View Poll Results: Are you unemployed?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was already unemployed, retired, or otherwise not working.

11 28.95%
  • I am now unemployed or will be very soon.

3 7.89%
  • My employment is stable as far as I know.

24 63.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Unemployment Poll

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    My wife and I ironically just moved to Oregon in late February to be closer to family (my mom is the last remaining parent between us), miraculously got a very good job from an old junior high school buddy in mid-February and was laid off last monday--along with over a third of the other employees as a pre-emptive move for the company--from same.

Joy.

2. Top | #12
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been 100% remote since I started this job, but obviously it depends on my employer surviving. I suspect that the loss of a certain person there would end my job, also--and he's 65+.

3. Top | #13
    Mixed bag. I am fully employed as the school district I teach in is going to remote learning after the break. Still don’t know how that is going to work, other than I will be teaching from my home brewery.
    Wife needs to file for unemployment as she is a waitress, and with no sit down dining she is not working.

4. Top | #14
    Mad Quilter Old Woman in Purple's Avatar
    I'm a housewife that is still housewifeing.

Husband is a technician that builds machines at a small company (12 employees) in a nearby suburb that is currently 'shut down for 2 weeks'.... We'll find out if that gets extended or not. Don't know yet if an extended shut-down will seriously affect the company's ability to stay in business.... They aren't giving any clues either way. Not exactly reassuring.

Daughter is a Bartender, so isn't working. Theoretically still has a job (at a golf course), but the place is shut down for the duration.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This situation has the potential to become depression to rival or surpass the 30's. It doesn't look good. Hopefully it'll blow out relatively quickly.

6. Top | #16
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I drive a truck delivering fresh chicken. Our restaurant sales have dropped off a cliff; But that's far more than made up for by the boom in supermarket deliveries.

This is usually our quietest time of year, but right now it's as busy as the fortnight before Christmas - and it's been that way for almost a month now, with no let up in sight.

If the Department of Transport allowed it, I reckon my boss would have us working 24x7. As it is we are all driving 10-12 hours a day, six days a week.

7. Top | #17
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    I'm comfortably retired, but I have no idea what my finances will look like after the recession/depression gets into full swing. I will likely be much better off than most, except that I'm in my mid-70s and facing a pandemic that is unkind old people. I have SS, Medicare, and a pension to fall back on.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm full time and have worked at home for over 10 years. I'm basically an industry analyst and market research director at a consulting company. If my clients keep buying research I'll be fine. If they don't i could lose my job.

Before the market crash I was considering early retirement. Now i'll hang in as long as I can until the market comes back. Not keen on drawing income from the sale of really depressed stocks.

As it is i also will inherit my mom's wealth that is about equal to what mine was before the crash. Though over 2/3 of her money is either real estate or life insurance on my now deceased dad. The crash didn't hit her net worth as much as mine. She's 85.

I guess either way I'll be fine but for now I'd rather keep working.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I already was semi-retired, now mostly working part time to fill the gap until Medicare. This last week started obviously slowing down with less out there in the Gig IT field work world, so I'm more retired than usual...

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Retired/spouse still working. For the most part, his work can be done remotely/via internet, at least in theory. He's an academic, so a lot depends on what the fall brings. Fortunately, he has enough time in that he is pretty secure in his job--as secure as anybody could be. He had planned to work for maybe 2 more years. Not sure if that will be prudent --or possible in the new world we are facing.

We haven't looked at the retirement accounts which were looking very rosy indeed (so I retired early from a job I didn't like with a long commute that was an enormous time suck and bad for the environment) and now are probably very scary indeed.

So I may be in the market again at some point...

Kids seem to be fine for now. One or two are perhaps less secure in their jobs/financials than others. We'll do our best to help them tide over if they need it.