Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 257

Thread: The God Zoo

  1. Top | #191
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,994
    Rep Power
    19
    If God's intervention results in fewer people getting raped or murdered then yes, the end DOES justify the means. And there is no logical inference that said intervention means God likes rape and murder.

  2. Top | #192
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,876
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    27,782
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    If God's intervention results in fewer people getting raped or murdered then yes, the end DOES justify the means. And there is no logical inference that said intervention means God likes rape and murder.
    Why an intervention where fewer people get raped or killed rather than none? If you are already intervening and it's within your power to prevent or stop, why allow even one person to be raped or killed?

  3. Top | #193
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,086
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,125
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    I really don't get what it is that you're arguing here.
    1. That God thinks rape is bad. (You asserted that God must think it's good.)
    I think rape is bad so I must be god.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    2. That you cant demand God stop every rape and simultaneously expect Him to allow abortion on demand. (Moral hypocrisy)
    I'd like to stop every rape so I must be better than a god. But I don't think it's good to allow rape simply because I can't get my way with abortion. Gods must be immoral.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    3. That God's intervention in biblical wars was done to hasten the end of that war. (End justifies the means.)
    Again, I must be a god because that's what I would do. Of course if I was a god I'd prevent the war in the first place. Not too hard if I'm a god.

    So this god stuff isn't really that complicated. Why are gods so stupid and impotent?

  4. Top | #194
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,994
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    If God's intervention results in fewer people getting raped or murdered then yes, the end DOES justify the means. And there is no logical inference that said intervention means God likes rape and murder.
    Why an intervention where fewer people get raped or killed rather than none? If you are already intervening and it's within your power to prevent or stop, why allow even one person to be raped or killed?
    We already covered this.
    Yes, God can stop us doing anything.

    But you don't want God to stop you from doing whatever you want.

    And you want God to turn a blind eye to abortion, and adultery and blasphemy and sodomy and greed - but only when it suits you.

    When Barack Obama acts to "utterly destroy" the Canaanites ISIS/Alqaeda, thats OK. But it's not OK for God to hasten the end of a war with extreme prejudice.

  5. Top | #195
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,876
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    27,782
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    If God's intervention results in fewer people getting raped or murdered then yes, the end DOES justify the means. And there is no logical inference that said intervention means God likes rape and murder.
    Why an intervention where fewer people get raped or killed rather than none? If you are already intervening and it's within your power to prevent or stop, why allow even one person to be raped or killed?
    We already covered this.
    Yes, God can stop us doing anything.

    But you don't want God to stop you from doing whatever you want.

    And you want God to turn a blind eye to abortion, and adultery and blasphemy and sodomy and greed - but only when it suits you.

    When Barack Obama acts to "utterly destroy" the Canaanites ISIS/Alqaeda, thats OK. But it's not OK for God to hasten the end of a war with extreme prejudice.
    But you, yourself said that God intervenes in human affairs, so it's only matter of degree of intervention. Why intervene here, but not there? Why prevent one rape but let another happen?

  6. Top | #196
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,236
    Archived
    20,351
    Total Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    When Barack Obama acts to "utterly destroy" the Canaanites ISIS/Alqaeda, thats OK. But it's not OK for God to hasten the end of a war with extreme prejudice.
    You must be pretty unfamiliar with anti-war progressives. Not every "liberal" likes Obama. Shows how limited your understanding of the world is I suppose.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

  7. Top | #197
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,876
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    27,782
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    We already covered this.
    Yes, God can stop us doing anything.

    But you don't want God to stop you from doing whatever you want.

    And you want God to turn a blind eye to abortion, and adultery and blasphemy and sodomy and greed - but only when it suits you.

    When Barack Obama acts to "utterly destroy" the Canaanites ISIS/Alqaeda, thats OK. But it's not OK for God to hasten the end of a war with extreme prejudice.
    But you, yourself said that God intervenes in human affairs, so it's only matter of degree of intervention. Why intervene here, but not there? Why prevent one rape but let another happen?
    Barak Obama did not set out to target women, children or livestock, only combatants.

  8. Top | #198
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,236
    Archived
    20,351
    Total Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    We already covered this.
    Yes, God can stop us doing anything.

    But you don't want God to stop you from doing whatever you want.

    And you want God to turn a blind eye to abortion, and adultery and blasphemy and sodomy and greed - but only when it suits you.

    When Barack Obama acts to "utterly destroy" the Canaanites ISIS/Alqaeda, thats OK. But it's not OK for God to hasten the end of a war with extreme prejudice.
    But you, yourself said that God intervenes in human affairs, so it's only matter of degree of intervention. Why intervene here, but not there? Why prevent one rape but let another happen?
    Barak Obama did not set out to target women, children or livestock, only combatants.
    IMO you're using the same excuses theists use to justify war crimes.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

  9. Top | #199
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,876
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    27,782
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    Barak Obama did not set out to target women, children or livestock, only combatants.
    IMO you're using the same excuses theists use to justify war crimes.

    Not really. I was focusing on the point that he had raised; ''Barack Obama acts to "utterly destroy ISIS/Alqaeda" - which doesn't mean killing the whole population. Nor does it mean that war is necessarily justified. Plus it's a completely different issue in relation to a God, who would not have human limitations.

  10. Top | #200
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    344
    Archived
    2,449
    Total Posts
    2,793
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    With God on your side who can stand against you (the Israelites)? Those the Israelites fought would always be God's enemies in the future with their ways. It stopped there.
    Never mind the innocent women, children and animals....but keep the virgins for yourselves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    There's no endorsing rape- the clue is in the Virgins bit., and the understanding they had about fonication against the law and death is punishment for rape, however... having virgins IF taking for wives and not servants is not against the law.
    Do you believe that the virgins willingly gave themselves to the killers of their family? '

    'So kill all the boys and all the women who have had intercourse with a man. 18 Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.'' - Numbers 31
    That was because God had determined on a Final Solution to the Canaanite Problem.

    Eldarion Lathria

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •