Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Mental note: Don't cook green Thai chicken curry, put red cabbage in it, and expect your kids to eat it.

It tastes fine, but looks like baby kak.
    My Brane Hertz

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Pork with rice noodles.

The pork was marinaded overnight in soy sauce, corn starch and baking powder. Stir fried with shiitake, pak choi and red onions. Added an egg, the noodles, and a sauce of light and dark soy sauces and oyster sauce.

3. Top | #13
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Spicy Beef and Vegetable Stew, and partner had a Spicy Pork Bibimbap from a local Korean restaurant. A restaurant that is proof that people born in Canada have no taste.

There's a popular Vietnamese restaurant near our house which cracked the 'medium-sized, predominantly white Canadian city' code. Food that's exotic enough that people think it's interesting, but bland enough that it doesn't turn anybody away. In other words, it's food, and it's cheap, but not great. The Korean restaurant we just picked up food from, on the other hand, and I don't exaggerate, makes some of the most flavourful food in the city. For those who like savory just very, very good food.

And yet local Korean places struggle to survive here, while the boring Vietnamese place is packed seven days a week.

4. Top | #14
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Salmon, rice and asparagus. We broil the salmon with an olive oil, lemon juice and dill basting. For the vegetarians, the same basting on Quorn (micoprotein) filets. We like to use baba ghanouj as a dressing on the salmon.

5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Tonight, we had risotto with scallops and asparagus. I made the risotto, my lovely wife cooked the scallops and the asparagus.

Risotto is a bit time consuming - saute some onions, the add the arborio rice, then some white wine, then 3 cups of chicken broth (1/2 cup each once the previous broth has been absorbed), and at the end, some butter and grated parmesian cheese.

The scallops are sauteed in butter with some salt and pepper. The asparagus was broiled in some olive oil and garlic.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Today is roast beef and vegetables day. The roast is currently on its 20 minute blast before being turned down to about 180C for about 2 hours.

7. Top | #17
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    “Overnight Oatmeal” for breakfast from my daughter. She add 1/2 cup oatmeal (regular, not quick), 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 cup of fruit. You can add as much fruit as you want, and if you want you can add sweetener or cinnamon, etc.

Put it in a jar, screw on the lid, shake it up and put it in the frdge for tomorrow’s breakfast.

Today’s version is made with frozen fruit; peaches and sour cherries. Just pull out of fridge and eat. mmm!

8. Top | #18
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Tonight is grilled steak, grilled corn on the cob, baked potatoes, and leftover salad.

9. Top | #19
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Chili I made that had been frozen for a few weeks and that we took out of the freezer a few days ago. Originally I found a very good vegetarian chili recipe and was making that for a while, but in the last few batches I halved the beans and replaced them with ground beef. So the best of both worlds - the flavor of a vegetarian chili but with meat. It's very good.

This is the vegetarian chili recipe I use, but I ignore the crumbles, add extra jalapeno, onion, and garlic, and am flexible on the type of bean I use - usually just one type of bean that I cook from scratch too. I had someone recommend using Poblano's for the 'green chili pepper' requirement, but I could only find Pickled Pepperoncini locally, which seems to work pretty well.

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    All homemade (we've only eaten one prepared meal in 3 months, pizza):

Breakfast was homemade spinach-feta pies seasoned with garlic, thyme, and lemon zest.
    Lunch was soy-ginger marinaded grilled salmon with blistered green beans and cashews in a sichuan sauce, plus a chilled wild lake rice salad with pecans, cherries, and apples.
    Dinner was several unfiltered double IPAs, followed by some Indian curry seasoned grilled chicken thighs.