Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone thinking about hiking to the Into the Wild bus...

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    Thankfully I'm not dumb enough to do anything like that.
    I think part of the problem is the standard problem of too many warnings.

I'm thinking of a sign in Death Valley warning about hiking past the sign because of the heat. A summer afternoon, take that sign with a lot of respect. A winter morning, it's meaningless. The problem is the sign doesn't in any way indicate what it's really applicable to. It's a permanent fixture, not something that's put up and taken down by need.

I've also found a similar sign out in the Valley of Fire (the "Fire" has to do with the rock color, not the temperature) that I found in the winter.

People get so used to such meaningless warnings (few people would go far enough to find the sign on a summer afternoon) that important warnings get tuned out.

I think we need a much better system for warnings about intermittent threats. They need to specifically include what controls the threat level.
    Tricky to determine, though. Years of taking students out to both of the locations you specifically describe have taught me that one person's "beginner" hike is another person's "moderate", and one person's "uncomfortably hot" is another person's "heatstroke in 10, 9, 8...." Unfortunately, with hiking as with many things, there's no real substitute for experience.
    There is no "safe" time to hike the Stampede Trail. You have to be prepared for unsafe conditions anytime you set out on a trail like that. The tourists going out to see the bus rarely were.

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post
    There is no "safe" time to hike the Stampede Trail. You have to be prepared for unsafe conditions anytime you set out on a trail like that. The tourists going out to see the bus rarely were.
    I do not doubt it, I've met their type.

3. Top | #13
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    Thankfully I'm not dumb enough to do anything like that.
    I think part of the problem is the standard problem of too many warnings.

I'm thinking of a sign in Death Valley warning about hiking past the sign because of the heat. A summer afternoon, take that sign with a lot of respect. A winter morning, it's meaningless. The problem is the sign doesn't in any way indicate what it's really applicable to. It's a permanent fixture, not something that's put up and taken down by need.

I've also found a similar sign out in the Valley of Fire (the "Fire" has to do with the rock color, not the temperature) that I found in the winter.

People get so used to such meaningless warnings (few people would go far enough to find the sign on a summer afternoon) that important warnings get tuned out.

I think we need a much better system for warnings about intermittent threats. They need to specifically include what controls the threat level.
    Tricky to determine, though. Years of taking students out to both of the locations you specifically describe have taught me that one person's "beginner" hike is another person's "moderate", and one person's "uncomfortably hot" is another person's "heatstroke in 10, 9, 8...." Unfortunately, with hiking as with many things, there's no real substitute for experience.
    I'm not talking about difficulty, I'm talking about hazard level. In either location at summer heat running out of water is life threatening no matter how experienced you are.

4. Top | #14
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    And man, any popular hike remotely close to Las Vegas is a danger magnet worse than the Magic Bus ever was! I wish less people would find their way up there, they're fucking up the springs and vandalizing the art, it's worse every time I go.
    The only thing around here that I think is a danger magnet is the Arizona (aka Ringbolt) Hot Springs--and they shut down the trailhead for the summer season. Other than that nothing comes to mind where you are liable to get in too far without realizing you're doing so. People who die in the wilderness are mostly those who go out without enough water and those who fall while scrambling. We did have one earlier this year who went out without anything for diabetes management.