Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Game: Brutal Bible Blood Baths

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,206
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,092
    Rep Power
    78

    Game: Brutal Bible Blood Baths

    For an introductory university subject I'm working on a "serious game" prototype... (usually people are making board games for this)

    Player experience goal: The player will feel shocked and overwhelmed

    Serious purpose: to learn about some of the most shocking passages in the Old Testament

    Target audience: open-minded people who want to learn about controversial parts in the Bible

    It's got five levels:

    2 Kings 2:23-24
    Two bears and 42 youths
    The prophet Elisha cursed
    the youths for teasing him.
    Make the bears maul 42 of them.

    Judges 15:15-16
    Samson vs 1000 men
    With a donkey's jawbone,
    kill 1000 men

    1 Kings 3:4
    King Solomon's Sacrifice #1
    Kill 1000 animals

    1 Kings 8:63 / 2 Chr 7:5
    King Solomon's Sacrifice #2
    Kill 144,000 animals

    Deuteronomy 20:16-17
    Invading the promised land
    Kill everything that breathes
    so they don't lead you astray

    The original prototype didn't have any hurt sounds or dead bodies... but then a Christian play-tester said that he didn't find the game shocking at all - so I decided to include a lot of blood, gore, and screaming....

    In the final game it might start with the kid friendly version then have this:

    Were the stories shocking?​

    a) Not at all

    b) Yes

    If you choose (b) the confirm screen exits

    If you choose (a)

    Why not?

    a) God is a holy God
    a) God is perfectly just and holy
    a) ????

    b) I'm a small child or psychopath.

    if you choose (a) then the brutal mode begins
    Let me know if there are better Christian "why not?" responses.

    If you would like to play-test and don't mind pointing out lots of problems, could you answer these questions?

    Could you elaborate as much as possible about how you feel during the game... i.e. emotions...

    Also:
    How long did the play testing last?
    Was the game shocking? (explain)
    Was the game overwhelming? (explain)
    Was the game fun? (explain)
    Any other comments?

    Also about the 5 levels - bears, Samson, animals #1, animals #2, promised land.

    To play the game:
    https://scratch.mit.edu/download

    https://brutal-bible.s3.us-east-2.am...ototype17d.zip

    To unlock the brutal game mode you need to

    hold B and R


  2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,206
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,092
    Rep Power
    78
    An idea for the screen that shows when you finish all of the levels:


  3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,534
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,034
    Rep Power
    90
    Don't forget the better Christain responses like 'you're taking it out of context.' Or 'that's not in the Bible.'

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,304
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    4,895
    Rep Power
    71
    Game isn't fair unless you're fluent in Hebrew and read the originals.

  5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,789
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    29
    Could be vunerable to hacks... making it properly Christian by inserting Jesus in the gaming code e.g. with "Justs stick to the two greatest commandments... it's easier blah blah blah".

  6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,534
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,034
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Could be vunerable to hacks... making it properly Christian by inserting Jesus in the gaming code e.g. with "Justs stick to the two greatest commandments... it's easier blah blah blah".
    A fame about just how fucking bloody the Skybeast is, according to his own The Books, will be made 'properly' Christain by hiding Jesus in the code to deter hackers...?

  7. Top | #7
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    11,635
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    20,675
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Could be vunerable to hacks... making it properly Christian by inserting Jesus in the gaming code e.g. with "Justs stick to the two greatest commandments... it's easier blah blah blah".
    Are you suggesting that the bible is made more accurately Christian by tearing parts of it out that are not Christ-like?
    Like, Revelation?
    (or, like Paul? Or, like most of it?)



    To the topic...

    Player experience goal: The player will feel shocked and overwhelmed

    Serious purpose: to learn about some of the most shocking passages in the Old Testament
    In order to embrace them, or to reject them?

    Interestingly, I feel that it could be embraced by some players, feeling a justification in behaving as the bible does. We've certainly seen that in the last 6 thousand years, right?

    I personally feel that this is a very interesting exercise, because it shows how incredibly NOT Christian the old testament is, yet not one Christian that I have ever met is willing to tear out and discard the old testament. They all appear to feel that it MUST be true in order for the new testament to be true. I guess, like, Jesus MUST be a devout Jew in order to be worth listening to. Maybe it's because Jesus quotes the old testament and he can't be wrong, I dunno.


    I think your game has an interesting premise - to really REALLY explore parts of the old testament that don't get a lot of discussion because they are truly monstrous. And how do we feel about that?

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,789
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    A fame about just how fucking bloody the Skybeast is, according to his own The Books, will be made 'properly' Christain by hiding Jesus in the code to deter hackers...?
    Good point. This little discussions are great for ironing out little probs with suggestions for the game.

    I suppose it doesn't have to be hidden in code, hackers can hi-jack the game and change things add new characters...but IF that becomes popular than the original game then well... Besides it wouldn't be properly Christian without some element from the NT.

    Currently it could be mistaken to be soley for Jews?

  9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,789
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Are you suggesting that the bible is made more accurately Christian by tearing parts of it out that are not Christ-like?
    Like, Revelation?
    (or, like Paul? Or, like most of it?)

    To the topic...

    Player experience goal: The player will feel shocked and overwhelmed

    Serious purpose: to learn about some of the most shocking passages in the Old Testament
    In order to embrace them, or to reject them?

    Interestingly, I feel that it could be embraced by some players, feeling a justification in behaving as the bible does. We've certainly seen that in the last 6 thousand years, right?

    I personally feel that this is a very interesting exercise, because it shows how incredibly NOT Christian the old testament is, yet not one Christian that I have ever met is willing to tear out and discard the old testament. They all appear to feel that it MUST be true in order for the new testament to be true. I guess, like, Jesus MUST be a devout Jew in order to be worth listening to. Maybe it's because Jesus quotes the old testament and he can't be wrong, I dunno.


    I think your game has an interesting premise - to really REALLY explore parts of the old testament that don't get a lot of discussion because they are truly monstrous. And how do we feel about that?


    It's only a game, open to suggestions in a not so serious way - just 'responding in 'like-wise manner' ... just an element from the NT would be nice. We don't always need to argue on everything single thing.

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,206
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,092
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Don't forget the better Christian responses like 'you're taking it out of context.' Or 'that's not in the Bible.'
    Well I posted the details of this game on a popular Christian message board and they didn't make a good case for that. The only relevant criticisms was that the youth could be 12-30 (even though the KJV says "little children") and that mauling 42 youths couldn't be described as a "massacre". (the original name of the game was "Epic Bible Massacres"). I said that if 30% of the youths died from loss of blood then that's 13 deaths and the 13 deaths in Columbine was described as a massacre. As far as the ages go, I used an adult image and screams for the "youths".
    The main problem I have with some Christians is that they didn't think it was shocking.... hopefully the gore and screams will change that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •