Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simulations/matrix and the speed of light

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Simulations/matrix and the speed of light

For people who think there is no way we are in a simulation, maybe you could think hypothetically...

I think I read somewhere that the speed of light would make there be a limit to how CPU intensive the simulation is...

Also time and space being relatively discrete (rather than infinite precision) means it can theoretically be simulated on a computer.

Apparently time slows down due to gravity (related to how crowded things are) - which would also reduce the CPU usage.

BTW the type of simulation I believe in uses "level of detail" rather than always explicitly simulating every particle in the universe.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What we perceive computers to be may not relate to what a super-civilization, should one exist, uses to run a simulated universe.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    What we perceive computers to be may not relate to what a super-civilization, should one exist, uses to run a simulated universe.
    I think that maybe a simulation would involve some "machine learning" like Flight Simulator 2020 I think any kind of computer would have issues with things like infinite precision (for space and time) and infinite speeds.... (maybe)

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    BTW something related is that there is a "law" about the conservation of information.... for some reason information can't be destroyed. That has a strong connection to the simulation idea I think.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    About space being discrete:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...s-not-discrete

There is the Planck scale but according to that article empty space is completely continuous... (if I understood it correctly)

6. Top | #6
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    About space being discrete:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...s-not-discrete

There is the Planck scale but according to that article empty space is completely continuous... (if I understood it correctly)
    There is nothing to say that a Planck length is a true physical granularity. A Planck length is only the smallest distance that any meaningful statements can be made about using our current physics models... the same for Planck time.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    @skepticalbip

Hi what do you think of the speed of light thoughts? Does it make some sense?

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    There is nothing to say that a Planck length is a true physical granularity. A Planck length is only the smallest distance that any meaningful statements can be made about using our current physics models... the same for Planck time.
    I guess the reason why is complicated?

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have nothing to contribute beyond put up a more representative population model of participants.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As this is a "pseudoscience" forum, I suppose I don't have to take it so seriously...

In a simulation, there is usually some part of the world the simulator is interested in. For example, weather simulations don't care about solar system models or animal husbandry. They simulate part of reality and half-ass the rest.

Are we in a part that is the purpose of the simulation? Or are we in a part that's half-assed? We don't know. It could be that the entire point of the simulation is to see how black holes evolve over a trillion years, and we're just some simulation artifact that happens sometimes when starting conditions are right, and could be skew the results if not wiped out.