Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Republicans have had Enough?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

How many Republicans have had Enough?

Rank-And-File Republicans Turn On Trump In New Effort To Block His Reelection

“I’d vote for a tuna fish sandwich before I’d vote for Donald Trump again,” said Jack Spielman, who voted for Trump in 2016 but now calls him “toxic.”
    Not that I'd readily admit it in polite company, but I actually like tuna fish sandwiches. I don't know Jack (is he famous or something?), but it doesn't surprise me that people would prefer tuna fish sandwiches to another 4 years of Cheato.

Defending Democracy Together, a collection of anti-Trump conservatives ― says it has nearly 100 video testimonials so far with more to come.
    A measley hundred testimonials? Weak sauce. I'd think it would be easy to garner at least as many testimonials as the number of people killed by Trump's neglect of the pandemic crisis, say 35,000 or so.
    OTOH, I certainly don't see any compilations of Hillary voters trying to re-elect Trump.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_U...rty_nomination

They'll vote for Biden before finding their own new candidate? 2020 really is a weak election year for the US.

3. Top | #3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Colourful Jester View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_U...rty_nomination

They'll vote for Biden before finding their own new candidate? 2020 really is a weak election year for the US.
    Party leadership and the actual Congress and Senate are too scared to go against him, it's up to voters or no one. Which is fair. We got ourselves into this mess, we'll have to get ourselves out.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To answer the OP question - not enough of them.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Well, that’s not the whole story. That’s in addition to the estimated 32% that didn’t vote at all in 2016. If you factor in approval ratings and note that among “strong approval” among Republicans for Trump, the percentage has only decreased (I believe on the order or 8-10% from 2016), then we’re looking at a likely increase in the apathy vote to around 40%.

But of course the biggest voting bloc these days are the Independents. In 2016, 33% didn’t bother voting, but since then, Trump’s popularity among that group has plummeted.

I think the latest YouGov poll has the “strong approval” of Trump among Independents at something like 18%. Which all goes to once again prove that Trump simply does not have the numbers. Which is why he’s going to impeachable lengths to cheat and shut down vote-by-mail and anything else he can do to stop an actual vote.

Not only is he grossly incompetent and an impotent coward, he has never—and can never—win by voter preference alone.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Enough, I believe, to cost Trump the Presidential Election.

Whether Trump actually leaves office in January 2021 is another question. The answer may well depend on whether there are enough Republicans who want to preserve the USA as a democracy, vs accepting the promise of untold riches along with an unelected position of authority following a Trump-led authoritarian overthrow. One would expect that by now, ALL Republicans would know the value of Trump's promises, but evidently that's not the case.

In any event, there almost certainly are NOT enough of them the to allow Democrats to "proof" the government against another Trump via legislation. They won't be able to get Citizens United repealed or overruled due to the corrupt justice(s) on SCOTUS. There won't be enough votes to impeach Trump/Moscow Mitch appointees or add seats to the court to balance it. The Judiciary probably can't be fixed for another generation. The remnants of the GOP, no matter how badly they are defeated in November as long as they don't fall short of 1/3 of the Senate, will fight hard to maintain their revenue streams, foreign and domestic, their systems of voter suppression, gerrymandering and outright cheating.
    It's their only means of retaining any power at all in the face of demographic trends and the Trump albatross around their necks.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    1. Any port in a storm.
    2. I have a bushel more of respect for those conservatives like George F. Will who left the party in '16. But again, any port in a storm.
    3. Even in 2016, Trump was an obvious liar and sadist and con man, who openly abandoned his Birther lie when it was too embarrassing to persist in, so I cannot commend the judgment or ideals of anyone who voted for him. They are either uninformed or full of Barr-like cynicism. But again, a.p.i.a.s.
    4. Since at least the election cycle of 1992, the popularity of candidates rises and falls so fast that predictions even 5 months out from an election are fatuous. (In 2016, the election eve predictions were proven false, almost to a prognosticator.) I can only hope the trend reported in the OP intensifies, and that we can be rid of this bloated tadpole. Four more years of Trump perverting our government, traditions, and standards of decency are unthinkable.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Enough, I believe, to cost Trump the Presidential Election.
    I'd guess that it will add to the dog pile.

Whether Trump actually leaves office in January 2021 is another question. The answer may well depend on whether there are enough Republicans who want to preserve the USA as a democracy, vs accepting the promise of untold riches along with an unelected position of authority following a Trump-led authoritarian overthrow. One would expect that by now, ALL Republicans would know the value of Trump's promises, but evidently that's not the case.
    I'd say that there is no love for Clownstick among the military leadership, the CIA, FBI, NSA, Secret Service, Federal Marshals, et.al. I don't think him being assisted out the door will be very hard, no matter the Repug silence.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    I don't think him being assisted out the door will be very hard, no matter the Repug silence.
    Off camera, a lot of repubs want him gone, but don't want to be the one who takes him out. Once Bonespurs is a lame duck, he's going to be a pariah.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    I don't think him being assisted out the door will be very hard, no matter the Repug silence.
    Off camera, a lot of repubs want him gone, but don't want to be the one who takes him out. Once Bonespurs is a lame duck, he's going to be a pariah.
    And pooooor Ivanka....trying to huckster the Trump brand in 2021 will be a tough one...