Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game: Brutal Bible Blood Baths

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Game: Brutal Bible Blood Baths

For an introductory university subject I'm working on a "serious game" prototype... (usually people are making board games for this)

Player experience goal: The player will feel shocked and overwhelmed

Serious purpose: to learn about some of the most shocking passages in the Old Testament

Target audience: open-minded people who want to learn about controversial parts in the Bible

It's got five levels:

2 Kings 2:23-24
    Two bears and 42 youths
    The prophet Elisha cursed
    the youths for teasing him.
    Make the bears maul 42 of them.

Judges 15:15-16
    Samson vs 1000 men
    With a donkey's jawbone,
    kill 1000 men

1 Kings 3:4
    King Solomon's Sacrifice #1
    Kill 1000 animals

1 Kings 8:63 / 2 Chr 7:5
    King Solomon's Sacrifice #2
    Kill 144,000 animals

Deuteronomy 20:16-17
    Invading the promised land
    Kill everything that breathes
    so they don't lead you astray

The original prototype didn't have any hurt sounds or dead bodies... but then a Christian play-tester said that he didn't find the game shocking at all - so I decided to include a lot of blood, gore, and screaming....

In the final game it might start with the kid friendly version then have this:

Were the stories shocking?​

a) Not at all

b) Yes

If you choose (b) the confirm screen exits

If you choose (a)

Why not?

a) God is a holy God
    a) God is perfectly just and holy
    a) ????

b) I'm a small child or psychopath.

if you choose (a) then the brutal mode begins
    Let me know if there are better Christian "why not?" responses.

If you would like to play-test and don't mind pointing out lots of problems, could you answer these questions?

Could you elaborate as much as possible about how you feel during the game... i.e. emotions...

Also:
    How long did the play testing last?
    Was the game shocking? (explain)
    Was the game overwhelming? (explain)
    Was the game fun? (explain)
    Any other comments?

Also about the 5 levels - bears, Samson, animals #1, animals #2, promised land.

To play the game:
    https://scratch.mit.edu/download

https://brutal-bible.s3.us-east-2.am...ototype17d.zip

To unlock the brutal game mode you need to

hold B and R

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    An idea for the screen that shows when you finish all of the levels:

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Don't forget the better Christain responses like 'you're taking it out of context.' Or 'that's not in the Bible.'

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Game isn't fair unless you're fluent in Hebrew and read the originals.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Could be vunerable to hacks... making it properly Christian by inserting Jesus in the gaming code e.g. with "Justs stick to the two greatest commandments... it's easier blah blah blah".

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Could be vunerable to hacks... making it properly Christian by inserting Jesus in the gaming code e.g. with "Justs stick to the two greatest commandments... it's easier blah blah blah".
    A fame about just how fucking bloody the Skybeast is, according to his own The Books, will be made 'properly' Christain by hiding Jesus in the code to deter hackers...?

7. Top | #7
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Are you suggesting that the bible is made more accurately Christian by tearing parts of it out that are not Christ-like?
    Like, Revelation?
    (or, like Paul? Or, like most of it?)

To the topic...

Serious purpose: to learn about some of the most shocking passages in the Old Testament
    In order to embrace them, or to reject them?

Interestingly, I feel that it could be embraced by some players, feeling a justification in behaving as the bible does. We've certainly seen that in the last 6 thousand years, right?

I personally feel that this is a very interesting exercise, because it shows how incredibly NOT Christian the old testament is, yet not one Christian that I have ever met is willing to tear out and discard the old testament. They all appear to feel that it MUST be true in order for the new testament to be true. I guess, like, Jesus MUST be a devout Jew in order to be worth listening to. Maybe it's because Jesus quotes the old testament and he can't be wrong, I dunno.

I think your game has an interesting premise - to really REALLY explore parts of the old testament that don't get a lot of discussion because they are truly monstrous. And how do we feel about that?

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    A fame about just how fucking bloody the Skybeast is, according to his own The Books, will be made 'properly' Christain by hiding Jesus in the code to deter hackers...?
    Good point. This little discussions are great for ironing out little probs with suggestions for the game.

I suppose it doesn't have to be hidden in code, hackers can hi-jack the game and change things add new characters...but IF that becomes popular than the original game then well... Besides it wouldn't be properly Christian without some element from the NT.

Currently it could be mistaken to be soley for Jews?

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Are you suggesting that the bible is made more accurately Christian by tearing parts of it out that are not Christ-like?
    Like, Revelation?
    (or, like Paul? Or, like most of it?)

To the topic...

In order to embrace them, or to reject them?

Interestingly, I feel that it could be embraced by some players, feeling a justification in behaving as the bible does. We've certainly seen that in the last 6 thousand years, right?

I personally feel that this is a very interesting exercise, because it shows how incredibly NOT Christian the old testament is, yet not one Christian that I have ever met is willing to tear out and discard the old testament. They all appear to feel that it MUST be true in order for the new testament to be true. I guess, like, Jesus MUST be a devout Jew in order to be worth listening to. Maybe it's because Jesus quotes the old testament and he can't be wrong, I dunno.

I think your game has an interesting premise - to really REALLY explore parts of the old testament that don't get a lot of discussion because they are truly monstrous. And how do we feel about that?

It's only a game, open to suggestions in a not so serious way - just 'responding in 'like-wise manner' ... just an element from the NT would be nice. We don't always need to argue on everything single thing.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Don't forget the better Christian responses like 'you're taking it out of context.' Or 'that's not in the Bible.'
    Well I posted the details of this game on a popular Christian message board and they didn't make a good case for that. The only relevant criticisms was that the youth could be 12-30 (even though the KJV says "little children") and that mauling 42 youths couldn't be described as a "massacre". (the original name of the game was "Epic Bible Massacres"). I said that if 30% of the youths died from loss of blood then that's 13 deaths and the 13 deaths in Columbine was described as a massacre. As far as the ages go, I used an adult image and screams for the "youths".
    The main problem I have with some Christians is that they didn't think it was shocking.... hopefully the gore and screams will change that.