Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #291
    Learning to like the chili verde. I re-heated a portion for dinner tonight along with rice. Sensing that something was lacking I tried topping it with fresh chopped cilantro. That was actually part of the original ATK recipe, but I've never been a cilantro fan. But I'd bought some anyway. In my opinion it's what makes this recipe work! And it's best if sprinkled on fresh rather than stirring in prior to re-heating so it maintains it's pungency. Also tried it along with a corn tostado and I think that's the way to go instead of the rice. Actually it was very good and I'll be making it again, but this time I'll leave in the jalapeno seeds for a little kick. And I should really cut back on the salt. The recipe called for 1 tsp. plus 3 more to season the pork before it goes into the fridge. Considering that I only got 3 portions out of a half-recipe that's over my dietary budget.

2. Top | #292
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Stew, and savory buns from the official D&D cookbook.

The buns are like cinnamon rolls, but the filling is minced mushrooms, shallots, parmesan. The bread pretty basic dough, mixed with shredded gruyere.

Stew of beef broth, stew meat, onions, carrots, potatoes, ale. Ale shows up in a lot of the recipes in this book, esp. the section of Dwarf cooking.

3. Top | #293
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Made a pot of chicken and rice soup but somehow way oversalted it. I've made a million soups and stews and made a lot of mistakes but never oversalted. If anything, I under-salt bc salt can be added later to preference or diet need. No idea what I was thinking. So I set it to simmer and condense down and then added unsalted broth and water, twice. That seems to have done the trick and no worse for wear other than mushy overcooked carrots, which, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    The buns are like cinnamon rolls, but the filling is minced mushrooms, shallots, parmesan. The bread pretty basic dough, mixed with shredded gruyere.

I must have this cookbook!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

4. Top | #294
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Making sourdough bread tomorrow so had to feed the starter. This means I also I got to make a stovetop breadcake with almond butter and maple syrup from the old starter. Kinda like a giant pancake only chewy like sourdough bread.

5. Top | #295
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Made a pot of chicken and rice soup but somehow way oversalted it. I've made a million soups and stews and made a lot of mistakes but never oversalted. If anything, I under-salt bc salt can be added later to preference or diet need. No idea what I was thinking. So I set it to simmer and condense down and then added unsalted broth and water, twice. That seems to have done the trick and no worse for wear other than mushy overcooked carrots, which, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post

I must have this cookbook!
    To correct over salting, chuck in a couple of peeled potatoes.

6. Top | #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Yesterday we had salmon. She garnished with mustard, breadcrumbs and a few other ingredients. It was soooooo good I ate it skin and all just like a grizzly. The fillets were individually frozen which made things very easy, just defrost for a day in the fridge.

I'm probably killing the planet but buying a bag of frozen, wild-caught filets from Walmart is the cheapest option with salmon.
    I picked up two 1-pound packs and have been trying some recipes. ... tasted very fishy. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but I kind of expected that with frozen salmon. So I looked up what to do on the web. The usual remedy is to soak salmon in milk for an hour or so. Others say this didn't work but try soaking in salt/sugar solution and then dry rub with the same and wait an hour for liquid to ooze out. I tried the second one but still tasted fishy, even with quite a bit of lemon. ...
    So I tried soaking one salmon fillet in some half-and-half (no milk in fridge) and it worked great! Hardly any fishy-ness! It wasn't like fresh though. It soaked up the milk like sponge. So I figured the only thing to do was dredge in bread crumbs and fry it with some salt, pepper, and onions. But it definitely tasted like salmon. A lot more flavor than my go-to swai or tilapia. ...
    Have to thank TGGMoogley again for the tip on Walmart salmon. Made it again tonight along with rice and broccoli plus sautéed onion and zucchini. I mean, the salmon tasted really good! Almost like it was grilled with a little Worcestershire. But I just used salt and black pepper and it was sooo tasty. Very savory and absolutely no fishy taste after I soaked for 1 hr. in half and half and then coated with plain old store bought bread crumbs. It didn't even take much of the H&H. I just cut open the plastic envelope, added a little H&H, used a clothes pin to clip it to the inside of a sauce pan, and filled the pan with water to force the extra air out of the bag. Easy and fried up quick in a cast iron skillet.

