View Poll Results: Are you unemployed?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was already unemployed, retired, or otherwise not working.

11 28.95%
  • I am now unemployed or will be very soon.

3 7.89%
  • My employment is stable as far as I know.

24 63.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Unemployment Poll

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Quick Unemployment Poll

I am really wondering what we're looking at here...I think the unemployment goes way beyond restaurants and bars.

Just want to do a quick poll to see where we are now.

No, this is not intended to be US only.

2. Top | #2
    I'm lucky to be in a job that can be done remotely. I am expecting to take a hit in terms of overtime pay if the Fall term sees low enrollment, but unless things get very bad my job won't be in jeopardy.

My students, though.... I've talked to at least eight who have been laid off in the past few days, and it's only the beginning of the job losses.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just started a new and better job.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm pretty lucky, I can easily work remotely and I was already working remotely a couple times a week.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Retired going on two years, but this is not doing my Superannuation balance or share portfolio any good, not at all.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My whole division working from home. I might go in for any classified-related work.
    My wife's school district treating this as a really long snow day, but may have to figure out learning if the break gets extended.
    My son works for a theater company. No work for him. I offered hom money to clean out the basement.
    Other son is Front Desk at a yoga training center. He's doing his nightbaudits from home.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Still fully employed, started full-time WFH a few weeks ago, unrelated to the virus. The company just told us our merit increases are frozen while they evaluate the effect on the business, which should be significant.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm self employed, which is sort of like unemployed. I'll classify myself as under employed. I never hot a lot of foot traffic, so it's not much different. My neighbors are a jeweler, a dress shop, and a dry cleaner. They are still open, but have reduced hours.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My husband and I have both been retired for over two years. Our son is a programmer/developer who was just told he can now work at home everyday instead of just two days a week. My sister was working at home three days a week, but has been told to do all of her work at home and stop visiting her clients in person. Her husband is retired other than for occasional jobs doing real estate photography. So, as of now, my family isn't hurting like some people are.

Not that I would want to do it, but Krogers and other large grocery stores are begging for help since the increased demand for groceries as people are eating at home. I guess that would be an opportunity for low wage workers who have lost their jobs. Some stores are offering extra pay and other incentives to get more employees. They need people to restock the shelves and such. I guess that's better than not having a paycheck, but of course it won't be enough to solve what will likely be a huge crisis. Jobless claims are rising exponentially according to recent projections. Those of us who are happily retired or can work from home are the lucky ones.

But, I am very concerned about the safety of healthcare professionals, considering there aren't enough supplies to protect them. Health care professionals should be a first priority when it comes to protective supplies like gloves and masks. IF we don't protect them, there won't be enough of them to care for those of us who get sick.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Retired going on two years, but this is not doing my Superannuation balance or share portfolio any good, not at all.
    Sorry to read that.

Got stock based investments out of our accounts 17 years ago. Now just two corporate based retirement plans. The one with LA unified, bride, looks good for most situations including this one. My plans with Boeing are prepaid annuities (insurance) and Social Security (as good as our military).

I took advantage of crisis to invest in drug development efforts - there is nothing to fear especially fear itself - for about $10 K quick gain, my pick and grab plan. Other than that savings look secure since they are insured to $ 100K. Home looks good unless there is complete breakdown of housing market.