Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Dan Patrick the Biggest Asshole in Texas?

1. Top | #1
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

Is Dan Patrick the Biggest Asshole in Texas?

Dan Patrick says he is willing to risk his own life to allow economy to resume

I was thinking at first maybe this was an article in The Onion.

"My heart is lifted tonight by what I heard the president say, because we can do more than one thing at a time. We can do two things," Patrick said. "So, my message is that, let's get back to work. Let's get back to living, let's be smart about it, and those of us who are 70-plus, we'll take care of ourselves. But don't sacrifice the country."

Near the end of the interview, Carlson queried, “so you’re basically saying that this disease could take your life, but that’s not the scariest thing to you — there’s something that would be worse than dying.”

Patrick responded: “Yeah, and look, I’m going to do everything I can to live. But if you said, ‘Are you willing to take a chance’ — you know and if I get sick, I’ll go and try to get better. But if I don’t, I don’t.”
    What does this douchebag mean when he says he's willing to take a chance? If he wants to refuse all medical intervention than he should just shoot himself in the head and save us any trouble down the road. Be a man, right?

But I guess he means that if he gets sick he wants everyone to do everything they can - like when he had his stent - to save his life. But isn't that a lot of trouble? Why doesn't he just jump off a bridge right now?

I don't understand how someone can be so clueless.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That is epic assholery, but by no means the biggest asshole Texas ever produced.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    That is epic assholery, but by no means the biggest asshole Texas ever produced.
    Most reckless asshole then. Trump and Patrick are painting a tapestry that going outside and to stores is "pro-America!"

We already know that MAGA hat wearing political idiots will swallow anything and everything Trump sells. Sadly, this isn't 'lemmings jumping to their doom' only hurting themselves potential.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The rich will get the treatment no matter when they get sick. The upper middle class thinks it can, because they have insurance and believe it will help when the system is overburdened. The poor will just die in droves but nobody cares about their opinion and the economy will be better off without them anyway. There is a sort of a cold calculation in that Trump and his cronies would never be harmed by the disease even if it killed millions.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Dan Patrick says he is willing to risk his own life to allow economy to resume

I was thinking at first maybe this was an article in The Onion.

"My heart is lifted tonight by what I heard the president say, because we can do more than one thing at a time. We can do two things," Patrick said. "So, my message is that, let's get back to work. Let's get back to living, let's be smart about it, and those of us who are 70-plus, we'll take care of ourselves. But don't sacrifice the country."

Near the end of the interview, Carlson queried, “so you’re basically saying that this disease could take your life, but that’s not the scariest thing to you — there’s something that would be worse than dying.”

Patrick responded: “Yeah, and look, I’m going to do everything I can to live. But if you said, ‘Are you willing to take a chance’ — you know and if I get sick, I’ll go and try to get better. But if I don’t, I don’t.”
    What does this douchebag mean when he says he's willing to take a chance? If he wants to refuse all medical intervention than he should just shoot himself in the head and save us any trouble down the road. Be a man, right?

But I guess he means that if he gets sick he wants everyone to do everything they can - like when he had his stent - to save his life. But isn't that a lot of trouble? Why doesn't he just jump off a bridge right now?

I think it's the grown up, erudite version of "Waaah! I wanna go outside, Mommy!"
    As they say down under, he can't be arsed with this lib'rul distancing crap.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Most reckless asshole then. Trump and Patrick are painting a tapestry that going outside and to stores is "pro-America!"

We already know that MAGA hat wearing political idiots will swallow anything and everything Trump sells. Sadly, this isn't 'lemmings jumping to their doom' only hurting themselves potential.
    All evidence suggests this is true. Apparently a man is dead after ingesting a chemical used to treat a fish fungus in aquariums. The name contained the syllable "quine" which was close enough to what the President said was a promising treatment.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    to be completely fair...
    1. being a capitalist country, society and culture and civilization itself as we know it in the US is tied to its economy - there is nothing in place to sustain human civilization outside of the resource allocation provided for by a stable economy.
    2. the US economy is like a shark - it has to constantly move or else it drowns. it lacks the structures necessary to allow it to be stationary.

with 1 and 2 both being true that means in a situation such as this you basically have two options:
    1. hunker down and isolate to prevent the spread, which will almost instantly begin to slowly collapse the economy before potentially imploding it entirely.
    2. risk higher rates of infection in order to keep the status quo of functioning society.

we're already seeing basic social structures start to buckle and it's only been 2 weeks.
    lack of available products in stores, estimates are saying 9-13% of all working americans have lost their job in the last week, businesses are folding left and right, entire sectors of the economy are simply vanishing and may never recover.

so, you have a binary choice here: more sick people (and thus more dead people) or more homeless people. you can have one or the other. you can't have neither.
    i'm obscenely liberal, but i consider quality of life to be a significant factor. is 10,000 new dead people worth 200,000 new homeless people? (or whatever ratio, obviously it depends on how this all shakes out and we won't know that for months, and even then it will be hypothetical).
    if your knee-jerk answer to that is yes i suppose i get it, i understand that "life at any cost regardless of the circumstances" is a very popular take especially among the particularly self-righteous, but i for one think there's a valid philosophical consideration to be had there.

8. Top | #8
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

All evidence suggests this is true. Apparently a man is dead after ingesting a chemical used to treat a fish fungus in aquariums. The name contained the syllable "quine" which was close enough to what the President said was a promising treatment.
    I think it was the "right" drug. However, it has failed against every other virus it's been tried against--the doses that are tolerable are too low to have an appreciable impact on the disease. It's likely going to turn out to be the same this time around.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think that
    A) he doesn’t thin he’ll get sick
    B). If he gets sick he’ll survive with no long lasting ill effects
    C) If he dies, so what? Nothing more he can do.

He is incapable, either through lack of intellectual capacity or lack of moral courage, to consider how his actions and inactions can and do have far reaching effects. Probably he has no one he truly loves, including himself, so he is unable or, through lack of moral courage, unwilling to consider that he may be jeapordizing the lives and welfare of many who actually give a fuck about whether they and those they love get ill and and if they survive.

So he’s a waste of oxygen.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, yes he is the biggest asshole in Texas ...

Today.

They update the standings every day at noon Central Time