Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pandemic And Religious Beliefs

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    I don't see it having any appreciable effect, other than reducing congregations which are weighted toward those 65 and over.

There are a few ministers scattered across the county who were happy to parrot the party line, back when Trump was telling his supporters that Covid19 was just a bad cold, and kept holding services. It will be interesting to see how that works out for them, especially if any deaths or illness is connected to church attendance.
    In the majority of the first world, almost all regular christian church attendees are over 65, and a large majority over 80.

Only the USA bucks this trend.

In the non-US first world, this pandemic may well mark the final end of weekly christian church services; Already it's widely unsustainable to have churches open on Sundays away from Easter and Christmas.
    I don't believe that's going to happen, but there maybe some of the churches which find themselves in financial trouble because their minister pushed back against Covid19 precautions. Church members who see this as endangering the congregation for political motivations, will find another church to attend.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I live in the heart of the Bible Belt and I don't think the pandemic will have a negative impact on religion here. I think it will make the nuttiest Christians even nuttier. They will claim that the pandemic is a sign of the end times or a punishment for behaviors that they don't like or a test of their faith from god.

The more moderate and mild Christians will be happy to return to their church groups. This type of southern Christians are known more for doing charitable works than for trying to convert others to their beliefs. They more or less assume that most of the locals are Christians.

WE don't have any other organized religious groups in the part of Georgia where I live, but I do know some people who have paganish woo beliefs and I doubt this will change their beliefs.

There are likely to be a very small number of believers who will suddenly begin to question their beliefs and some will eventually become agnostics, atheists or apatheists. For example a former neighbor of mine lost his young son to an infection and he suddenly lost his belief in god. Prior to that, he was a very conservative Christian. This doesn't happen very often.

Where I live, Christianity is deeply ingrained in the culture so I really don't see that changing anytime soon. And quite frankly, unless our country expands benefits to those who suffer in poverty, I can't imagine the benefit of ending Christianity here. Christians here, are often the primary organizers of charity, including food banks, free clinics etc. There are too many people who depend on these Christian organizations to provide them with the basics, especially during times like these.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wonder how many of these pastors are going to get sued when coronavirus decimates their parishioners, and they figure out that god didn't protect them?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I Corinthians 6: When you have a grievance against your Christian brother, do you dare to go to law before the unrighteous, instead of your brethren? Do you not understand that we saints shall judge the world? And if you can judge the world, can you not also judge trivial matters between yourselves? Do you not know that we shall even judge the angels? How much more shall we judge the matters of this mortal world! So, if you have such grievances, why do you take them to those who have won no respect from your brethren? I say, this would be shameful!
    A message from doublechristianlegalzoom/bible@hellsawaiting

5. Top | #15
    Standing in my living room, yelling at the television.
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That virus is going to persecute the fuck out of them.
    Is it stuffy in here, or is it just me?

6. Top | #16
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    I don't see it having any appreciable effect, other than reducing congregations which are weighted toward those 65 and over.

There are a few ministers scattered across the county who were happy to parrot the party line, back when Trump was telling his supporters that Covid19 was just a bad cold, and kept holding services. It will be interesting to see how that works out for them, especially if any deaths or illness is connected to church attendance.
    In the majority of the first world, almost all regular christian church attendees are over 65, and a large majority over 80.

Only the USA bucks this trend.

In the non-US first world, this pandemic may well mark the final end of weekly christian church services; Already it's widely unsustainable to have churches open on Sundays away from Easter and Christmas.
    We have several church buildings up for sale here in our little city, one still operating with the for sale sign up. The catholic churches are consolidating here too. I've a feeling without personal attendance, donations are are going to drop precipitously and there will be more going under.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Could be. But some small local churches have a built-in rainy day fund, in the form of (untaxed) endowments, partly in the form of bequests from now-deceased widows, etc. Those Red Hat ladies sometimes have a bunch of dollars to bestow when they kick off. This was told to me by a Lutheran minister I've known for years.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It looks like the toxic Christian brigade is out in full force, shrieking and howling about the states shutting down large religious gatherings. And howling their defiance. in some states, the idiot governors are paying attention and exempting churches from stay at home efforts. Swarms of stupid preachers are howling that God and Jesus are going to protect church goers from the virus. Of course we will soon be seeing a massive surge thanks to all this toxic Christian stupidity.

I here by name covid-19, the "Church Virus".
    Cheerful Charlie

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

I here by name covid-19, the "Church Virus".
    The "China virus" is a more accurate name. Even has the same first letter.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some are seeing it as a sign of the end times, the beginning of the tribulation with the Rapture imminent.