Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #341
    Baked a loaf of bread. Made a half gallon of yogurt. Tried a new recipe from tv today. Ikarian Braised Pork from Milk Street and credited to Diane Kochilas who does her own show that airs on PBS called My Greek Table. Came out really nice. I've given up on the Chili Verde con Cerdo. I've tried other pork stews without coming up with anything that didn't leave me thinking I should have just pan seared a chop. This recipe calls for pork shoulder but I opt for the leaner pork loin cut. I just add extra olive oil. Cut it up into 2 inch cubes, browned each in a Dutch oven. Removed and cooked down some red onions plus white wine. Added fennel seeds, dry rosemary, dry oregano, a bay leaf, some buckwheat honey and some water. Into a 325F oven for 2 hours. Remove pork and added the juice and zest from one orange, a little more olive oil, and more buckwheat honey. Reduced over low heat to thicken a bit. Added a little more dry oregano and a dash of apple cider vinegar and then mix in the pork until coated. There wasn't much sauce even though I lowered the ratio of pork to the other ingredients. But it was tasty. I got 3 servings out of 2 pounds of pork loin. The pork flavor came through nicely and the orange/buckwheat honey made a nice contrast similar to a Chinese sweet and sour sauce. Best part it was easy and more interesting than a plain pork chop.
    Last edited by Treedbear; 02-23-2021 at 04:41 AM.

2. Top | #342
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Against all natural law, I extended the high calorie holiday eatin' season and baked Norwegian Christmas Bread (Julekake) yesterday. I fear that my workouts at the Y will not cover it.

3. Top | #343
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I made tuna macaroni salad. Tuna (water packed), farfalle pasta, yellow bell peppers, onion, celery and boiled eggs. But instead of drowning it in mayo, I used a fat-free balsamic vinaigrette. Came out quite tasty.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

4. Top | #344
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nothing too extravagant but we've started blanching our vegetables lately (boiling in water). I mentioned it before, but lately it's turning out well as we've figured out we can cook them in our larger, stock pot, rather than being confined to our steamer or a small pot. So now we'll buy 2-3 heads of broccoli per week (or other vegetables), and cook a massive amount of it all at once, stem included. Takes ten minutes and we have broccoli for three or four meals.

5. Top | #345
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    African Chicken Peanut soup leftovers, but also thinking of making some broccoli and rice mushroom casserole later.

I like Rhea's idea of steaming a ton of vegetables at once to eat over several days. I love keeping food preparation to a minimum while still having real food available.
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

6. Top | #346
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Nothing too extravagant but we've started blanching our vegetables lately (boiling in water). I mentioned it before, but lately it's turning out well as we've figured out we can cook them in our larger, stock pot, rather than being confined to our steamer or a small pot. So now we'll buy 2-3 heads of broccoli per week (or other vegetables), and cook a massive amount of it all at once, stem included. Takes ten minutes and we have broccoli for three or four meals.
    I just cook most of my fresh vegetables in the microwave. It's quick, easy and you lose less of the water soluble vitamins that way. If we don't finish eating all of our fresh microwaved vegetables, we give them to our dogs, who love all vegetables as much as we do.

I do make asparagus with butter and lemon juice in a pan. It takes all of 5 minutes and they are delicious that way.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...the%20details.

Some nutrients break down when they're exposed to heat, whether it is from a microwave or a regular oven. Vitamin C is perhaps the clearest example. But because microwave cooking times are shorter, cooking with a microwave does a better job of preserving vitamin C and other nutrients that break down when heated.

As far as vegetables go, cooking them in water robs them of some of their nutritional value because the nutrients leach out into the cooking water. For example, boiled broccoli loses glucosinolate, the sulfur-containing compound that may give the vegetable its cancer-fighting properties (as well as the taste that many find distinctive and some find disgusting). Is steaming vegetables — even microwave steaming — better? In some respects, yes. For example, steamed broccoli holds on to more glucosinolate than boiled or fried broccoli.
    Make it easy on yourself. Cut up what you plan to eat for any given meal, pop them into the microwave for 4 or 5 minutes and enjoy.

7. Top | #347
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have never liked Mac n cheese. It's what the boys make for themselves when my wife and I don't feel like cooking. Usually it comes after I've made something on the grill or oven and there may only be enough leftovers for me and my wife.

Or it's also true that the boys have something stuck up their butts about leftovers. They love the breaded chicken my wife makes but we can't get them to eat the leftovers the next night. So if they aren't going to eat the leftovers we aren't making them anything. It's up to them.

It seems that the only leftovers that they are willing to eat are white rice, plain pasta and cheesy tacos.

Gone are the days when I was a kid. I ate what my mom made for my dad whether I liked it or not. The option was to go hungry.

8. Top | #348
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So what's for dinner tonight? I have no idea. If I had my way I'd cook some of those pre-cooked, ready to warm up BBQ ribs and the boys will make mac n cheese cuz they don't like the ribs.

9. Top | #349
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yesterday I splurged on a fish sandwich and a loaf of Italian bread. Just finished the bread today, enjoying it with olive oil and some salt. I never before tried microwaving day-old bread to moisten it up but it really works.

10. Top | #350
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Yesterday I splurged on a fish sandwich and a loaf of Italian bread. Just finished the bread today, enjoying it with olive oil and some salt. I never before tried microwaving day-old bread to moisten it up but it really works.
    It works for stale cake or muffins as well.

I keep my bakery bread in the freezer and just take out a piece or two when I need it. Last night we had sirloin burgers for dinner and the rolls in the freezer from January were as fresh as they were when I bought them.