Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe vs. Wade Woman - Paid to Oppose Abortion?

1. Top | #31
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    So she was a liar?
    The important thing was she was paid to lie by the "pro-life" community.
    Obviously. But how many times has someone avoided the main issue with comments/questions like this? When the proper course is to remain silent, they simply lack the self control to do so.

2. Top | #32
    Member *
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    So she was a liar?
    The important thing was she was paid to lie by the "pro-life" community.
    Obviously. But how many times has someone avoided the main issue with comments/questions like this? When the proper course is to remain silent, they simply lack the self control to do so.
    I think it's the readiness to accuse someone of characterizing a person ("they are a liar"), a thing they will not commit to, in an attempt to apply that characterization to invalidate later statements that the basis for the original projected characterization would in fact support.

But in reality, they want something they can leverage so they can keep playing pithy word games.

Telling a lie does not invalidate truth told. But in their mind, everything a godless sinner does is sin.

3. Top | #33
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What, what, what?
    Fake concern for welfare of children?

The multi-million dollar abortion industry makes its living killing babies.
    Reality check: What's the skill set for performing an abortion? About the same as for delivering a baby. What pays more? The baby. Doctors would make more if they didn't perform abortions.

4. Top | #34
    What, what, what?

Reality check: What's the skill set for performing an abortion? About the same as for delivering a baby. What pays more? The baby. Doctors would make more if they didn't perform abortions.
    Its not so much about the law of supply and demand. It's more about how they make their living.

5. Top | #35
    What, what, what?

Its not so much about the law of supply and demand. It's more about how they make their living.
    It is very unfortunate when unwanted pregnancies happen, for whatever reason. People make mistakes or do something stupid are common ones, and always have been and probably always will be.

Ideally, such instances would be minimised, but once it’s happened, for whatever reason, there is a difficult decision to be made. Whether to bring someone into the world, or not.*

Deciding not to do that is one option, and imo a completely valid one that should not be denied, which is all that being pro-choice entails, as a point of view, the not forcing someone to bring a pregnancy to term.

I know you will not see it that way, but then you think there’s a god, and a heaven, and so if life isn’t so brilliant for the person being given it without having asked for it, it'll be alright. But many people don’t believe that. They think it’s a superstition. They just see it that the someone they decide to foist life on is going to have to get through the ups and downs of it and then die at the end, probably via suffering.

Some people, quite reasonably and indeed responsibly imo, decide that not being brought into the world is arguably a good and moral and compassionate option, all things considered, for a pregnancy that was not wanted. Nevertheless, it can be a tough decision, because an unwanted pregnancy is a very unfortunate, regrettable thing and abortions are generally traumatic and sad to at least some extent. By the same token, people can on the whole feel they did the right thing, and even feel relieved, especially if not judged negatively by others.

*ETA: a fertilised egg is not a someone. It’s a potential someone. Unless you have certain superstitious beliefs. You can’t reasonably equate a fertilised egg with a person, or a child.

Finally, beware of judging others when you are not and have not been in their shoes, and also bear in mind that you are not a woman. And unlikely as it may seem to you, many doctors may feel they are doing a good and moral thing by offering the service.

I am not trying to beat you on this. All I am doing is offering a different option to your own. You are not obliged to accept or agree with it, and I don’t expect you to.
    Last edited by ruby sparks; 05-23-2020 at 02:00 AM.

6. Top | #36
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    Tell me about atheists pretending to be priests. How often does this happen? Do they wear a collar and hear confessions?
    All the priests guilty of, forvexample, molesting children must be, in Lion's estimation, atheists. Because no one whonbelieved in God could ever abuse their position that way, certain of eventual punishment.
    Far as i know, he's never explained why they would not expect to confess their sins and be absolved, or why they cannot just rationalize what they are doing, like every other human being convincing thrmselves God is okay with, or approves of, their actions.
    Nope, the only possible explanation is one that doesn't challenge his beliefs. Like always.
    The "No true Scotsman,Priest,Boilermaker" argument could go on forever, but if the Church(any church) thinks a person is a priest, that's really all required. If someone pretends a church has ordained them, that is certainly someone pretending to be a priest. Whether they happen to be an atheist and their atheistic beliefs have something to do with their motivation, is another discussion.

Any class of people who attain that class through the approval of some organization, remain in that class until the organization decides otherwise. This applies to plumbers, doctors, lawyers, Indian Chiefs, and priests. In the meantime, there will always be poor, incompetent and perhaps criminally minded people in all those professions. Being a bad priest does not make one any less of a priest until they take the collar away.

I really don't see what it has to do with the discussion at hand.

7. Top | #37
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What, what, what?

You're the one that brought up money--I'm pointing out there's no financial incentive for the doctors to permit abortion.

8. Top | #38
    Member *
    Archived
    Total Posts

You're the one that brought up money--I'm pointing out there's no financial incentive for the doctors to permit abortion.
    Correct. The only imperative that demands and drive it is ethical/moral: that women deserve choice and children deserve parents who are relatively prepared, to the extent that it was a planned birth.

9. Top | #39
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

But Loren you don't get it. Abortion doctors make their living performing abortions and doctors are well-off. Now, of course, any doctor performing abortions is a physician who could practice medicine without performing abortions. Which means that performing abortions may marginally improve their incomes than if they did not perform abortions, but economic rationality is not a strong suit of the knee jerk anti-abortion crowd.

10. Top | #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

Correct. The only imperative that demands and drive it is ethical/moral: that women deserve choice and children deserve parents who are relatively prepared, to the extent that it was a planned birth.
    As in all walks of life, there are probably all sorts of doctors with a variety of reasons for doing what they do. I would not be at all surprised if some did abortions for business reasons any more than I would be surprised that a doctor do any sort of work to make money.

Ditto organisations, such as Planned Parenthood.

I would however guess that nearly all of the ones doing the procedures do not see it as wrong and that most would see it as right, for a number of reasons.