Page 142 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1505

Thread: The World-O-Meter Thread

1. Top | #1411
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    More than 75,000 new US cases yesterday, and looking like we'll be right there again today.
    Putin and right are winning their fight to keep COVID alive. The Republic of DeSantis is leading the way with more than 16 thousand new cases yesterday... almost as if they think that the more Americans are sick and dying, the worse it makes Biden look.
    Given how the truth of 1/6 is overcoming their obfuscation and denial efforts, I can hardly blame them for seeking distractions.
    Now with so many vaccinated you can stop looking at new case numbers. It's not really relevant any longer. Those vaccinated can get it and spread it. But it's not a problem for them. Better to look at mortality rates. Those are through the floor.
    Use your brain. Most cases among the vaxed are never reported. The reported numbers reflect the unvaccinated.

Deaths are INCREASING - over 25% since the “floor” on July 8. And it’s a lagging indicator, so is likely to go up.
    More important right now, new cases are a real-time indicator of the size of the viral reservoir, and therefore the likelihood of new variants appearing.

2. Top | #1412
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    ... new cases are a real-time indicator of the size of the viral reservoir, and therefore the likelihood of new variants appearing.
    More germane to the above, the global rate of new infections is up more than 55% since June 21, now around 560,000/day.

3. Top | #1413
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Once again, the role politics plays is very clear:

And note that of the two highest blue states both are special cases.

Here in Nevada we have an awful lot of visitors who are poor at risk evaluation. (If they were good at risk evaluation they wouldn't be gambling in the first place.)

The next "blue" state is Georgia--not very blue. And the next is Arizona, still not very blue.

4. Top | #1414
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Florida exceeds its alleged max during the pandemic. The good news, with vaccinated getting infected as well, the surge should end shortly as most people in the state that haven't gotten infected will shortly get infected. Won't need masks in schools, all the kids will have had Covid-19. Now that​ is leadership!

5. Top | #1415
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Great news! Florida's numbers are levelling off. In general, except for that spike above 20,000, they have been about 17,000 new cases for a few days. This is great.

I mean, the positive tests number is 20+% and the number of those being hospitalized continues to increase. But Florida has put a lid on the number of positive cases coming back. So that is great news!

6. Top | #1416
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Great news! Florida's numbers are levelling off. In general, except for that spike above 20,000, they have been about 17,000 new cases for a few days. This is great.
    Yeah, about that, looks like Frlorida is committing a crime against statistics by distributing numbers so that spread appears to be lower.
    last 4 weeks have suspiciously repetitive pattern (besides normal drop during weekend).

Russian numbers have the same thing for number of dead where they are clearly distributing numbers so that total number does not spike above 799, previous limit was 399 Why do that?

7. Top | #1417
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Florida has been loose with the numbers for a while, pretty committing every unethical act they can think of to shelter the true toll of their political ambition. Deaths in Florida from Covid-19 are well under reported.

Right now, they are reporting publicly every Friday now (this can lead to the numbers looking similar as they might be averaged out), which helps hide numbers, but the CDC has been publishing data. Florida is now over 12,000 hospitalizations. How bad are things in Florida? Well, half of the state is vaccinated and the state keeps setting records for hospitalizations.

The US, according to Worldometer, had 112,000 cases yesterday. More disturbingly, the new daily cases are rising in every state. We have no idea how many vax'd positives there are.

The US really needs to make a decision right now, everyone gets Covid-19 or we need to enact masking protocol nationally (or the the Government supplies N95s to Americans that give a fuck about not getting Covid).

8. Top | #1418
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Does anyone know the mortality rate of the delta variant?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #1419
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    I may still be too early to tell. I'll see if I can find the link, but I saw an article (NPR maybe?) that said the mortality rate is approximately the same, but it's roughly 2-5x more contagious.

Which is sorta what you'd expect to happen when you let evolution have that much opportunity.

10. Top | #1420
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    I may still be too early to tell. I'll see if I can find the link, but I saw an article (NPR maybe?) that said the mortality rate is approximately the same, but it's roughly 2-5x more contagious.

Which is sorta what you'd expect to happen when you let evolution have that much opportunity.
    Not good enough. We need to keep cultivating it until we get it to 80-90% lethality.