Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #361
    Made a new recipe I got off Milk Street tv show called Roman Braised Beef. As with almost all my stews it turned out a bit underwhelming. I've come to the conclusion that using lean cuts of meat, whether it's beef, pork, or chicken, just doesn't work with a stew. I used a top round cut for the beef and it came out pull-apart tender. But it lacked that beefy flavor you get from just cooking it low and slow in the oven and then searing in a skillet. It seems all the flavor comes out of the meat when it's simmered for hours in a sauce. That happens with my Chili Verde with pork too where I use the loin cut. And yet I enjoy the same lean cuts when cooked at 275 for 1/2 hr in the oven and then pan seared. So I'm now thinking that the way to go is using that method but instead of going through all the trouble to make a stew I'll just serve it along with some type of salsa or tapenade like ronburgundy recently described in the thread on toppings for bread. That said, I made a batch of spaghetti sauce with turkey meatballs today. We'll see how it turned out at dinner tomorrow, but this is a recipe that's been evolving over many years and is now pretty much a sure thing. Really made a mess of the kitchen, but it should yield 10 or 12 servings that I'll freeze. Tomorrow I'll start the day by baking a loaf of bread. That's another sure thing.

2. Top | #362
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    And for “dessert,” it is several spoonsful of maple syrup as I boil down sap from our trees. Cannot tell you how good homemade maple syrup is. It beggars belief.
    You've succeeded in making me envious.

3. Top | #363
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    And for “dessert,” it is several spoonsful of maple syrup as I boil down sap from our trees. Cannot tell you how good homemade maple syrup is. It beggars belief.
    When I was a kid my dad made maple syrup. He tapped all the sugar maples and made lot of it over several seasons. Somehow one jar was saved. I wonder how a 1973 jar of syrup would be?

At the moment though I'm included to never open it and pass it down the generations as a family heirloom.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Top | #364
    I still have a quart jar of honey mixed with comb that I saved from when I had a couple bee hives 40 years ago. I think I'll ask to be buried with it.

5. Top | #365
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Made a big pot of chicken broccoli mushroom pasta soup. It's kinda meh. I'm gonna add more seasoning, and maybe add something to thicken it. I expect it will taste better reheated tomorrow. Meanwhile, it's fine, just kinda weak in flavor.
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

6. Top | #366
    Dinner. Roman Braised Beef with baked potato and sauted asparagus with kalamata olives. Turned out OK. I don't usually splurge on asparagus but it was on sale for 88 cents/pound so I bought the maximum 4 pounds. Next project is to blanch and freeze what's left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Top | #367
    Archived
    Total Posts
    NOM. That looks and sounds amazing, Treedbear.
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

8. Top | #368
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kroger's had shaved beef on sale, bogo. So it's philly steak sandwiches for dinner. Swiss cheese instead of provolone.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #369
    I tried something interesting. Lots of recipes call for roasting or charring veggies such as peppers, tomatoes or tomatillos before pureeing them. They usually suggest placing them on a gas fired stove and turning them until they've reached the appropriate shade of blackness. I don't have gas and trying to roast them under my mini-oven's broiler produced less than substantial results. So why not use a propane torch? I mean I've seen chefs use one for putting a sear on fish. So I tried it on some red bell peppers before I chopped them up and added them to my spaghetti sauce and it seems to work great! The sauce turned out great and I think the charring helped. And it only took a few seconds. I used a standard Benzomatic torch with an igniter with a cylinder of MAPP gas.

Blowtorches are used to brown and sear food cooked by low-temperature sous-vide techniques. Myhrvold recommends in Modernist cuisine: the art and science of cooking that MAPP gases should be used in preference to cheaper butane or propane as they produce higher temperatures with less risk of giving the food a gas flavour, as can happen with incompletely combusted gas.
    I takes a few seconds to completely blacken the skin of a large red bell pepper. It was like painting it on. So easy!

10. Top | #370
    So I blanched my 4 pounds of asparagus after snapping off the tough ends. In researching how to blanch asparagus one site mentioned that the ends should be saved and used for soup. So after boiling the tender parts for a few minutes and shocking them with ice water (actually snow water as there was still some out in the yard) and dividing them up and freezing them in sandwich bags, I put the ends in a saucepan, covered them with an inch of water and simmered for 90 minutes. I let them cool down, cut into 1/2" pieces, and placed it all in a blender until smooth. Then pressed all the juice out in a colander and placed in the fridge. Today I used it to make some soup with 1.5 pounds Russet potatoes, garlic, celery, salt, pepper, and shrimp. I was hoping to get 6, 2 cup servings so I ended up adding 2, 15 oz. cans of cannellini beans at the last minute. But it turned out very well. The original recipe didn't include the beans or shrimp, and it called for pureeing the finished product after cooking, but it turned out plenty thick and creamy and the chucks of potatoes, shrimp and beans played well together so I skipped that step. The asparagus flavor was something a little special, although it became a bit diluted after adding the canned beans. I got my 6 serving though. Oh yeah, and I have 11, 4 oz. servings of asparagus in the freezer. I tried to sauté one tonight and it was good but not as good as fresh. Somewhere between too tough and too tender. It was the first time I tried to blanch anything so maybe I did something wrong.