Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #491
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Today we had a Butternut Squash that was on the larger side and that my wife didn't want to mash again, so I ended up making my first Butternut Squash soup.

I'm of the maxim that the more flavour the better (as long as they're complementary), so I did a little tweaking of the recipe I found. Along with the squash I included chopped, cooked onion, a hearty dose of garlic, basil, oregano, maple syrup (which the recipe called for), fish sauce, and three diced Thai Chilis.

It turned out great, but I likely could have scaled it back to two Chilis.

2. Top | #492
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Today we had a Butternut Squash that was on the larger side and that my wife didn't want to mash again, so I ended up making my first Butternut Squash soup.

I'm of the maxim that the more flavour the better (as long as they're complementary), so I did a little tweaking of the recipe I found. Along with the squash I included chopped, cooked onion, a hearty dose of garlic, basil, oregano, maple syrup (which the recipe called for), fish sauce, and three diced Thai Chilis.

I add turmeric, cumin, ground coriander seeds, paprika and mustard or curry powder to mine.

3. Top | #493
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Easy dinner tonight.

Bilby is having snags. I am having marinated salmon. We are both having potato wedges.

All of it goes in the oven.

4. Top | #494
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post

I add turmeric, cumin, ground coriander seeds, paprika and mustard or curry powder to mine.
    That sounds like it would be the more common way to make it, almost curry like. I did enjoy my version quite a bit, although maybe a bit too fiery. Coriander and mustard seem like they would have made good additions to it, cumin could replace the chilis if one was so inclined.

5. Top | #495
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We've been enjoying the first blackberries of the season for about a week now. The two varieties are Chester and triple Crown, both thornless which makes for easy picking. SWe've also been eating the first apples of the season, an early variety called Pristine. The deer are also very attracted to the apples, both leaves and fruit.

Apples are easy to identify as ripe. Not so blackberries. Blackberries are only fully ripe when they come off with the gentlest tug. The berry is still good if fully blackened but might be slightly tart otherwise.

6. Top | #496
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Ooh, I love b squash soup.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

7. Top | #497
    Squadron Leader
    For lunch, we had seven different vegetable dishes, ALL from my wife's garden! My favorite is a type of gourd. One of the vegetables (tiny eggplants) were very bitter: Impressive how people gradually learned over centuries which bitter vegetables are nutritious, and which are poisonous. The other vegetables included the leaves and flowers of katurai (Sesbania grandiflora), okra, water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica), kabocha (a squash), and the leaves and stem of ivy gourd (Coccinia grandis). (I didn't know the English names of most of these; found them just now by Googling the Thai name.)

My wife has enjoyed growing vegetables (and hunting for them in wild forests) for decades. But with her recent illness, she's gone into overdrive. We also grow several different fruits and condiments, though our home-grown garlic is not enough to meet our demand!

We also had pineapples and pork. The pineapples are given to us by a neighbor. Two other neighbors raise pigs, but we buy pork elsewhere.

My wife tries very hard to ensure my diet is healthy. But late at night, I over-indulge on junk like chocolate and ice cream.