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Top | #297
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Today I made a large amount of coleslaw from cabbage leftover from the soup last weekend. Half in the freezer, half in the fridge. I'm realizing that the dressing for coleslaw is pretty forgiving, I quickly threw together mayo, Dijon mustard, and white vinegar and it turned out well.

For dinner I threw together a little tomato sauce / shrimp concoction. A few cloves of garlic, red pepper flakes, and the shrimp directly on the pan for two minutes, then added a small amount of bottled tomato sauce and simmered for eight minutes. We topped it with grated parmesan also left over from last weekend.

After making a few tomato sauces from scratch over the summer I'm appreciating bottled sauce more and more, so much easier. But I've started thinking of them as a base and adding seasoning, rather than treating them as the sauce for our meals.

8. Top | #298
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts

So I tried soaking one salmon fillet in some half-and-half (no milk in fridge) and it worked great! Hardly any fishy-ness! It wasn't like fresh though. It soaked up the milk like sponge. So I figured the only thing to do was dredge in bread crumbs and fry it with some salt, pepper, and onions. But it definitely tasted like salmon. A lot more flavor than my go-to swai or tilapia. ...
    Have to thank TGGMoogley again for the tip on Walmart salmon. Made it again tonight along with rice and broccoli plus sautéed onion and zucchini. I mean, the salmon tasted really good! Almost like it was grilled with a little Worcestershire. But I just used salt and black pepper and it was sooo tasty. Very savory and absolutely no fishy taste after I soaked for 1 hr. in half and half and then coated with plain old store bought bread crumbs. It didn't even take much of the H&H. I just cut open the plastic envelope, added a little H&H, used a clothes pin to clip it to the inside of a sauce pan, and filled the pan with water to force the extra air out of the bag. Easy and fried up quick in a cast iron skillet.

For whatever reason we've started enjoying most of our fish without much seasoning, or anything really. We bake salmon in our toaster oven at 375 for about 10 - 15 minutes and eat as is, maybe a little dipping sauce. If you keep an eye on it I find baking retains the moisture of salmon a little better than pan-frying. I aim for a pale, translucent pink in the middle.

9. Top | #299
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Today I made a large amount of coleslaw from cabbage leftover from the soup last weekend. Half in the freezer, half in the fridge. I'm realizing that the dressing for coleslaw is pretty forgiving, I quickly threw together mayo, Dijon mustard, and white vinegar and it turned out well.

For dinner I threw together a little tomato sauce / shrimp concoction. A few cloves of garlic, red pepper flakes, and the shrimp directly on the pan for two minutes, then added a small amount of bottled tomato sauce and simmered for eight minutes. We topped it with grated parmesan also left over from last weekend.

After making a few tomato sauces from scratch over the summer I'm appreciating bottled sauce more and more, so much easier. But I've started thinking of them as a base and adding seasoning, rather than treating them as the sauce for our meals.
    FWIW I find hummus gives the same effect as mayo and adds a touch of sesame flavor. I usually have a big salad with dinner, and I like a creamy dressing so I started using low-fat mayo along with the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and herbs. My cholesterol was up a bit last month and so I was looking to cut out the mayo. Also discovered it's great on bread or toast instead of margarine, especially the roasted garlic variety.

Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    For whatever reason we've started enjoying most of our fish without much seasoning, or anything really. We bake salmon in our toaster oven at 375 for about 10 - 15 minutes and eat as is, maybe a little dipping sauce. If you keep an eye on it I find baking retains the moisture of salmon a little better than pan-frying. I aim for a pale, translucent pink in the middle.
    Yeah, I usually over-cook when I pan fry fish, but somehow it turned out moist, although not pink, this time. (These fillets are pretty thin and usually less than 1/3 pound each.) But it might have been due to all the half & half it absorbed. Tasted great. I'm thinking that switching from a non-stick aluminum pan to a cast iron skillet might have had something to do with that.

I've been looking into replacing my old cookware with induction compatible which means multi-clad stainless steel and/or cast iron. Good multi-clad is expensive, and cast iron requires lots of care. But if done right it's supposed to be virtually non-stick.
    Last edited by Treedbear; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.