Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #81
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    Brought a pack of Roast Beef and Gravy potato chips.

Never again.
    Is thst like the Turkey, Gravy, and Cranberries gum? The gravy gumball tasted like gravy for ten seconds, and then you tasted grease for an hour and a half.

2. Top | #82
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just sat here and ate way too much pasta salad.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

3. Top | #83
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My wife made spaghetti with homemade sauce from freshly picked cherry tomatoes and freshly picked basil from her garden cooked in olive oil and some garlic. Served with a garden salad and some french bread.

I love this time of year when her tomatoes are ripe. Fresh tomatoes are sooo delicious.

4. Top | #84
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Tonight, we have grilled walleye (I marinade it in some olive oil), grilled corn on the cob, and a fresh garden salad of lettuce, shredded carrots and some home grown freshly picked tomatoes.

5. Top | #85
    Archived
    Total Posts
    OK laughing dog you got me going. I prefer trout. Up front I have to say I'm probably in a better position for sampling given I live on the coast in a fishing village with five small rivers-creeks and several more moderate rivers flowing down from the coastal range nearby. Many friends fish in all of them share.

Just checking. In oregon, around Portland actually when I was young, I found perch often in muddier places so you can judge for yourself. Developed a taste for Brook trout and Rainbow trout found in clear water environments in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming as a teen.

Now walleye, here in oregon they are found in the Willamette and Columbia rivers mainly. When near there as young adult I fished only for Chinook. While I was there as a young child many of mom's "uncles" fished for perch in muddy, sometimes smelly places.

Since fish taste generally reflect their environment. Commentaries are that Walleye taste like chicken. So do rattlesnakes. You can gather for yourself my attitude about walleye and trout.

Actually I like fresh anything. Since walleye, for me to experience, requires I go elsewhere it's not as fresh. OK?

6. Top | #86
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In my experience, walleye tastes nothing like chicken. So far in my life, I have yet to find a variety of fish that I do not like. My wife prefers "red" fish to "white" fish.

This walleye was frozen, and, in my limited experience, walleye survives freezing rather well - it keeps its flavor and cooks nicely. Some varieties of fish in my experience do not survive freezing as well - haddock and cod come to mind. If we get that fish frozen, we tend to use it a soup.

7. Top | #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    The cabbage wilts nicely to create a broth.
    I also chucked in some Worcestershire sauce.
    Mmmmm.
    Sounds like pure poetry.
    I think I'll try that this week with some pork loin.
    Tried making this in a Dutch oven today with the pork loin, cabbage and Worcestershire sauce. Browned the pork on all sides first. Turned out ok but would have been better with some bacon added.

8. Top | #88
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Smoked spare ribs

A big slab of spare ribs, with a dry rub of Tony Chachere's salt free spice mix and fajita mix. Smoked with indirect heat at 225 degrees for 45 minutes with oak and hickory. Then basted with a mix of olive oil and honey and wrapped in foil. Left in the smoker for another hour.

Very tender, good smoke flavor. I'm going to use this formula again.