Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Young black woman gunned down in her own home by police. No charges made against police.

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Young black woman gunned down in her own home by police. No charges made against police.

Here we go again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...her-apartment/

Breonna Taylor was working as an EMT in Louisville when the coronavirus pandemic hit the country, helping to save lives while trying to protect her own.
    On March 13, the 26-year-old aspiring nurse was killed in her apartment, shot at least eight times by Louisville police officers who officials have said were executing a drug warrant, according to a lawsuit filed by the family, accusing officers of wrongful death, excessive force and gross negligence.
    “Not one person has talked to me. Not one person has explained anything to me,” Tamika Palmer, Taylor’s mother, said in an interview. “I want justice for her. I want them to say her name. There’s no reason Breonna should be dead at all.”
    According to the lawsuit, filed April 27, Louisville police executed a search warrant at Taylor’s home, looking for a man who did not live in Taylor’s apartment complex and had already been detained when officers came to Taylor’s apartment after midnight. Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, was also in the apartment and, according to the lawsuit, shot at officers when they attempted to enter without announcing themselves. The lawsuit alleges that police fired more than 20 rounds of ammunition into the apartment.
    So, will the usual suspects defend these incompetent, racist police?

Her boyfriend who lives with her, shot at the police, and he was arrested, despite the fact that that police never announced who they were and the young man thought that someone was trying to break into his home. Does Kentucky have a stand your ground law? Even if that's not the case, isn't it usually reasonable, at least in most states in the US, to defend yourself if you think someone is breaking in to harm you? This seems to be another potential miscarriage of justice. The man they were looking for didn't even live in the apartment and had already been detained. Shouldn't such flagrant incompetence be punished, even if the murder hadn't happened?

It appears as if it's often the police who are the real thugs, entering homes unannounced and shooting innocent victims! Yet, they often get away with murder!

None of the officers involved have been charged in connection with the shooting. Walker, a licensed gun owner who was not injured in the incident, was arrested and faces charges of first-degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.
    Sounds to me like the boyfriend was just trying to protect himself and his female partner. I don't think he should have been charged with a crime, as the police never announced themselves, but broke into the home of an innocent person with guns locked and loaded. And the suspect they thought they were after was only being charged with a drug offense. ( This is one reason why I support the decriminalization of all recreational drugs. But, that's not what my thread is about. )

Why are the police such chickenshits that they used 20 rounds to kill a young innocent woman in her own home? This shit needs to be stopped. Police that kill innocent people in their own homes need to face charges.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    WTF? The police
    1) were executing a search warrant for someone who they already had detained, and
    2) did not announce themselves?

If someone bursts into one's home and does not identify themselves as the police, then they ought to be treated in the same manner as any civilian.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, well well. Kentucky does have a stand your ground law, but I guess it doesn't apply to young black men.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...u-should-know/

Is Kentucky a ‘Stand Your Ground’ State?
    Yes. Kentucky is a Castle Doctrine state and has a “stand your ground” law. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat. He or she has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another. Force may also be used to prevent the commission of a felony involving the use of force. Any person who uses a gun in self-defense has immunity from criminal and civil law.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, was also in the apartment and, according to the lawsuit, shot at officers when they attempted to enter without announcing themselves.
    Uh-oh.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No-knock raids are inherently risky. Constitutional but obviously controversial. They are allowed to prevent the destruction of evidence. This is nothing about race. Everything isn't about race.

6. Top | #6
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    No-knock raids are inherently risky. Constitutional but obviously controversial. They are allowed to prevent the destruction of evidence. This is nothing about race. Everything isn't about race.
    In this case, there could be no destruction of evidence since they were seeking a person.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    In this case, there could be no destruction of evidence since they were seeking a person.
    Family of Louisville woman killed by police in her apartment hires lawyer

Police have said the officers were serving a search warrant as part of a narcotics investigation, but no drugs were found at the home.
    Not to say the police didn't screw up here. But this is not a racial issue.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A false tip, fraudulent warrant, no-knock raid — and two innocents dead

According to the indictment, a drug raid that killed a middle-aged couple on Jan. 28 was based on lies from start to finish, which should alarm anyone who thinks the Fourth Amendment protects Americans from unreasonable searches.

The indictment says the no-knock raid at 7815 Harding St. — which found no evidence of drug dealing but set off an exchange of gunfire that killed Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas — was based on a false tip and a fraudulent search warrant affidavit. The Department of Justice says Gerald Goines, a narcotics officer who retired in March after 34 years with the Houston Police Department, invented a heroin purchase by a nonexistent confidential informant.
    The police officers.

Those who were killed in the no-knock raid.

The controversy over no-knock raids has nothing to do with race.

9. Top | #9
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Family of Louisville woman killed by police in her apartment hires lawyer

Police have said the officers were serving a search warrant as part of a narcotics investigation, but no drugs were found at the home.
    Not to say the police didn't screw up here. But this is not a racial issue.
    I thought they were seeking a person that was already in custody. But yeah, if it was for narcotics.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    So, will the usual suspects defend these incompetent, racist police?
    Given that they raided the wrong house, I can give you incompetence, but why "racist"? There is no evidence that the police here were "racist". I guess that's your go-to explanation for everything.