After listening to Trump, it (CQ) stopped this Arizona couple in their tracks.
    Dwight

3. Top | #113
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Last evening was my first freak-out day and I'm ashamed. I think it happened because I read too many depressing articles about people cashing in. So today I talked to my wife and told her we're probably both going to catch this thing before it's all over so not to worry. Whatever will be will be.
    My sister, three years older at 80, waxed poetic about how she had had a good life and was ready to go. The new 15 minute test plus Hydroxychloroquine, zithromax and zinc may stop this in its tracks.
    Whatever soothes and comforts I suppose. I'll take good food, good company, a healthy lifestyle and common sense. My wife is gathering information for the kids, information that will not likely be needed re the virus. It was one of those moments where your life flashed, a moment I never experienced before.

4. Top | #114
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

Every pandemic in history has been characterised by the early emergence of a simple, inexpensive, and widely available treatment regime that is widely agreed to be an effective cure.

The one thing these treatments have in common is their complete lack of effectiveness, and the deep faith people have in them despite their being totally ineffective.

Hydroxychloroquine is this pandemic's version of that. It's just possible that it might help a little in some severe cases. It's most certainly NOT going to stop Covid-19 in its tracks.

A vaccine might; But it is far from clear that one will become available soon, or even ever. Medicine isn't magic, and some viruses may never have effecive vaccines. This could easily be one of those.
    After listening to Trump, it (CQ) stopped this Arizona couple in their tracks.
    Yeah, I don't think people realize that some medications have expiration dates for good reasons and that what you are buying for your koi pond may not be what it claims to be and may not be formulated for human consumption. And then there's the whole question of dosage...

5. Top | #115
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    SCORE!

I found a place selling N95 masks. Bought two with replaceable filters, and a package of filters.

https://vmask.shop/
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #116
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    SCORE!

I found a place selling N95 masks. Bought two with replaceable filters, and a package of filters.

Why does that site make me seriously distrust what it's saying? What's "N95 grade"? The proper term is simply "N95".

Note, also, that to get true N95 performance you have to be fit for them.

7. Top | #117
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I would have to shave my gross looking new beard to have the mask work, right?

8. Top | #118
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    SCORE!

Why does that site make me seriously distrust what it's saying? What's "N95 grade"? The proper term is simply "N95".

Note, also, that to get true N95 performance you have to be fit for them.
    Good OSHA gouge:

https://www.osha.gov/video/respirato...ranscript.html

The first part of the filter's classification uses the letters N, R, or P to indicate the filter's ability to function when exposed to oils.
    "N" means Not resistant to oil;
    "R" means somewhat Resistant to oil; and
    "P" means strongly resistant to oil, or oil-Proof.

This rating is only important in work settings where oils may be present, because some oils can reduce the effectiveness of the filter.

The second part of the classification -- the number-- refers to the filter's ability to remove the most-penetrating particle size during "worst case" testing.

Filters that remove at least 95 percent of these particles are given a 95 rating. Those that filter out at least 99 percent receive a 99 rating, and those that filter out at least 99.97 percent - essentially 100 percent - receive a 100 rating.

9. Top | #119
    SCORE!

Site declined my card. Support wants payment through Venmo or Zelle. I think I will decline the option. My card company said no request was made before the denial. Just a bit too sketchy for me when they can’t process an order online and want third party payment options.

10. Top | #120
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horhangi View Post
    SCORE!

Site declined my card. Support wants payment through Venmo or Zelle. I think I will decline the option. My card company said no request was made before the denial. Just a bit too sketchy for me when they can’t process an order online and want third party payment options.
    Hmm. No problems on my Mastercard. Paypal would have been nice.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.