Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #461
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Looks good, I haven't cooked with pork much, might be worth checking out.
    Yeah, pork is a challenge. Either you need to feature the flavor of the pork fat or augment it with spices and sugar. That recipe called for pork loin instead of pork shoulder to avoid any greasiness in the sauce. A bit of molasses gets added at the very end of cooking. Sometimes a plain old pork loin chop in a skillet brings out the best flavor of the meat but it doesn't seem to benefit from searing like beef does. In that regard it's a lot like chicken breast.

And speaking of spice, one other interesting development in our gastronomic world is that I added a few Thai Chili peppers to our recent batch of curry. After trying the curry out I was surprised how much the peppers added to the flavour, both partner and I liked it quite a bit. We were expecting it to be too hot, but it came out quite balanced.
    I've heard that heat from chili peppers allows using less salt. And the heat can be counterbalanced with sugar. That seems to be a key combination with Thai and other southeast Asian cooking.

I made two pots - coconut milk and tomato based - put two diced peppers in each, and let them marinate for about 25 minutes. That seemed to diffuse the pepper through the curries.
    Seeds or no seeds?

2. Top | #462
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Today I had a banana and coffee for breakfast AND elevenses. Lunch was the crab salad I made yesterday on a wrap. Later I made some hummus and had a hummus wrap and baked sweet potato fries.

Tonight I'm eating fruit pops like there's no tomorrow. So good. These are just the no sugar added fruit pops. If it weren't for the sugar, I could go through those giant packs of freeze pops that are like 1,000 for a dollar. I'd have them eaten in a weekend and probably die of hypertriglyceridemia before they were gone. I love ice pops, if you can't tell.
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

3. Top | #463
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    I've heard that heat from chili peppers allows using less salt. And the heat can be counterbalanced with sugar. That seems to be a key combination with Thai and other southeast Asian cooking.

Seeds or no seeds?
    That makes sense. I've made a number of Asian sauces in the past year, and many seem to feature both hot/sweet.

As for the seeds, I'm fairly new to hot peppers but my assumption was that ideally you remove the seeds. In these curries (and the Vietnamese sauce I made, reason I bought the peppers) I tried to remove all of the seeds, but likely a few got in to the curry.

The first few times I worked with Thai Chilis I did it with bare hands, and my hands stung for quite a while after. This time I wore an awkward pair of rubber gloves that didn't fit well, so it made it a challenge to really dice/de-seed properly. I figured letting a few seeds in to the sauce and curry wouldn't hurt much.