Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wage theft

1. Top | #11
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    If you're in a disadvantaged position and your employer has all or most of the negotiating strength, the best protection you have against wage theft is to study your legal rights and pay attention to whether or not they are being infringed.

So many of the wage theft examples in the Ipetrich Op happen because of employee ignorance.
    https://freespeech.org/stories/the-wage-theft-epidemic/

No enforcers of the law

Even as the ranks of low-wage workers have swelled since the recession, Democratic and Republican legislatures in more than a dozen states have quietly slashed funding for the agencies that enforce minimum wage law. Budget cuts are no surprise in an era of austerity. Yet the effect of these cuts on wage-and-hour investigative units—charged with examining and settling wage disputes—has seriously compromised an essential line of defense for already vulnerable low-wage earners, according to experts. State labor officials and researchers around the country tell In These Times that low-wage workers facing abusive employers increasingly have nowhere to turn.

The victims of nonpayment of owed wages—referred to as “wage theft”—are most frequently workers at the bottom of the income scale. The U.S. Department of Labor, which significantly expanded its investigative force under former Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, can take wage theft cases, but it is less familiar with local particulars and is prohibited from investigating many employers covered by state laws. Most private attorneys are unwilling to take wage theft cases, since they involve comparatively small sums of money.

Former investigators interviewed for this article say that budget cuts over the past decade have impeded their ability to perform meaningful investigations. They paint a stark picture of weakened enforcement divisions, lacking both necessary staff and funding, that regularly close claims of wage theft that appear legitimate. Such closed cases represent de facto wins for employers.
    Much more in the link.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Funny thing happened on my way to PhD. I discovered I had something people wanted so much they'd hire me and pay me more or less what I wanted with resources I needed to git'rdone with no side agreements. Even patents were mine granted to them to use only as long as I worked with them. Tough life.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Funny thing happened on my way to PhD. I discovered I had something people wanted so much they'd hire me and pay me more or less what I wanted with resources I needed to git'rdone with no side agreements. Even patents were mine granted to them to use only as long as I worked with them. Tough life.
    Yeah, sure. Everyone can get a PhD.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Winston Churchill : "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

Covid-19 is being used as a wage theft opportunity.

Them : Profits are down, so we need to reduce your pay.
    Me : Nope. Not until you show me your P&L report and the salary stats for everyone else in the company.

Them : Business is down. There just isn't enough work.
    Me : That's an argument to reduce my hours, not my hourly rate.

Them : Working from home saves you a lot of time/money commuting.
    Me : So what?

Them : If you dont agree to a pay cut we'll have to let you go.
    Me : You'll 'let me' go? I dont need your permission to go and work for your competitor.
    What if the competitor tells you the same story, and because they are all in much the position, the next few firms that you try. What then?

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member Lumpenproletariat's Avatar
    ^ Why don't I get any pretty jewels? Waaaaa!

Is it "wage theft" if the employer replaces you with cheap labor?

According to Marxist rhetoric, ALL wage-labor is theft, and every penny of profit a capitalist gains is stolen from the working class.

You're not "being forced to" work if you're free to quit.

Just because govt. passes laws requiring employers to pay workers more than they're worth and the employer finds ways to circumvent these laws does not constitute "theft" by that employer.

If you think it does, then, e.g., when some countries prohibited the hiring of Jews for some jobs, and a company circumvented those laws, to get better work done, or less costly work, then you're saying those employers were committing "theft" against non-Jews they should have hired instead. And also those Jewish workers were engaging in "theft" by "stealing" those jobs from the Gentiles who could have been hired legally. According to A.O.C. and other Crybaby Economics crusaders.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If you need to earn a wage or salary, you have to work, if not for this firm or business then that firm or business. Shifting from one place of work to another does not free you from the need to make a living.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Oh. Sorry. I thought everybody understood that to get one one requires a bit luck, persistence, support, required hoops jumped and, for many, a bit of patience.

Much easier than what's required for one to become successful where soul selling often necessary.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Who signs a non-compete which binds you after involuntary separation of employment (termination)?
    People who need a job. BTW: non compete aren't enforceable in most states.
    Right and right. But the Company usually has legal on retainer so no skin off their teeth to threaten, cajole and otherwise coerce.
    After selling startup #2, the acquiring Company took issue with the pre-existing name of the parent Company we had had in place since prior to the inception of the entity that they purchased, as it contained a character subset that was common to both the brand they purchased and the parent Company we retained. Our lawyers basically told us "you will certainly win if you go to court over this, and it will cost between 100 and 200 thousand, which the court may or may not order your purchaser to pay". We changed the name of our parent Company.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Oh. Sorry. I thought everybody understood that to get one one requires a bit luck, persistence, support, required hoops jumped and, for many, a bit of patience.

Much easier than what's required for one to become successful where soul selling often necessary.

10. Top | #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpenproletariat View Post
    ...Just because govt. passes laws requiring employers to pay workers more than they're worth and the employer finds ways to circumvent these laws does not constitute "theft" by that employer.
    Wouldn't this argument cut both ways?

...I'm not paid as much as I deserve, so I will take what's rightfully mine - some printer cartridges, a bit of office stationery, a little bit of cash from the till.