Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: This is What is Going to Happen - we need suppression, not mitigation

  1. Top | #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    I, for one, am sorry Half-life lives in such a glass house. And his attitude towards the poor is pretty unequivocal.
    I do not hate the poor. I understand that people have to do the menial jobs. But, it's the uneducated and lazy who do those jobs. As it's been pointed out many ties, if you are 40 years old still working the cash register at a fast food place, then it's obvious you don't have many life skills and/or aren't the most intelligent person in the world. People who are educated and motivated do not work those jobs. They have better jobs. No one says, "I have a major in mechanical engineering. I guess I'll go work the register at McDonald's instead." Obviously, this happens some times because the job market is bad, but eventually the person would leave and be in his qualified position. They are outliers.

    For the most part, if you walk into a fast food place and see a 40 year old ringing you up with a depressed frown on his face, you know he's not very smart or educated. He knows it, too. But, I do not hate them. I feel sorry for them that they have to work such crappy jobs with customers who always yell at them. But at the same time, they put themselves in that position.

    Everyone sees the 40 year old working a cash register and thinks to themselves, "What went wrong in this guy's life?" It's a natural bias. Anyone who says they never think that is lying.

    I once saw a customer berate a stocker at Walmart because he was trying to fit the items on the shelf and couldn't do it. The customer went up to them and said, "Here, turn it at an angle so they can all fit." The customer then stocked the stuff for the employee and said, "I guess that's why you stock shelves for a living. You're not very bright."

    Was that justified to say? No. But, I understand where it was coming from.

  2. Top | #52
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,636
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    64
    Cool story, bro.

  3. Top | #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Cool story, bro.
    The alternative to my facts is that when you see a 40 year old cashier you say to yourself, "This guy seems like a real go-getter!"

    Is that what you think when you see one?

    I also think, "This guy isn't even smart enough to be a truck driver?" Truck drivers are pay a good living and you need no qualifications to work that job, either. I usually think, "This guy can't even be a truck driver or a public transit driver???"

    The human mind is a fascinating thing to dive into.

  4. Top | #54
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,636
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Cool story, bro.
    The alternative to my facts
    Umm...you didn't provide any.

    is that when you see a 40 year old cashier you say to yourself, "This guy seems like a real go-getter!"
    Nope. I generally think "second job", because the 15 years I spent in retail confirms that assumption more often than not. I've lost count the amount of times I've been in charge of people who have a better tertiary education than me or were significantly more qualified in a trade than I would ever be.

    I also think,
    I'm gonna stop you right there. Just...rephrase that. Please.
    "This guy isn't even smart enough to be a truck driver?" Truck drivers are pay a good living and you need no qualifications to work that job, either. I usually think, "This guy can't even be a truck driver or a public transit driver???"
    Is this another one of your "facts"? I'm now going to teach you something for free. Facts normally aren't prefaced with "I think" or "I believe" or "What if" or "Let's say". You're welcome.
    The human mind is a fascinating thing to dive into.
    Your arguments are proof the human mind is a devout follower of Sturgeon's Law.

    Finally, none of this disproves that fact you believe poor people just sit around getting drunk or smoking weed all day.

  5. Top | #55
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,906
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    69,379
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

    We all know the Dems wouldn't do anything for the people. They only virtue signal about helping the poor.
    Who are, apparently, not people.
    Why did you write that? Are you deliberately misrepresenting him because you're trying to get your readers to think that's what he meant, or are you deliberately misrepresenting him because it's fun to be a troll even though you expect your readers not to be taken in by your misrepresentation, or are you unintentionally misrepresenting him because you're semiliterate?
    Is it possible to misrepresent a Half-Life post and make it appear worse?

  6. Top | #56
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    22,619
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    33,096
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Cool story, bro.
    The alternative to my facts is that when you see a 40 year old cashier you say to yourself, "This guy seems like a real go-getter!"

    Is that what you think when you see one?

    I also think, "This guy isn't even smart enough to be a truck driver?" Truck drivers are pay a good living and you need no qualifications to work that job, either. I usually think, "This guy can't even be a truck driver or a public transit driver???"

    The human mind is a fascinating thing to dive into.
    You go get a heavy vehicle drivers license, and then come back and tell us all how you need no qualifications to work that job.

    Operating a vehicle with an eighteen speed constant mesh transmission is a skill that not everyone can master.


  7. Top | #57
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    13,194
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    13,901
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Operating a vehicle with an eighteen speed constant mesh transmission is a skill that not everyone can master.
    Yabut ignorant squawking about it takes no skill whatsoever. Lucky for us, we have someone here with exactly that.

    In the case of the poster addressed herein... all of it, I'm sure.

  8. Top | #58
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    13,194
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    13,901
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    The human mind is a fascinating thing to dive into.
    Yeah - whatthehell drives people to say shit like:

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    This quarantine will work. I guarantee it. April 12 we will be up and running.
    The cases are going to start declining in the U.S. starting around the next few days.
    By April 1, we will see a steady downstream and be on our way out.
    Well, April is day after tomorrow... is this what you're seeing? Or are you laughing too hard?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •