Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

1. Top | #611
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

I don't know that I can attribute any of this to racism. I think it's more that the driver didn't "respect my authoritah!"
    Seconded. I think this is a POPO case (pissed off police officer.)
    Well, fatty cop has been fired.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

2. Top | #612
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    What the fuck does a cop mistaking her gun for a taser have to do with "system racism"? Really. What the actual fuck?
    I seem to recall a number of such instances. But not when "the subject" is white.
    White people aren't scary enough to cause officers to lose their shit, draw, aim and fire one thing thinking it's another thing.
    Capische?
    You forgot to answer the question Trausti - Are you not in favor of changing the system whereby an individual "gets to be" a cop?
    What system are you talking about?
    Welcome to my ignore list. Reading comprehension certainly isn't your forté.

3. Top | #613
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias
    Using information obtained through public record requests, the Stanford Open Policing Project examined almost 100 million traffic stops conducted from 2011 to 2017 across 21 state patrol agencies, including California, Illinois, New York and Texas, and 29 municipal police departments, including New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and St. Paul, Minnesota.

The results show that police stopped and searched black and Latino drivers on the basis of less evidence than used in stopping white drivers, who are searched less often but are more likely to be found with illegal items. The study does not set out to conclude whether officers knowingly engaged in racial discrimination, but uses a more nuanced analysis of traffic stop data to infer that race is a factor when people are pulled over — and that it's occuring across the country.

"Because of this analysis, we're able to get to that anecdotal story to say this is really happening," said Sharad Goel, an assistant professor in management science and engineering at Stanford and a co-author of the study.
    Part of the research:
    Police stops: A "veil of darkness" test was done to analyze whether black drivers are being pulled over at a higher rate during the day than at night, when officers would have a harder time distinguishing race from a distance. After adjusting for the variation in sunset times across the year, researchers found a 5 to 10 percent drop in the share of stopped drivers after sunset who are black, suggesting black drivers are being racially profiled during the day.
    The Stanford Open Policing Project
    Currently, a comprehensive, national repository detailing interactions between police and the public doesn’t exist. That’s why the Stanford Open Policing Project is collecting and standardizing data on vehicle and pedestrian stops from law enforcement departments across the country — and we’re making that information freely available. We’ve already gathered over 200 million records from dozens of state and local police departments across the country.
    Great work.

4. Top | #614
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    So what if it is? The perception in the black community is precisely this. The perception has been created by numerous examples. A white guy goes on a shooting rampage against Asians, and is captured without serious incident and the officer describes him as having a bad day. A black kid is stopped for having something dangling on his rear view mirror, or because he passed a counterfeit bill, or because he was speeding and he’s dead.
    This is just you cherry picking cases. Vast majority of black suspects are arrested as well, included murderers.

5. Top | #615
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias

Part of the research:

The Stanford Open Policing Project
    Currently, a comprehensive, national repository detailing interactions between police and the public doesn’t exist. That’s why the Stanford Open Policing Project is collecting and standardizing data on vehicle and pedestrian stops from law enforcement departments across the country — and we’re making that information freely available. We’ve already gathered over 200 million records from dozens of state and local police departments across the country.
    Great work.
    I look forward to Loren's nuanced and detailed analysis of why this is wrong.

I'll summarize: "Nuh-uh!"

6. Top | #616
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Big Twitter thread:
    The Recount on Twitter: "Warning: Graphic footage ..." / Twitter
    Warning: Graphic footage, including the shooting

Here's the body camera footage of the killing of Daunte Wright that was just released.

Press conference attendee reacts to body cam footage of the killing of Daunte Wright:

“Oh my god, you’re telling me that wasn’t enough to terminate this officer?”

Brooklyn Center, MN Police Chief Tim Gannon calls Daunte Wright’s killing an “accidental discharge.”

He says: “It is my belief that the officer had the intention to employ their taser, but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet.”

Reporter: "Why is it that police officers in the United States keep killing young Black men and young Black women at a far far far higher rate than they do white people?"

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon: "I don't have an answer to that question."

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, Mayor Mike Elliott on police killing of Daunte Wright:

“I do fully support releasing the officer of her duties.”

After Brooklyn Center, MN, City Manager Curt Boganey says officer who shot Daunte Wright will get “due process.”

Presser attendee tells him, “Daunte Wright did not get due process in that situation — she needs to be fired immediately.”

Brooklyn Center, MN, City Manager Curt Boganey, who has control over police department personnel, received some pushback after these comments:

“All employees … are entitled to due process with respect to discipline.”
    How to make right-wingers act like card-carrying members of the ACLU: charge them with something.

They become born-again civil libertarians VERY quickly.

7. Top | #617
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon on whether he authorized use of tear gas and rubber bullets during protests last night:

“Police action is made by me, the decision is made by me. Does that answer your question?”

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon gets emotional while responding to attendees at presser about police killing of Daunte Wright:

“I’m the leader of this department. They expect me to lead, create a safe city … yeah I’m emotional.”

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon: “I am committed to protecting the peaceful protesters of the city. Every day.”

Press conference attendee: “Not yesterday.”

Chief: “Peaceful protesters.”

Police in full riot gear are stationed in Brooklyn Center, MN.

Biden: “Was it an accident or was it intentional? That remains to be determined ...”

“In the meantime, I want to make it clear again: There is absolutely no justification, none, for looting ... Peaceful protest? Understandable.”

Biden's answer to what he can deliver on in terms of reforming policing, one day later:

"A lot, and I'll tell ya later, let's go."
    I agree with President Biden here. Peaceful protests are good. Looting and destruction of property are bad.

8. Top | #618
    Archived
    Total Posts

9. Top | #619
    Veteran Member
    how about.... "decommission"?

10. Top | #620