Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #471
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Pasta is not is not in our diet, alas...
    Rice noodles then?

2. Top | #472
    Shrimp and Swai fried with ginger, cilantro and bread crumbs + broccoli, Vidalia onions and rice.

Angel hair pasta would have worked better. The cilantro seemed out of place. At least the broccoli wasn't overcooked.

3. Top | #473
    Good to see everyone is eating out lately.

Me, I've been making do with my current repertoire:

• Oven fried chicken thigh or breast in a cast iron skillet with potatoes and carrots.
    • Spaghetti with ground turkey meatballs.
    • Angel hair pasta with collard greens and chicken breast or shrimp.
    • Mexican pork adovada with baked potato and broccoli.
    • Fried swai fillet with rice and broccoli with a side of shrimp and asparagus soup.
    • Top round Angus steak plus baked potato and broccoli.

I usually have a salad too just because I really love the the dressing I came up with that uses hummus instead of mayonnaise along with added tahini, rice vinegar, and olive oil, plus lots of fresh garlic and whatever other spices come to mind.

Along with either focaccia or homemade bread plus yogurt and fruit for breakfast ... that's about it. I've been tempted to perfect the beef chili I started on but the only way it seems to work is with ground beef, which is never very lean (as in low cholesterol) or inexpensive. But it tastes seriously good and ground beef is on sale this week so I might just go for it.

4. Top | #474
    Contributor
    Dinner

Ground beef cooked with peppers, onions, and asparagus topped with a tomato sauce.

5. Top | #475

Adventures with beef steak.

About a week ago I tried something that I saw on Steven Raichlen's "Primal Grill" called hay-smoking. He placed a handful of hay on a bed of coals in a grill. Then placed the steaks on a rack over a pan of ice cubes at the cooler end of the grill and closed the top for about 5 minutes. Then he went ahead and grilled the steaks. I happened to have a steak defrosting in the fridge and a bale of hay in the basement. I placed some hay in an old colander inside my grill and suspended the steak on a rack over that, with a small pan in between to shield it from direct flames. (Didn't see the point of the ice cubes.) Lit the hay with my blowtorch and closed the lid. Anyway, it produced tons of smoke for about 5 minutes. Then into the oven at 275F for 30 minutes and seared it with the blowtorch, per my usual procedure. Tasted very smoky. And yet something was off. Not exactly grassy, but not like wood-smoked either. Not worth repeating. That's the problem with cooking shows. They have to have something new each episode whether it's good or not.

Today I did steak again the usual way. But besides olive oil, salt, and black pepper, I added some Spanish smoked paprika. That was just enough smoky flavor for me. And as it happens there was an episode of "Milk Street" tv on today that featured a salsa made from a good amount of cilantro, roasted jalapeno, roasted garlic, olive oil, sugar, salt and lime juice all done up in a food processor. I had everything on hand! Turned out very well with lots of flavor while still letting the beefiness shine through. So I'm thinking I'm done with beef stews in favor of keeping it simple and experimenting with different salsas.

6. Top | #476
    Following up on the cilantro-based salsa. I didn't want to cook tonight so I decided to go with sardines. Yeah, I've been avoiding them ever since I stocked up during a Costco sale last year. But the salsa I made last night was pretty amazing and thought it might work to cancel some of the over-powering fishiness. Well it turned out great! No fishy, just savory. I spread some plain hummus on 3 Wasa rye crackers, placed the sardines on top, and spread on the salsa. Really good along with a glass of chardonnay. And no lingering aftertaste. Along with a salad it makes a nice warm-weather meal.

And I got to have dinner while watching a rerun of one of the early Star Trek NG episodes in which Michele Phillips appears as Picard's former lover. Doesn't get any better than that.

7. Top | #477
    I made up a big batch of the cilantro-jalapeno salsa and was looking for other salsa recipes to try with steak, fish, and veg. Was watching a Milk Street tv episode about Vietnamese dishes so I tried their scallion-ginger salsa. Lots of minced scallions, salt, and black pepper. Heat some oil to almost boiling and pour over the top so that it sizzles. Add soy sauce, sugar, and a good amount of fresh ginger. It seems most recipes for Vietnamese scallion sauce just use scallions, and it's supposed to be good with almost anything. This recipe with the soy sauce and ginger is probably best with meats. That said I tried it with rice, and sauteed fish and shrimp and it was OK. Looking forward to trying it with a steak though. While having that for dinner I was watching a rerun of CNN's "Stanley Tucci, Searching for Italy: Naples". He covered an impoverished suburb called Scampia that's home to many immigrants. One of the recipes that's popular there is chopped meats wrapped in savoy cabbage and sauteed. Hey, I think I've got some savoy cabbage in the fridge (that's been there for about 3 months). Yep, still good. So while eating the fish I steamed a couple leaves and then wrapped some leftover rice in them along with some scallion-ginger sauce and sauteed them until browned on two sides. Not bad at all! Savoy cabbage doesn't have much flavor, but it works great as a wrapper.

Sorry for the bad focus.