Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: DOJ Wants to Suspend Constitutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency

  1. Top | #21
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    27,185
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,937
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    The people who hate this would be the first ones complaining if someone murdered their family member and the cop said, "No court system right now. He's free to go."
    Lacking any real world evidence to support his side, Halfie ONCE AGAIN invokes AU fanfic in place of anything resembling an argument.
    He's right in this case.

    With courts shut down the current rules do not allow us to hold arrestees more than a few days. They get their appearance before the judge or they get let go--and if there's no court for that appearance what can the cops do?

    I really don't like the idea of the government having this power but I don't see any alternative.

  2. Top | #22
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    27,185
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,937
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    So they should simply not arrest anyone? The normal protections assume a working court system, with courts shutting down what are they supposed to do??
    So can we conclude you are fine with arresting and holding them indefinitely (which included alleged rapists)?
    What we need is to modify the court system so it can be done electronically but that will take time.

  3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,559
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    58,502
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    So they should simply not arrest anyone? The normal protections assume a working court system, with courts shutting down what are they supposed to do??
    So can we conclude you are fine with arresting and holding them indefinitely (which included alleged rapists)?
    What we need is to modify the court system so it can be done electronically but that will take time.
    Got it, you are fine with holding people indefinitely without them having recourse when courts shut down. Wow.

  4. Top | #24
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    27,185
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,937
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    What we need is to modify the court system so it can be done electronically but that will take time.
    Got it, you are fine with holding people indefinitely without them having recourse when courts shut down. Wow.
    Got it, you're fine with letting murderers caught red-handed walk away.

  5. Top | #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    What we need is to modify the court system so it can be done electronically but that will take time.
    Got it, you are fine with holding people indefinitely without them having recourse when courts shut down. Wow.
    Got it, you're fine with letting murderers caught red-handed walk away.
    Maybe there's a flipside. If someone murders your family member, you can then murder them. No punishment.

  6. Top | #26
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,559
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    58,502
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    What we need is to modify the court system so it can be done electronically but that will take time.
    Got it, you are fine with holding people indefinitely without them having recourse when courts shut down. Wow.
    Got it, you're fine with letting murderers caught red-handed walk away.
    I'm not advocating holding arrested people indefinitely because the court system is closed - you are I am not advocating letting arrested people go, so your response is an example of straw man.

    There is nothing stopping the court system to go online for bail hearings, etc... in order to prevent miscarriages of justice under the totalitarian approach of holding arrestees indefinitely.

  7. Top | #27
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    13,205
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    13,912
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    There is nothing stopping the court system to go online for bail hearings, etc... in order to prevent miscarriages of justice under the totalitarian approach of holding arrestees indefinitely.
    Y'know what would be really cool? A sci fi story where an entire society was controlled by an all-seeing entity that only appears on screens, passes judgments on people, tells them who to kill and who is their friend ...
    Yeah, that would be neat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •