Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DOJ Wants to Suspend Constitutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    What took them so long? Republicans must really be in disarray if it's taken them this long to abuse a national emergency to give their party and their king even more authoritarian powers.
    Indeed. These bats have been flying around in my head for a month or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    What alarms me, is that the Trump regime already has the power to hasten or delay the peak level of the pandemic in the US, and I fear they will make every effort to make it coincide with the election in November, at the cost of millions if not tens of millions of lives.
    How?

Read this
    Read that? I'm afraid to. I'll go enjoy my evening and read it and lp's link in the morning.
    I need some happy.
    Dwight

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What alarms me, is that the Trump regime already has the power to hasten or delay the peak level of the pandemic in the US, and I fear they will make every effort to make it coincide with the election in November, at the cost of millions if not tens of millions of lives.
    How?

Read this
    Like the GOP has the ability to influence this pandemic. They can take advantage of it, but they can’t manipulate the disease itself.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    How?

Read this
    Like the GOP has the ability to influence this pandemic. They can take advantage of it, but they can’t manipulate the disease itself.
    Yes, they can.
    Read the article, then tell me about it.
    The duration of increasing numbers of infected (the length of the uphill side of "the curve") can be influenced through both resource manipulation and by the timing of suppression measures. Those effects can be quantified - check it out.
    I suspect that the administration's laggardly federal response right now is partly ineptitude and partly the dim realization that this might be their savior from having to face an election this fall, if they can string it out long enough.

4. Top | #14
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The people who hate this would be the first ones complaining if someone murdered their family member and the cop said, "No court system right now. He's free to go."

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post

Read that? I'm afraid to. I'll go enjoy my evening and read it and lp's link in the morning.
    I need some happy.
    Seriously - it holds out some hope, and I found it slightly settling to have a much better grasp of the variables in play here, which ones are really important, and how to anticipate outcomes for x,y, z actions or inactions. It's a good thing...
    READ IT!
    You'll sleep better!

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    The people who hate this would be the first ones complaining if someone murdered their family member and the cop said, "No court system right now. He's free to go."
    Lacking any real world evidence to support his side, Halfie ONCE AGAIN invokes AU fanfic in place of anything resembling an argument.

7. Top | #17
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Lacking any real world evidence to support his side, Halfie ONCE AGAIN invokes AU fanfic in place of anything resembling an argument.
    It's perfectly rational. You're just stalling because you don't have an answer.

8. Top | #18
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    People who hate that understand why we have the Constitution we have and why it's important to not override its fundamentals to give power to one branch of government. What you describe there is a non-functional judicial system, and we absolutely do want a functioning judicial system. We don't want murderers getting off scot free and we don't want people unconstitutionally arrested and detained indefinitely. Why is this rocket science?
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    So they should simply not arrest anyone? The normal protections assume a working court system, with courts shutting down what are they supposed to do??
    So can we conclude you are fine with arresting and holding them indefinitely (which included alleged rapists)?

10. Top | #20
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What's this vile garbage doing in this thread?

(This is the senate version of the government's attempt to basically deny freedom of speech on the internet.)